General Thoughts: Mathematics (1 Viewer)

wats

HSC
first thaughts were that it was hard but it want well, now that i look over it i notice so many mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

105+ please

HTB

HSC
N/A
Re: 2009 hsc 2u...

test was a bloody disappointment compared to past hsc papers

afaik I didnt drop any marks, but if I make any silly mistakes, I go down alot because it was so stupidly easy

Board of Studies. I AM NOT IMPRESSED.

benwilson

HSC
Re: Thoughts on 2009 2 Unit Maths Exam

that was much, MUCH, harder then all the past papers

lucymowat

HSC
for the probability one, did anyone not multiply them by each other? it seems illogical because one of them winning one raffle had no effect on the other one winning, seeing as they were separate raffles. so shouldn't you add them together??

benwilson

HSC
what was with that triangle question about making it into 4 isosceles triangles? lol

Kaplutz

HSC
That exam was f*cked. I didn't even finish the exam - the last 5 minutes I only just started Q10, so I made sure I at least did the 'point of inflexion' question , for a guaranteed extra 1 mark.

The rollercoaster question was confusing - I thought I figured it out, but looking back it it, I might've mistakenly made that 30 m for point P as the y-value, i.e. (?,30), which basically f*cks up my whole answer.

The one where you had to prove that a part of the right-angled triangle was isosceles had me stumped for 10 minutes - didn't complete that one, as well as the 'draw 4 isosceles triangles' one, which was completely ridiculous.

I couldn't figure out Q8(iii), where you had to find the no. of years if paying $2937. Thnx to those that posted the answer though.

Estimating a 50-70% mark. After a mediocre experience with English, I thought Maths will be the subject that brings up my ATAR, but now I guess that ain't gonna happen. Crossing my fingers for Physics or *shudder* SDD.
I feel somewhat better that I wasn't the only one that suffered.
MX1 is going to be hell tomorrow.:bomb:

absorber

HSC
no its not.

N is the number of sub intervals if there is 6 sub intervals there is 7 function values...

h= b-a/n and n was 6 sorry man u lost 1 mark :\ but thye carry errors so prolly 2/3
h = (b-a)/n

= 300/6
=50m. That's all I know.

kanux

HSC
that test was relatively harder than all the past papers i did
like wtf?

screwed over, lost like over 8-10marks already :/

.N.

HSC
Didn't r = 0.9?
yea r was 0.9.... but it increased by 0.9....
but u no how a was 1.2... well if u multply that by 0.9.... thats 1.9.... which is decreasing... but coz its increasing u add the 1 to make it 1.9... and then wen u multply a by 1.9 its 2.28... shows that its growing.,... I hope that makes sense... well thats how i saw it=/ i think thats correct

kate3

HSC
haha, you guys thought that was hard...
that was good compared to my schools trial exam.
i thought i went ok.
the only questions i struggled with was the radium question and all of question 8. the rest was awesome!

joisstressed

HSC
cant be bothered working out but you had to use neat algebra to get the "n's" together then use logs. i got 179 months. is this right anyone? you obviously need this to do part iv) but it was a massive number from memory in the 100,000 thousands which made me doubt myself but then i got it.

Fuckin rollercoaster. i fukin had it too but didnt finish it. i dont see how that question tests our knowledge. it just reads how good we are at english in interpretation.

lucky i can do it again. :jump:
yeah i think i got 179 months too :)

tzintz

HSC
i didnt find it that bad
definitly the hardest in recent years but not terrible
lost definitly 3 marks on the roller coaster quetion but apart from that it wasnt terrible
goning to be intresting to see what band i get as many people seem to have found it extremly difficult

verdades

HSC
but u no how a was 1.2... well if u multply that by 0.9.... thats 1.9.... which is decreasing... but coz its increasing u add the 1 to make it 1.9... and then wen u multply a by 1.9 its 2.28... shows that its growing.,... I hope that makes sense... well thats how i saw it=/ i think thats correct
No, it is growing at 0.9

It grows to 1.2 in the first year.
And then the second year's height is 1.2 + (1.2x0.9)
Etc.

Well, maybe not necessarily that. Limiting sum only works with x < 1, so it had to be 0.9, because it was clearly limiting.

Thus limiting sum = 12.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
but it wasn't growing at an increasing rate - it had a limiting sum (i.e. it doesn't keep growing forever). Meaning yes, each year it will grow nine tenths of what it did the yr before...hence you dont add the one.
you keep r=0.9
you want it to be less each year
otherwise |r|>1, which means you can't have a limiting sum.

h = (b-a)/n

= 300/6
=50m. That's all I know.
i concur!

sharp_pencil

HSC
No, it is growing at 0.9

It grows to 1.2 in the first year.
And then the second year's height is 1.2 + (1.2x0.9)
Etc.

Well, maybe not necessarily that. Limiting sum only works with x < 1, so it had to be 0.9, because it was clearly limiting.

Thus limiting sum = 12.
CORRECT that is how u do it :)

and yes for the Simpsons its was 50/3 :D i'll prolly get 80/120 :\

emadarn

HSC
I really hope you are right, but 95/120 for 2unit, cmon dude thats ridiculous. Anyways how did you find out what the raw cut off was ? Most of the markers dont know that - our teachers do their best to estimate it.
you can;t be a 100% but my teacher talso estimated an approx of 95-97 and u can check out that harvey dude who got rights to his paper, who in 2007 got bout 102 and his hsc mark was pushed up to 93% massive difference.

but then again who cares in 2 months our marks will given and good or bad we cant do anything bout it except 1,

get ready for the next exams and even if you THINK you did bad you can only improve by doing well in the next exams.

personally i was hoping for 118-120 but i lost 2 marks in 10, 1 mark in 8 and 7 i think i can get between 112-116 which is pretty good

hard exam though

laure.b

HSC
WTF was up with the decay question about radium? I swear there wasn't even enough information to complete the answer! That test was dodgy...

OMG THANKGOD I WAS NOOOTTT CRAZZZZZY!
that fucked me up so much.. i was going so well...and then just mfsarngkj;basjkrg;bla. :(:bomb:
they are raping us this year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)