Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
What are the basics of caring for your car and keeping it in good nick?

SlipStream

HSC
malkin86 said:
What are the basics of caring for your car and keeping it in good nick?
In a nutshell, servicing and cleaning.

If you want your car to be reliable and last for many years to come, you should adhere as loyally as you can to the service intervals in your car's manual. At the very least, you should have your oil and oil filter changed every 5000kms/6 months in order to preserve the engine and ensure your car's life is further extended. A lot of people abuse servicing - think of oil as the car's blood: catching dirt and other crap, and the oil filter as the car's kidneys: removing larger dirt particles and filtering the oil. However even the best filters don't remove microscopic dirt particles, so thus they remain suspended in the oil and condense over time, turning the oil black and reducing its ability to do its job. You should learn how to change your car's oil - it's actually not all that difficult - and you'll save yourself a lot of money in the process.

Secondly: cleaning. Bringing back the human analogy, car's paint is in a sense similar to our skin. Most cars are in the sun everyday for extended periods of time, and similarly spend a lot of time in the open air. Airborne contaminants such as pollen, bird droppings, industrial fallout, acid rain, pollution, exhaust from cars in front, etc.. impact the car's paint. We protect ourselves from the sun and other things through products such as sunscreen; to protect our car's paint from aforementioned airborne contaminants, we should regularly apply wax to our car. You should wax your car 6 times/year if it is not garaged, and around 4/year if it is. Proper car washing is very complex and gets expensive (trust me! :D) - basically you need to wash, polish/clean then wax/seal. Use a Car Wash (not a Wash n Wax, and definitely not dishwashing detergent as this is too potent and will strip all old waxes away) with two buckets (one for rinsing the dirt from the sponge/mitt, and one with the soapy water), then use a good chamois (synthetics are OK, but leather is better - even better and more convenient are new-tech microfiber chamois). Get out your polish (use a 3-in-1 product like Mothers Cleaner Wax, which cleans the paint as well as applying a protective coating of wax) and apply it with a terry towel (the stuff you dry yourself with in the shower) or 100% cotton rag, let it dry to a white haze then grab another clean cloth and wipe away in a circular motion. Be sure to avoid plastic trim with these products as they can stain them. Then when you're done, do the rest of the car! i.e. windows, tyres, wheels, bumpers, etc.

malkin86

HSC
Wow... Thankyou! :D

How do you know when the tyres are at the correct pressure?

SlipStream

HSC
Go hunting for the tyre pressure sticker on your car (often on the inside edge of the driver's door, or in the glovebox) or if you can't find it, have a peek in your car's manual. As natstar pointed out, most cars take pressures around 30psi. Most modern servo's have adjustable tyre pumps that display psi (pounds/inch^3, imperial measurement which is still widely used) and kpa (kilopascals, metric measurement), but if you live southwest of Mullamullaville or in a town with a population smaller than the days on a page of a calendar, it is advised to get your hands on a tyre pressure gauge - can be bought cheaply from a car shop like Supercheap Auto.

malkin86

HSC
Thanks again.. :) I wish they'd taught me this kind of stuff in school, rather than repeating 'this is what a seatbelt is' in year 10.. :eek:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Maybe basic upkeep of a vehickle should be included in the licensing system eg some multiple choice questions for Ls. Identify fluids and locations for Ps etc.

G

Gavvvvvin

Is this a good deal?

Question: Is a 97 Daewoo Lanos for $3000 a good deal?

Its in near perfect conditon inside and out, except for a small dent on the bonnet.

Its only other downside it it doesnt have power steering.

So is it worth it?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Sounds alright, I wouldn't worry about the lack of power steering in a car that light.

Personally though I'd look at something older for that money, that way you can get more car for your money. I'd suggest g2 camry's, g1 integras and cc lancers.

SlipStream

HSC
shortygb said:
i just noticed your a benefactor now, congratulations.
Thankyou! :) I guess I'm officially stuck here now! :p

Edit: I also now have moderating powers in this room... :cool: haha, so watch out!

Last edited:

SlipStream

HSC
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, considering that at least superficially it is in good condition. If I were you I'd inspect it or get someone to go over it for you to ensure there aren't any nasty (i.e. expensive) mechanical surprises waiting for you should you buy it.

I've attached a document that is identical to the one the NRMA uses on their inspections which you should find helpful if you're planning to inspect it on your own (took me ages to type up but it's helpful).

Also don't forget to get the VIN, engine and rego numbers to do a REVS check (www.revs.nsw.gov.au). And visit the NRMA's Motoring website for more tips on buying (http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring.asp).

FTHRW8

HSC
N/A
SlipStream, lets see if you tell me something before I go to get it checked out. Problems with my car:
1) Every time I go over the slightest bump, there seems to be a "rattle" in the rear part of the chassis of the car, to get an idea of what it soudns likeimagine the chassis had come "off" the body and was sort of rattling. Possibly shocks? Whats your take

2)Squeaking brakes- Possibly worn brake pads, but unlikely due to when I last had them changed, going to try cleaning with a high pressure cleaner or it could be warped discs as is crazy common on these cars.

3) Squeaking axles- Ok, this I have NFI on, the rotation of the wheels has a squeak as well, WTF

The car's a V8 Au2 Wagon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)