General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

HSC
that was the shittest possible AOS exam. The theme of place didn't even to both my story and my essay and the the 60 year old ladies didnt walk fast enough so i wasnt able to finish my exam
LMAO at the 60 year old ladies w! I swear they take their sweet ass time! Our exam was meant to start at 9.30 instead it started like 30mins late, and when I asked one of the ladies how long we had left she didn't even give me the correct answer!!! And the same happened with my business exam yesterday! :mad:

regal1

HSC
The paper worked out pretty well for my prepared response of The Crucible, and my ONE piece of related material. I would've been completely fucked if they asked for two!

Do you guys think they'll definitely make sure that we have two pieces for Adv. Module C tomorrow, considering they only asked for one today? (Only one in our CSSA trial).

Hoping for something in the 40's because tomorrow will rape me!

HSC
Re: How Great Was That?

Learnt Feliks Skrzynecki, Migrant Hostel and St. Patrick's College and almost cried with joy when I realised the question was on place.

I tried to manipulate my creative for place, added a bigger focus to places but I don't think I did it well enough, probs max 12/15 for that.

Overall, hopefully 13+ for the essay, 11-12/15 for creative and 13+ in comprehension, so high 30's/low 40's would be smashing.
I did the same poems as you. question, do you do advanced or standard?

Sandraa4U

HSC

Same!!! I'm not trying to sound cocky but I was feeling fairly confident and wasn't stressed at all. I loved and I had 20minutes to spare,which was good to go over my work :D

rold

HSC
We had a fire alarm in the very middle which lasted about 5 minutes, the repercussions resulting in 5 minutes of confusion and 5 minutes lost train of thought. Lucky we get a whole school misadventure, seeing as my last essay paragraph was half the size of the others :/

Overall though a fairly good paper, with a consistent and clear theme and easy adaptation of prepared quotes / material.

ITS OVER
haha hilarious. or not really. wat school rory? that's such bad luck :(

mc1007

HSC
Spent at least 5 minutes, before even starting Section III, deciding what the hell the crucible said about belonging to place!!!
My teacher said afterwards, though, that they mark the Section III essays in prescribes text groups so if you did The Crucible/Strictly Ballroom you will be "compensated for" in the marking. Not sure what that means but meh...

forthehsc

HSC

Learnt Feliks Skrzynecki, Migrant Hostel and St. Patrick's College and almost cried with joy when I realised the question was on place.

I tried to manipulate my creative for place, added a bigger focus to places but I don't think I did it well enough, probs max 12/15 for that.

Overall, hopefully 13+ for the essay, 11-12/15 for creative and 13+ in comprehension, so high 30's/low 40's would be smashing.
i did feliks and migrant, but i had no idea how to link them both into the theme of place with the quotes i had..

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Same!!! I'm not trying to sound cocky but I was feeling fairly confident and wasn't stressed at all. I loved and I had 20minutes to spare,which was good to go over my work :D
Wtf?
I really think you should use all of the time given in the English exam because you can always write more. :/ but whatever

Also, I'm gonna go now so I can prepare to rape tomorrow to compensate. Have fun and good luck you guys. (except for everyone in standard that doesn't go to my school. I hope you all fail paper two) :D

Jacko32

HSC
N/A
Wtf?
I really think you should use all of the time given in the English exam because you can always write more. :/ but whatever

Also, I'm gonna go now so I can prepare to rape tomorrow to compensate. Have fun and good luck you guys. (except for everyone in standard that doesn't go to my school. I hope you all fail paper two) :D
:lol::devil::thrust:

KateSinead

HSC
My teacher told us at the start of the year that your marks for the second paper are moderated by how well you did in the first paper? Is this right? Cause if it is, i am seriously skreeeeeewed, completely failed that exam.

forthehsc

HSC
My teacher told us at the start of the year that your marks for the second paper are moderated by how well you did in the first paper? Is this right? Cause if it is, i am seriously skreeeeeewed, completely failed that exam.
yeah i think it is..my English teacher was telling us about how our marks in the first paper determine how well we do in paper two (im pretty sure that's what she meant)

emmiijayne

HSC
Wow. Ok "Place" was AMAZING! for Romulus, My Father. I hate the book, the movie is even worse, but thank all heck that it was so easy to do that essay on! My related text (Billy Elliot) was also pretty darn easy to use, mainly because there aren't really many places in the movie anyway. Ha ha :)

As far as section II was concerned, my story was pretty good.. Only 1 booklet, but if i extended my storyline out any more it would have lost way too much meaning. Our techer also hated us waffling, mainly why i kept it to the point LOL. Hopefully the content was there to make up for length :/

Section I was pretty great in my opinion.. I went overtime, but i don't think it affected the other two sections much at all. I found the texts really easy to draw things out of :)

I'm not a great English student (screw you advanced!) so i can't say, judging on how well i have done in the past, that i did well. But all in all i think i did ok. Mid 30's, fingers crossed!

- order that i did them- Section I, III then II

vamperstien

HSC
i thought the paper was easy to do ok on, but really hard to do well on, and i would have prefered a more even mix, like there wasn't very much room for insite and thought and stuff, and belonging to place?! seriously it was like they just realised that they haven't used belonging to place in the last ever and decided to make up for it by shoving it on us urgh!

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
This paper marks the low quality of papers in the HSC, especially Area of Study. I guess the rule of thumb in good examinations like the Cambridge Pre-U is that the examination board could not assume its universality. Which this is obviously a case for this paper, where the board assumed that place is a common theme in all of the texts... Evidently, I don't know how this works, but I think they're trying to make paper 1 more literal to the standard class and a lot more abstract for the advanced class, so there's this level of thought separation between the ability to argue philosophically, or argue within the plot of the story... so does this minimise the quality? I think yeah it does significant, but... i'm sure an exam board always have their reasons on why things are set this way.... Paper 2 won't be a bitch for advanced in my opinion... it couldn't get anymore far fetched than section 3....

Section 1 is pretty straight forward I would say, nothing was hard at all... If you focused on the how, and also how the 'how' had supported the why, then you would get at least 13/15... I employed this formula, so I'm hoping that I would do pretty well... Well section 1 is about formulas isn't it?

Section 2 just marks the failure of the exam, it's all about pre-preparing the answer, adding a few memories of people to a few places then that's basically a band 6 creative. That's really bad, I mean, why would an examination board say you MAY use the stimulus... Why did you even put it there in the first place? I did a pre-prepare a story about London being bombed to bits, and there's a philosopher remembering the way London used to be and how it connects with his idea of belonging... It's really abstract the story, he tries to recover London using his memory but eventually dies due to hunger and the development of a flu. Pretty vague idea for a story... so I don't know how I went. Quoted a lot of philosopher in this story, YUMMY.

Section 3: I'm on your side guys, having studied The Crucible this is a bit wtf for the whole of our school. I just said yes how place did influence the perceptions of belonging and not belonging (Proctor's alienation, but he still belongs to himself, that's why he chose to DIE), how the relationship between the Proctors devoid the concerns of the hypocritical state, and how belonging to a place would have no influence if a person is not belonged to themselves... I didn't finish my conclusion though, ran out of time. I'm thinking of 10/15... I walked in with a lot of quotes, and I've used all the quotes and how it shows the statement in the question... so fingers crossed, I hope I'm lucky... Oh by the way, my related text in Kanye West's thirty five minute film Runaway, quite a good analysis cause i could use the camera angles, the lyrics in his movies like 'Let's have toast for the douchebags' and also the rare dialogue use.... and especially when the Phoenix burnt herself to belong, it shares quite a symbolic gesture with a crucible.

But again, I stand by my point that this paper is pretty much a failure in its ability to exhibit examination quality. That's why paper 2 is often the clincher.

Last edited:

a-to-z

HSC
N/A

thought it wqasn't that bad relating everything to place surprised my though, had gone over anything like that at school... and the creative writing only said 'you may use the image' or something similar so i din't really use the image anyway

a-to-z

HSC
N/A
i do and i know most of my friends did 3-1-2 cause you get essay over and done with a regergate all info on it then short repsonse the creative writing cause got heaps of stuff in head about belonging and it is easier to cut short if needed

moebech

HSC

Did anybody else do The Simple Gift? Pretty straightforward to relate to place. But I have to say, I didn't particularly like the whole "belonging to place" being the overall theme. Nevertheless, it wasn't too bad. I'm hoping for around an 80%+ (85%, if I'm lucky). Did anybody actually use the creative writing stimulus? I think the use of the word "may" kinda ensured no one would use it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)