General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (2 Viewers)

crowley926

HSC
Mod A was really good - couldn't have hoped for a better question

I screwed up Mod B Hamlet though like I'm actually ready to die. The question was so easy and I was so hell-bent on integrating the quote and question (since I always get penalized for not doing that) that I kinda neglected building my own argument/perspective and talked about the quote almost the whole time. Actually spewing though my generic essay was A grade but tbh I'd be lucky to get 14-15/20 for what I actually wrote :((( :cry: why did i do this to myself

Mod C wasn't too bad but still...Hamlet :(

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Mod A was really good - couldn't have hoped for a better question

I screwed up Mod B Hamlet though like I'm actually ready to die. The question was so easy and I was so hell-bent on integrating the quote and question (since I always get penalized for not doing that) that I kinda neglected building my own argument/perspective and talked about the quote almost the whole time. Actually spewing though my generic essay was A grade but tbh I'd be lucky to get 14-15/20 for what I actually wrote :((( :cry: why did i do this to myself

Mod C wasn't too bad but still...Hamlet :(
What? I thought that as long as you have a prepared response, attempt at your very best to adapt to question and conclude it, you'd at least get a 16/20.

atargainz

HSC
This could not be more wrong.

Straight from the syllabus:

Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context

This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of value.

Each elective in this module requires the study of groups of texts which are to be selected from a prescribed text list. These texts may be in different forms or media.

Students examine ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. This includes study and use of the language of texts, consideration of purposes and audiences, and analysis of the content, values and attitudes conveyed through a range of readings.

Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the comparative study of texts and context. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

The question for Module A was deceptive. You had to explicitly and extensively discuss context AND answer the question provided.
welp my bad boyz, im drained, I meant the elective wasn't about comparison, but the module was (since the guy was just talking about intertextual perspectives)

Last edited:

My two cents

HSC
Felt the Advanced test was surprisingly easy: was expecting a curveball for Mod B (Hamlet) but it was the easiest question since they started doing Hamlet back in 2009. However that being said don't wanna jinx myself!

My two cents

HSC
It was pretty silly to ask for Social Manipulation like it means the same thing as manipulation

My two cents

HSC
This could not be more wrong.

Straight from the syllabus:

Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context

This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of value.

Each elective in this module requires the study of groups of texts which are to be selected from a prescribed text list. These texts may be in different forms or media.

Students examine ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. This includes study and use of the language of texts, consideration of purposes and audiences, and analysis of the content, values and attitudes conveyed through a range of readings.

Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the comparative study of texts and context. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

The question for Module A was deceptive. You had to explicitly and extensively discuss context AND answer the question provided.

Mate doesn't matter the question did not explicitly require context: think about for Mod B if you started talking about textual integrity despite the question not asking for textual integrity than you don't answer the question.

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Mate doesn't matter the question did not explicitly require context: think about for Mod B if you started talking about textual integrity despite the question not asking for textual integrity than you don't answer the question.
Except that the module explicitly requires context. Amusingly, textual integrity is also a key part of mod b but you at least might be able to get away with not mentioning it since the entire damn module isn't named after. No Mod A response is complete without a consideration of context.

Last edited:

PhysicsMaths

HSC
intertextual perspectives have nothing to do with the context and values between the two composers. Breaking up the words, intertextual = drawing from or referencing something, perspectives = a point of view. Therefore it is the point of view or attitude the composer is trying to convey regarding contextual concerns of their time. When putting together the module and elective, we were required to compare the intertextual perspectives offered by the two composers to show how similar/differing perspectives can arise from differing contexts. Correct me if i'm wrong ... jks don't care no more english forever wooooooo
Sorry, that's exactly what I meant. I thought I said that in my sentence.

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
I talked about textual integrity in Hamlet through answering the question, and same goes to the other two.

I incorporated the rubric of all modules, as well as rubric on the first paper, into my essays. I focused on them as they pretty much give an increase in marks by understanding what the rubric says. They are also the only answers you'll get before an exam.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I could not have been more happier with the questions! My friends and I were well-prepared but were scared about being screwed by a hard question... During reading time we were cheering!

Module 1 - Gatsby/E.B.B
Was kind of specific but it asked for a discussion of 'desire' which I found so easy to weave into my preexisting arguments of materialism, social status and isolation. Wrote 6 pages (bear in mind I have small-normal handwriting)
Module 2 - Hamlet
Was so thrilled when I read this question! We were anticipating getting specified a character, theme or passage, so to be asked such a broad question that only asked to mention 'bleakness' and 'imbalance' was so perfect - easy to relate to madness, religion and death. 6 pages again.
Module 3 - Crucible
This was the question mark as it's its first year on the syllabus so I was definitely expecting something broad. However after reading the rubric I assumed there would be a greater focus on the text's historical relevance so I think I spent too much time talking about the real life politics (both my prescribed and related texts are allegories). Just got to 5 pages.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how I did. Of course I could have done better had I prepared more, but I guesstimate I will probably get around around 50/60 which is really good for me.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
you'll eventually find out in december and if you decide to purchase your raw marks
Sorry if I sound stupid but what do you mean purchase your raw marks? Do we not get sent back our papers or at least the scans of it? Do we get a breakdown of what we got right, wrong, etc?

buriza

conviction
HSC
Sorry if I sound stupid but what do you mean purchase your raw marks? Do we not get sent back our papers or at least the scans of it? Do we get a breakdown of what we got right, wrong, etc?
No, you don't get any of that. You'll just get your examination mark and assessment mark, then averaged to make the HSC mark on your certificate (usually seen online and with no further comments other than the band). As teridax said, you have to pay to get your raw marks.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Hmm...

PhysicsMaths:

The whole play is littered with religious and spiritual references, such as "a spirit of health or goblin damned", "Hyperion to a moor". Even at the very last act before Hamlet dies, he says "I'll follow you to heaven in a minute", and Horatio says "May hosts of angels sing you to sleep". This contrasts with his conclusion that we all "returneth to dust" and that "the rest is silence". This ambiguity does not mean there's a lack of textual integrity, and make it "an artistic failure". Rather, Shakespeare communicates the subjective matter of mortality as its depiction is ultimately up to our own judgements.

(Sorry for mini-argument.)
this doesn't make sense lol

mortality is not a moral value (because it's by definition one's subjection to death - it has nothing to do with ought and so forth)

so not sure what was the point of your bolded

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
this doesn't make sense lol

mortality is not a moral value (because it's by definition one's subjection to death - it has nothing to do with ought and so forth)

so not sure what was the point of your bolded
I don't know I tried to quickly conclude it, lol.

HSC
mod A: 18/20
mod B: 15/20
mod C: 14/20

however, take my estimates with a grain of salt - you'll eventually find out in december and if you decide to purchase your raw marks

depends what you mean by 'correct' interpretation. if your essay stuck to the guidelines of the rubric whilst still providing an original voice, then your interpretation will be fine. idk, there isn't really such a thing as a correct interpretation in english because it's intentionally subjective
I think it is highly unlikely that you can get an "A" range response with 800 words. Like my English teacher says you need around 1000-1200 words approx to get into an "A" range. 800 words basically locks you into the "B" range. It is hard to get the quality without the quantity. Even if you wrote very succinct and sophisticated 800 words is a bit of a stretch possibly 900 words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)