General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
i did 2, 3, 2 booklets respectively...

some people in my year did 5 booklets...should i just say, fuck that, the markers will recognise that they're not being concise?
? maybe they just write big? some ppl at our school use that many booklets for everything cos they write 4 words a line or something

also some ppl are just gun and can do a 1500 word essay since they have more time =/= not being concise

Glorious

HSC
Comprehension was so time consuming - but it was good. However, one of the questions, I think I had to have one more idea, but I explained one fully. Not sure. The last question took forever, but it was good.

Creative was okay - I felt the need to swear at my hand because it was lagging behind, but nonetheless, it was alright - sense of place was through flashbacks in my story already... so I hope they'd be able to pick that up. I didn't use the stimulus though. That was stupid. Be original, B.O.S.

As for the essay, I had like 35 mins and I was writing and writing, when suddenly I was half way through my idea and had like 20 seconds for a conclusion. Quickly wrote one and left my idea. However, it took FOREVER for those supervisors to come around and sign people off and make sure everything's right so everyone basically kept writing, so i finished my idea off. Could have gone back to comprehension and perfected it to it's extreme, but I didn't since that'd be too much.

Overall, I think it was a good one. I'm just going to rely on paper 2 to really get me up there. I seriously prefer paper 2 over paper 1.

wizzle_wazzle

HSC
3 then 1 then 2 :)

7 pages for S3 --> should be a 14/15

6 pages for S2 --> should be a 11/12/13

Stimulus was relatively easy tbh. Thinking 13.

Overall, yea really easy paper. Was a godsend for pre prepared essays!

That's 2 easy ones in a row now (Business and Paper 1).

Am I the only one that gets the feeling tomorrow will possibly destroy all of us? :devil:

DVDVDVDV

Premium Member
HSC
The one thing I didn't focus on... places

I was set for shared values, connections in general and interpersonal relationships and yet they throw in a question on places!

Rage :/

Hera

HSC
no i did crucible as well there was stuff in there

you could do metaphorical place, or you could do literally; isolated location of Salem + woods, location of Proctor's house on the outskirts = deliberate choice not to belong, location of Putnam's in the meeting-house in the heart of the town = desperation to belong

also i reckon they'd go easy on crucible since they know ppl would screw it
ye I did isolated location of Salem and related the woods to the devil and mainly on metaphorical place through their attachment to 'being rid of the devil' but I mean I most definitely didn't go as well as I was hoping for so >< and I hope they do go easier on the texts that have more trouble matching with place D:

E

Effekt

Re: How Great Was That?

I spent too long on the short answers and my essay suffered, i'd be lucky to get a 7 for my essay. But i am pretty confident with my creative writing and some short responses. Assuming i get 0 for my essay i will predick 35/45 MAX.

2 hours is NOT enough time to finish that paper in, i don't know how anyone can write more than 3 pages it's beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
yewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

place! thank you for place!

s1 was much easier than expected imo managed 2 full booklets.

i had specifically prepared my essay for place so i pretty much wrote it word for word with continuous links to question. took 3 booklets

but the creative idk :s i'm very weak with creative writing... sorta just hopeful for that

doesn't matter, should get my 35/45, which is all i want

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Section 3 was pretty bad for Emily Dickinson poems :S
I changed connections with mother nature to connections with the natural world LOL, hopefully 11-13/15

pat_m_9

HSC
Hopefully I get away with calling the image a collage :/

Story was pretty easy wasn't worth the risk of not using the stimulus even though it said "you may"

Just made it out like Ancestors was belonging to a fantasised place (folk museum was easy as)

If they can read my writing then I think I didn't go too bad :L

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
ye I did isolated location of Salem and related the woods to the devil and mainly on metaphorical place through their attachment to 'being rid of the devil' but I mean I most definitely didn't go as well as I was hoping for so >< and I hope they do go easier on the texts that have more trouble matching with place D:
tbh, they probably will since there's a subtle thought "oh this essay on the Crucible actually TALKS about place!" lol.

Anyway, every year despite the question the averages are always around the same give or take a couple of decimal points, so I wouldn't be too worried, what you did sounds fine.

Galladrim

HSC
I was so nervous going into that. Then I saw the questions

PLACE!... Place! That was epic English Teachers thank you ! :hug2:

Really pleased as far as I could tell.

Wrote 5/5/6 pages which is good with my writing.

People wrote five booklets????
They are either
a)exaggerating
b)screwed in the other sections
c)Got massive handwriting
d) Freaks

I never have to think about BELONGING ever again.

Oh well, now to get ready for paper II ;)

HSC
yer, dickinson was very hard to adapt..i thought the question was hard for some perscribed text and really easier for others. anger

silence--

HSC
Re: How Great Was That?

i was crying tears of joy when i opened the paper and saw the theme was actually place (like i predicted :p)

essay was great.
unseen texts were nothing tricky/obscure (unlike our trials, holy shit)
creative was like "lol insert your prepared story here as long as it has something to do with place"

but then i am pretty shit with creatives so i could have still fucked that up.

not a bad start. haha

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
i hate how the booklets are only 3 pages ==" ...... so annoying
this. near the start i was like can i have 3 more booklets

I miss the thick 8 page ones, don't like writing on thin paper + thinner lines cos i have big loopy handwriting lol

i suppose they're saving a forest or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)