General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The stimulus allows you to talk about people but you had to ensure the link to remembered places was EXPLICIT as that was the original question. It's inspiration for your creative, not a criteria for it.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Section II (Creative) - "You may use the visual image as stimulus for your creative writing"

First time in an English exam where you get given a stimulus and a CHOICE to use it?

I thought it was a great exam. The texts for section 1 were great! Section II the creative was awesome, considering you didn't have to use the stimulus! I think Section III was great too, decent question and I'm glad it was only at least 1 related text. The idea of connection to places was great, very open and I really liked it!

Btw, did the supervisors make you write your prescribed text on the front cover of Section III?

NubMuncher

HSC
The stimulus allows you to talk about people but you had to ensure the link to remembered places was EXPLICIT as that was the original question. It's inspiration for your creative, not a criteria for it.
This. This is what I am trying to say xD

SayWut

HSC
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean, but if you are saying that one must be accepted in society to belong to place, I think you're sweet :)
=/ not exactly. I stated that societal values was one influence that controls one's perceptions of belonging.

EDIT: Can someone comment as to the validity of the nature of my response? I'm kinda shitting my pants here (even though there's nothing I can do about it)

michaeljennings

HSC
I disagree with this. We were told a strong story that does not relate to the question is capped at 10/15. An average story that clearly answers the question can get a higher mark than that; the best story for our trials got 9/15 because it didn't reflect the question and a rather stereotypical story received 13/15.
Well this is what our teachers (one who's a senior marker) tells us, because the overall quality of stories which they mark is so bad, if you have a brilliant story it will get a decent mark, regardless of whether it uses the stimulus/question.

NubMuncher

HSC
=/ not exactly. I stated that societal values was one influence that controls one's perceptions of belonging.
I don't do you text so take what I saw with a pinch of salt, but you had to link it to place somehow

wendiiee

HSC
I'm really hoping for a 33/45. I would be ecstatic.
Overall, the paper was really straight forward.
I lost a lot of time on section 1 which was a huge disappointment later on, but yeah...
Should have gone over my techniques.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Well this is what our teachers (one who's a senior marker) tells us, because the overall quality of stories which they mark is so bad, if you have a brilliant story it will get a decent mark, regardless of whether it uses the stimulus/question.
I can confirm this from 1 of my tutors who used to mark

If you have a brilliant story 100% unrelated but still brilliant they'll feel bad for you and give you 15/15 anyway but again it has to be brilliant.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
Re: How Great Was That?

The theme of the paper + all the questions were great, thankyou bored of studies for being nice to us this year!

forthehsc

HSC
that was the shittest possible AOS exam. The theme of place didn't even to both my story and my essay and the the 60 year old ladies didnt walk fast enough so i wasnt able to finish my exam

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
that was the shittest possible AOS exam. The theme of place didn't even to both my story and my essay and the the 60 year old ladies didnt walk fast enough so i wasnt able to finish my exam
Are you talking about handing out the booklets? Thank god I put my hand up super early cos I swear it took them 3 minutes to even notice me let alone get a booklet or some shit I was like wtf.

HSC
Are you talking about handing out the booklets? Thank god I put my hand up super early cos I swear it took them 3 minutes to even notice me let alone get a booklet or some shit I was like wtf.
I had the same problem! I felt like getting out of my seat and getting an extra booklet myself!

Entity

HSC
Inb4 everyone who did Simple Gift by Herrick like our class did well because it's all about a hobo boy who leaves home to search for belonging.

forthehsc

HSC
yeah the booklets...I spent the last 2 minutes waiting for a booklet to be given to me and when i got one we were told time was up

cpwincess19

HSC
The fuckwits didn't even explain wtf the go was with the writing booklets , good waste of 2-3 minutes ...
& I really don't think that the essay question fit our prescribed text .
Pretty pissed off .

sydneyitee

HSC
Re: How Great Was That?

so what do you guys think a raw band 6 mark will be?
35-38/45?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)