General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (2 Viewers)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
How did no one here take the exam out of the room and scan it?!

I did that with two of my exams last year.

paddydbarry

HSC
For the unseen texts i did about 4 pages.. Thought the book was easy, italics to highlight the belonging the sisters had with each other, inclusive language, to represent, the juxtaposition of tone of the two paragraphs denoting the change in relationships and belonging, and the motif of windows that symbolised changing views and perceptions of how society view, accepts and persecutes individuals.

Text 2 the poem i think was a little harder for me don't really remember what i did.

Text three was easy, talked about the repetition of the rhetorical questions, illuminating the lack identity and the desire to find the identity. Repletion of the word "disappointed" 5 times throughout the text, conveying the again the lack of identity and how he was not content. And finally the simile where he compared his experience to a rupture in history which is a big call that illustrated a clear image in responders minds, a image of sadness, loneliness and thus the feeling of not belonging.

Text 4 was easy as there were HEAPS of metaphors, similes, repetition etc that you could refer to to highlight how quickly his sense of belonging changed from when we was in bed resenting the cars to he felt complete satisfaction in listening to the music.

And question 5 was just a repeat of previous questions really just a few things different.

If you had a good story planned creative was easy the images were really broad. Personally i choose the cafe bullshited about a man who spent his lunch break at this cafe ever day, became addicted to online poker and waisted away his life, a little cheesy but still refreshing to markers. Although my imagery was a little poor

Essay was not to bad really just had to understand that the question broad, you could talk about belonging relating to identity,people, places and communities but just had to make it clear that these feelings of belonging can change as your life evolves around you. As your life goes on, your sense of belonging evolves. Easy to relate to with most texts.

4 For creative
6 for the eassy

What do you think of my ideas? Predict a mark? I'm standard too btw.

smash17

HSC
hahahah btw papa was back! :p hahaha and for the creative they gave us 5 pictures and told us to choose one and write about it.
where was papa! haha who remember papa from school certificate :p
what was with the first text the book cover???? i could only write one way it showed belonging...and the last q was very bad coz i memorised an essay and it didnt exactly fit :(

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
How did no one here take the exam out of the room and scan it?!

I did that with two of my exams last year.
Are people normally allowed to take it with them? I've been hearing this nonsense of copyright.

nush25

HSC
reading section was terrible. managed to write 8 pages for belonging and 6 for creative... but my reading section was done quite poorly. ill prolly get like 15 out of 45 LOL.
failing english.

lonelynight99

HSC
I identify a techniques and give quotes. I wonder if I get my mark deducted if I name the technique as "question", in which the answer appear to be a rhetorical question

Shomalika

HSC
Generally speaking, if a whole cohort finds the exam difficult, would the exam be marked leniently?

After Paper 1 today, I heard a lot of people talking about how hard the exam was. I assumed that if we all found it hard, they would mark us easily. Is this true? :)

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Are people normally allowed to take it with them? I've been hearing this nonsense of copyright.
you pay to sit the HSC, right?

And when they give it to you it's your exam paper.

I took all the stuff I could out of all my exams.
So I took English paper 1 and 2 (a teacher I hate took paper 2 off me. Ugh) and bio and Chem multiple choice, and Maths extension 1 and 2 papers.

I suggest you guys do the same just for conversation-sake.
Also, because if BoS can't get copyrights to last later then you have what the questions were originally and stuff for if you tutor and shiz.

Study-study

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I'm planning on writing an e-mail or letter to the Board of Studies to ask them to reconsider the 2 hours for English. It's just too short. I barely managed to finish and so did many in my grade and from reading this thread I can see others agree. Where should a send the e-mail or letter to? I can't find an e-mail. :(
Yeah it wont really benefit us really, the other years will benefit from it and lets be honest it will just make us feel like shit when we struggled and tried to produce a sustainable answer in 2 hours then other years have 3. They probably get a better atar then us and probably make it to uni easier than us who struggled and probably is in tafe or something lol. They already dont have to do the school certificate. But i agree. Two hours for three sections is bullshit. How do many of us get to show our full potential, under pressure and on the spot. And on top of that you spend a whole year learning all these concepts yet it kinda goes to waste in the main exam due to the time limit. screw you board of studiess

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
Yeah it wont really benefit us really, the other years will benefit from it and lets be honest it will just make us feel like shit when we struggled and tried to produce a sustainable answer in 2 hours then other years have 3. They probably get a better atar then us and probably make it to uni easier than us who struggled and probably is in tafe or something lol. They already dont have to do the school certificate. But i agree. Two hours for three sections is bullshit. How do many of us get to show our full potential, under pressure and on the spot. And on top of that you spend a whole year learning all these concepts yet it kinda goes to waste in the main exam due to the time limit. screw you board of studiess
if they make it longer, the standard essay length will increase, hence time increase becomes redundant

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont understand why people want to take the exam papers with them?
1 - to share on here because not everyone sat the exams
2 - for tutoring purposes in future because some things aren't copyrighted for extended periods of time which leaves blanks so practicing is shit.

Study-study

HSC
N/A
1 - to share on here because not everyone sat the exams
2 - for tutoring purposes in future because some things aren't copyrighted for extended periods of time which leaves blanks so practicing is shit.
But i thought people who haven't sat the exams don't do the same paper as it wouldn't be fair?

miranda94

HSC
how literally did you guys use the creative writing stimulus? I chose image 1 (boy swinging on a tree branch). My story involved the idea of youth and ageing and included bits of kids playing in a playground, but I'm not sure the image was particularly "central" to my story. I interpreted it metaphorically, but hopefully thats ok.

_Arsenal_

HSC
It was alright. If they weren't all about OMG HOW DOES TIME AFFECT IT? OMG TIME?! HEY GUESS WHAT?!?! TIME!!!!!!!! It would of been a lot better. -.-

JacksonHenneyyy

HSC
Good to see Papa back :p but I think... Short Answers were harder than I expected, Essay was okay and Creative had such stupid images. I didn't like the test overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)