General Thoughts - English Paper 1 2007 (1 Viewer)

G

gaoOO

Forbidden. said:
:) .. but I didn't learn a single essay.
That's great, but it only makes in harder for you when the majority of students have memorised good A range essays and are able to manipulate it easily to the essay question.

I would have preferred something that would thow off the prepared responses and make us think on the spot.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
My thoughts,

Section I

Text 1 and 2 were, yeah ok, text 3. What the hell was that guy on when he wrote it!? shesh.
im guessing no1 used thext 3 for the 5 mark question

managed 6Pages.

Section II

i didnt use what we were given as a central theme, rather i chuked it in my 2nd paragraph to describe a situation. Hope thats ok still, my story fitted soooo well, i was happy

Managed 9Pages

Section III

holy crap the imaginative question was easy as! compared to all the essays i did on AoS, this by far was a sinch. Though one of RM didnt really fit, but my other one did and the stimulus material did =]

Managed 11.5 Pages

General though:
So much easier than i had anticipated.
Oh i average 7words a line
my writings kinda big =/

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE FOR PAPER 2!

Mihalaki90

HSC
Let's just say max i got out was 35/45. I'm honestly expecting a 32/45 though. The essay was good, creative could have been better for me but the reading task is what essentially put me off. :confused:

imraan7860

HSC
:(....i repeat....:(

i was short for time, usually in all the practice ones i did im ok, but i dont noe wat happened, i think the whole "booklet" thing threw me off track, cause i usually time myself using the amount of lined pages a write. Section 1 was crazy, yeh esp text 3, you dont noe how good i feel now that u guys are agreeing with me lol,

i reckon
1. 9-10/15
2. 9-10/15
3. 11-12/15

plz sum1 tell me its worth a band five :(

also are u allowed to disagree witht he question, cause it sed to wat extent

G

gaoOO

samuel slack said:
Would you have done better if you had attempted section 1 first or second, rather than last (we were talking about this yesterday lol)... or would you have had to sacrifice marks somewhere else?
well, in the reading time, i figured that section 1 was going to be my weakest section, so i went ahead with my plan of leaving it till last. In retrospect, i shouldn't have written 13 or 14 pages for my essay, but i left almost 40 minutes for the comprehension and STILL didn't finish, which was the shocking part. Usually comprehension doesn't take me the full 40 minutes, but i was way off with my prediction this time. I'm anticipating a 2-3 for the long response since i didn't finish.

patchy20

HSC
Master Splinter said:
Does anyone else actually do inner journey?? it was fucked for that!
i do inner journeys and i thought that was ok...hopefully i answered it right though. I had just prepared a whole essay on how unexpected people, objects and choices act as catalysts etc...

comprehension is always my worst section so i am really worried, i told my teacher that i really tried and his response was 'yes, but remember that was a hard section' ...gah!

PopTart

HSC
Lets not guess wat marks we'll get cuz last year they were all saying that it was a good exam and most of the state got band 4, barely anyone in band 5 and band 6 was fuckd cuz only like 10 or something ppl got into it.

^emmie^

HSC
Forbidden. said:
:) .. but I didn't learn a single essay.

yer i didnt learn any either
oh well at least ours will answer the question.....hopefully

musicka

HSC
LOL talking to a hobo!

Mmm, yes the page length varies over different people. Some people have the ability to write three 8 page booklets (I know one person who pretty much does it all the time) in 40 minutes. You have to see if the person's writing is larger than average, but then again, there are those writers with miniscule writing who can pull out 10 pages in 40 minutes. It's really just training; our school has disciplined us to have about 1100 words for each section.

Section 1 - Thought it was okay at the time but then I came out and realised I completely misinterpreted Text 3. Seems like most people had the same difficulty! Don't blame ya

Section 2 - Great, fitted my story.

Section 3 - Pretty good, moulded it into what I wanted to say. Some people thought it was left field but essentially, an unexpected destination is like the idea of having an unknown destination to begin with (standard element of imaginative journeys) - its freedom to venture anywhere is what makes any destination unexpected I guess! Had a totally botchy conclusion though as I ran out of time. Wonder if that'll affect me much?

Last edited:

ryan1990

HSC
Yeah, I pretty much agree with everyone. Text 3 was really bad, I hated it, but I managed.
Section II and III were excellent. My story adapted straight to the Mosaic quote and my essay for III adapted well also.
Section I will probably let me down :mad1: but I think that's the case with most people.

Hopefully they will mark easier if everyone struggled.
I'm guessing that if Paper One wasn't too hard, will they make up for it in Paper 2? I sure hope not. Just don't give me a feature article and I will survive.

LOL

Good luck guys. Hope everything else goes well.

euro-dragon

Im a LolOsaUR Hear Me Roa
HSC
Aaaahhh section 1 was like WTH....i managed to get a few pages in but i didnt know what i was talking about...geez

the rest of the paper seemed ok, the story quote about mosaic fragments suited my story well even though it wasnt glass i referred it to a dress pattern, and the essay was ok, i originally had quite a few quotes in my essay stating that the destination is unexpected so yeh and i referred to religion having no known path leading to an unexpected destination.

hmm we shall see...hopefully at least 80s...i hope :bomb:

Goodluck to everyone in our next english exam...great now gotta go study for that *sigh*

louxx

HSC
section one was total bullshit.
lol text 3 should burn in hell...

So yeh the first section was shithouse, 4 pages, alot less than i normally do, but stupid texts etc. - enough said.
Section 2 was alright, i was a bit stumped when i first read the quotes, but then i just started writing and it evolved into a journey... i guess lol, so yeah 7 pages for that.
I really liked the essay question. "Unexpected destinations" fit my points/essay perfectly to disagree with the quote thingy - I wrote 13.5 pages, so im pretty happy. I spent an hour on it though so hmm..

With what everyones saying about the number of pages.. Its deffinetly possible to write over 8 pages, i always have done. But who knows, i probably have really massive writing...

I think it was harder than trials.. dunno.
I hate english.. no matter how hard I try i always get in the same lame mark range lol.

lol soooo happy its over though!

never have to write anything on journeys ever again!!
yayyy!

Goodluck for Paper 2 guys!

rayd

HSC
jee i hope they can read my writing, i feel sorry for the poor bugga who has to be forced to try and get through that :)

if anyone can imagine the line that comes out of a lie detector... yer thats my writing :)

PS: tetris brick thrower FTW!

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
gaoOO said:
3.5 pages is not going to give you an A range response unless you either write really small, or the creative is EXTREMELY well written. I think the possibility of an A range essay in 3.5 pages is practically zilch. A standard A range essay is 7-8 pages.

If you're looking at a B range, i think it's possible.
I disagree. I was talking to a past HSC English marker who told me that it is INDEED POSSIBLE to gain a band 6 response (essay/creative writing whatever it may be), with only 2.5 pages. It was from his first-hand experience and numerous responses have achieved this.

pyrosis

HSC
the 1st section was absolute shitty. the 2nd section situated my story fine and the the 3rd didnt suit mine and at all so i started it from scratch... but i thought i did ok though

nearlythere...

HSC
well, I'm glad thats over...

text 3 was horrible. I think I read it about 4 times and was like 'i seriously don't get what this guy was saying' and eventually made up some crap about life and the desert.

The other two were pretty good, I got them and I think i did a pretty good job in comparing and constrasting them in the last question.

The creative section sucked. My story turned out pretty good, but I had a hard time adapting it to the stuff they gave us. Eventually, I opened with one of them and sorta kept writing, I don't really think my story ended up 'centralised' around it, but meh. Normally in creative writing when I think I haven't touched what it's supposed to be about I do a really good job, so...

and the essay was... eh. Mine started out well, but i started running out of time and rushed the second half of it, so I'm sorta hoping that you know 'good first impressions' stuff will work in my favour. Maybe not, but... one can hope.

only 6 to go now, ugghhh

G

gaoOO

yoakim said:
I disagree. I was talking to a past HSC English marker who told me that it is INDEED POSSIBLE to gain a band 6 response (essay/creative writing whatever it may be), with only 2.5 pages. It was from his first-hand experience and numerous responses have achieved this.
Well for me 2 pages of an HSC booklet is about 250 words. I'd say it's a max of 400. Unless the quality of your essay is BRILLIANT, and i mean AMAZING, i really doubt you're going to be getting a 13-15/15 with 250 words.

cheesman

HSC
dead set, yesterday i looked at all these past AOS - which i honestly thought were easy, like i looked at each section and they werent too hard - but this was the hardest hands down.
the texts were just stupid, the narrative question threw me off and made it too specific i thought, rather then open it up a bit
and the essay question for inner journey was ironicall an unexpected encounter,

harder than i expected but i got by

david1337king

HSC
Totally fucked it. Section 1 was (in Jonah Takalua's voice) Fuckn Gay.
All the texts made no sense to me.

Section 2
I only found the first quote to be useful. COuldnt think of anything else with the other two quotes.

Section 3 was very different from previous papers. "Unexpected Detours" I dont think any skrzynecki's poems has anything to do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)