General Thoughts - English Paper 1 2007 (1 Viewer)

Master Sword

HSC
How the hell do some of you people manage to write 8+ pages in 40 minutes? My GOD. Seriously. I did manage to write something like 6 pages for my creative writing but only because I spent 55 minutes on it.

My unexpected destinations essay was about 3.5 pages long, writing as fast as I could with 30 minutes to do it, and I'm a pretty fast writer. My trial essay was also 3.5 pages long, I got 10/15 and my teacher is an HSC marker, I lost some marks because my essay wasn't as relevant to the question as it should have been. I made it much more relevant this time though so I'm hoping for about 12 or maybe 13.

But seriously. If you can write 8+ pages in 40 minutes you deserve 15/15 for sure, unless either you write 5 words per line or you say the same thing 3 times over. I don't know how you people do that. :eek:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
i dont do physical journeys, but it seems that question was a bit more relevant then imaginative. but i may be wrong.

i write 8 pages easily, 8-10 worda line on average, never repeating myself, except when answering the question, and ur trial mark is higher then mine lol

Last edited:

kim miles

HSC
historykidd said:
Probably the hardest AOS i've ever seen.

Physical journey, "unexpected detours"?.

Go fuck yourself BOS.

if u did the tempest..the whole deal wit the "unexpected destination" was that we as a responder expected Prospero to seek revenge on his brother, but in the end he realised that whole "rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance" n didnt seek revenge on him...n that was the unexpected bit lol..yeh..

everythin was pretty straight forward..easier than the trials ill give em that much lol..:bomb: :wave:

Phil.B52

HSC
Section one was fairly tough...text three was very sophisticated but i think i managed to pull some shit outta my ass for it.....
Essay question suited one of the thesis points really well, so i wrote like 7 pages on it....didnt suit my other that well so cut it down to about 2, 9 pages all up wasnt too shabby...
I got 44/45 in trials but would be very very happy with anything over 40 in that quite challenging but good coz it will filter out everyone nicely
C'mon u HSC markers.....bastards loll

williams180

HSC
Master Sword said:
How the hell do some of you people manage to write 8+ pages in 40 minutes? My GOD. Seriously. I did manage to write something like 6 pages for my creative writing but only because I spent 55 minutes on it.

My unexpected destinations essay was about 3.5 pages long, writing as fast as I could with 30 minutes to do it, and I'm a pretty fast writer. My trial essay was also 3.5 pages long, I got 10/15 and my teacher is an HSC marker, I lost some marks because my essay wasn't as relevant to the question as it should have been. I made it much more relevant this time though so I'm hoping for about 12 or maybe 13.

But seriously. If you can write 8+ pages in 40 minutes you deserve 15/15 for sure, unless either you write 5 words per line or you say the same thing 3 times over. I don't know how you people do that. :eek:
not hard i got 7,8 ,10 respectively and i could have got more. Not saying i deserve full marks but just wrote done everything i knew and it just flowed

swimchick701

HSC
i thought question 3 was the easiest- i really didnt understand the 2nd or third text in q1 and q2 didnt adapt to my story for q2 tried my best - if i get band 4 i will be stoked!!!!!

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
For text 3 i pulled out quotes that suited what i wanted to say. i had no fucking idea what it was going on about.

gah i ran out of time for my creative writing and did it 20 mins and wrote 3 pages. although i had it completely planned out but it didnt really fit any of the quotes so i just pretended the person was talking to a hobo. lmao.
i didnt use the quote as a central idea i just kind of used it as a starting point. does that mean i didnt answer the question properly?

Last edited:

lthomas

HSC
HAHA the "if u dont have anything good 2 say"...
my thoughts exactly.... and same deal... text 3 in short answer.... if u dont have anything 2 say that any1 will understand....wtf how r u meant 2 answer a q on it wen ur struggling 2 force urself 2 read more than the 1st line!

williamc

HSC
Master Sword said:

-8 pages + in 40 mins isnt hard.
-3.5 pages wont cut it in the HSC if you want A or even B range.(unless you're a magican)
-Because you write 8 pages + doesnt mean you will get 15.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
williamc said:
-3.5 pages wont cut it in the HSC if you want A or even B range.(unless you're a magican)
that's not true.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Section I: This is usually my weakest section and I can't finish in time but this time it really flowed and found that I was able to finish in time. I'm not really sure how I fared in this section. I hope for 10+.

Section II: I was able to adapt my creative to quote c), the one about mosaics and stuff but it turned out to be a bit shorter than expected. It was 6 and a half pages. This section's pretty subjective so I hope they like it.

Section III: My essay was totally geared for the "unexpected destinations" so this should be my best section. I wrote 8 pages for this section.

Overall, I think it was pretty good. But when I say pretty good, I mean pretty good for English since I normally get owned by it so this time I hope I juts hope I don't get below average.

mable

HSC
I hated the whole exam with a passion... text three was the goddam stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life...the markers are gonna laugh their asses off when they read my interpretation of it... The only thing I like was section 2 because I could easily adapt it to my story.....goddam unexpected destinations, goddam you to hell!!!

I shouldnt have even sat the exam, I got stung by a freakin bee on the way to school it was an OMEN telling me not to go...to turn around and curl up into the foetal position and stay there...

blackrifice

HSC
williamc said:
Comp: hardest part of paper, got 11 in trials expecting same (7 pages)
Creative: my 'A range' response fitted pro. 12+ (just over 7 pages)
Essay: easiest question ever for physical journies. 12+ (9.5 pages)
Wow, well done mate. You are gonna ace it. Pity you can't even fcking spell JOURNEYS mofo. But still...well done :rofl: .....*cough*

bec007

HSC
i liked the imaginative journeys question, i hardly had to manipulate my essay at all. i wrote 1.5 booklets for it. and b for the short story quotes WAS my short story lol, so no manipulating there. didnt like text three of section one too much, but i kinda related it to imaginative journeys...i hope...lol.

G

gaoOO

General opinions. This was a totally crap examination paper. The essay question was so generic that i'm sure everyone will get away with simply regurgitating a learnt essay. I'd have rathered an essay question with a more interesting tilt.

Section 1 on the other hand, i found difficult, due to both lack of time and also the fact that the texts were longer than previous years and i think more ambiguous as well, especially the 3rd.

I'm expecting marks around here:
Section I: 11-12/15
Section II: 12-13/15
Section III: 14-15/15

So i guess the best case scenario is 40/45 and the worst case is 37/45.

I'm pretty disappointed with how i went in the first section.

G

gaoOO

williamc said:
3.5 pages is not going to give you an A range response unless you either write really small, or the creative is EXTREMELY well written. I think the possibility of an A range essay in 3.5 pages is practically zilch. A standard A range essay is 7-8 pages.

If you're looking at a B range, i think it's possible.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
gaoOO said:
General opinions. This was a totally crap examination paper. The essay question was so generic that i'm sure everyone will get away with simply regurgitating a learnt essay. I'd have rathered an essay question with a more interesting tilt.

Section 1 on the other hand, i found difficult, due to both lack of time and also the fact that the texts were longer than previous years and i think more ambiguous as well, especially the 3rd.

I'm expecting marks around here:
Section I: 11-12/15
Section II: 12-13/15
Section III: 14-15/15

So i guess the best case scenario is 40/45 and the worst case is 37/45.

:) .. but I didn't learn a single essay.

samuel slack

HSC
gaoOO said:

Would you have done better if you had attempted section 1 first or second, rather than last (we were talking about this yesterday lol)... or would you have had to sacrifice marks somewhere else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)