Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
gna said:
for car audio id get some 6"s are the front and 6x9s at the back. Has good equal sound running through front and back. But with $250 you wont get very far at all....
Then what would you recommend is the amount needed to get "far"?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
bong said:
Don't bother going for new rear speakers, spend more for the fronts. Sound should come from in front of you, not behind, not from the side. $300 really won't get you anywhere, if you can boost the budget a little, do it in stages. Remember - cost of installation.

Headunit first - the usual alpine/clarion/pioneer, but panasonic and jvc make some nice decks as well.

Front speakers second - Coaxials are probably the way to go, 2-way splits are usually better, but they're more troublesome to install correctly. Have a look at Phoenix Gold, Boston, Hertz. You might find it suits you better than alpine or pioneer

Don't get sucked into that 2-way, 3-way. The difference is minimal if any, in a well made driver. And these are in the SINGLE driver anyway. Add in road noise and any difference is well and truly out the window, unless sound deadening is used.

A proper 3-way setup consists of separate components (woofer, midrange, and tweeter) and is quite hard to install and tune correctly.

Final note, whatever you do, DONT get suckererd into the "whoaaa, 1000W amps and 200W speakers". They will no doubt be in peak power ratings, aka: ILS (if lightning strikes). Look for RMS power ratings.

The usual headunits usually put out less than 20 watts rms before things start to get funny. Entry level coaxials depending what brand will take around 50 wrms.

After a sub? plenty of nice entry levels - JL audio, Image Dynamics, Digital Designs, etc etc

Amp? Audison, Phoenix Gold, hell, even the new jaycar series is pretty good for the money.

edit: if you have to go strathfield, buy a pioneer headunit from them, take the free speakers if they offer any, and then depending on the brand, use it to knock out the salesman and run away before they offer to install the lot for you.
Hey thanks for the advice...I've currently already got a pioneer headunit which I got a few months ago...just want to improve the sound now. How much do you think I need to get 4 decent speakers?
Oh yeah - I don't really have any other options for installation than to get strathfield to do it as I don't really know anyone who could do it for me

SlipStream

HSC
Yeh I'm with DaddyK. Three months ago I knew nothing about car audio, now I know this and that and am in the process of installing a head unit into my car (first time, teaching myself) as well as making my own custom door panels for my speakers to fit into because they wouldn't otherwise.

And in the process saving myself literally hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. Strathfield told me $300 for custom panels. I told them to get... I should have the panels in (professional looking) for about $40. God damn. I'm also saving myself like $200 by installing it myself.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
DaddyK said:
sif not do it yourself, car audio installation is piss. Even if its your first time, its called lernding.
If it was just hooking wires and shit up I might think about doing it myself...but then I'd still have to find an expert to help me...of which I don't know any. But anyway, in my car the parcel tray and doors will have to be cut into which I only want someone who knows what they're doing to do.

bong

HSC
Well, anybody can solder a few wires together and screw speakers into a door - thats pretty basic. but how "easy as piss" is doing a fibreglass install correctly AND getting it to look stock? Or designing a sub box to suit the sub, car, AND type of music one listens to.

Sure, its great to do things yourself - if you know what you're doing, and have the tools. Not everyone knows what they're doing, or are sure that they wont blow something up :p

And sometimes spending the time learning how to do things, then doing it, just isn't worth it. Plenty of chances that it won't be right the first time

yenta, try lifestyle store (parramatta), doran pro audio (bankstown), or fhrx studios (sutherland). I'd personally go fhrx studios, but it is a bit of a drive depending where you are. Strathfield i seriously would stay away from.

As for how much to spend on speakers, it depends on the budget and what you're after. $200? $300? $1500? :D What headunit did you get? Do you want to add a sub/amp later on?

Slipstream, pics! :D what speaker are going in?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
bong said:
yenta, try lifestyle store (parramatta), doran pro audio (bankstown), or fhrx studios (sutherland). I'd personally go fhrx studios, but it is a bit of a drive depending where you are. Strathfield i seriously would stay away from.

As for how much to spend on speakers, it depends on the budget and what you're after. $200? $300? $1500? :D What headunit did you get? Do you want to add a sub/amp later on?
What is so bad about strathfield that you'd stay away from them??? :( I have a voucher I have to spend there :( I have $300 to buy 4 decent speakers, already got a Pioneer headunit which is about 6 months old (dunno the model sorry) and no I don't care to add a sub and amp later

bong

HSC
I've seen some pretty nasty "custom installs" from them. eg: exposed wires, making unsused holes in the car, not wiring speakers in phase....

Granted there could be a few "good" stores here and there. I mean, I suppose it wouldn't be too bad, if you watch them as they work, making sure they dont do random things.

You didn't notice a difference when you changed over from the stock to pioneer headunit?

If you have to go strathfield, go and listen to a few sets of speakers for yourself, sony, kenwood, pioneer. The best ones will be the one that you think sounds best. Sony and kenwood I haven't heard, so can't help you. The pioneer tsa1670/80 ? and tsa6960/70/80 ? i've heard. Sounds better than stock, but if they have the tse1695, i'd personally take them over the 1670/1680. 6980 needs a lot more power than from a headunit to really get moving, so it was rather dull and muffled.

As for cutting the parcel tray, i thought it'd be removable? If its not, make sure that whatever they do, they dont just cut a hole and screw the speaker into it, they should make a carpeted, or at least painted mdf backing cut to the right size. Same for the doors.

edit: or you could just buy a phone from them, sell the phone as new, then buy speakers from somewhere else :D

Last edited:

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
meh ive had a mate whos doing an apprenticeship in home theatre etc try and wire his own subs... ended up wrecking a 600 dollar head unit. Its not as easy as people claim, especially with amps etc.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Bong - what the hell are you on about with fibreglass? Making a box it easy...its called measure cut n glue/nail.

Wicked clown - how did your mate wreck a head unit installing it? all you have to do is rip out the radio, and attatch the new one to the correct wires/fittings.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
bong said:
I've seen some pretty nasty "custom installs" from them. eg: exposed wires, making unsused holes in the car, not wiring speakers in phase....

Granted there could be a few "good" stores here and there. I mean, I suppose it wouldn't be too bad, if you watch them as they work, making sure they dont do random things.

You didn't notice a difference when you changed over from the stock to pioneer headunit?

If you have to go strathfield, go and listen to a few sets of speakers for yourself, sony, kenwood, pioneer. The best ones will be the one that you think sounds best. Sony and kenwood I haven't heard, so can't help you. The pioneer tsa1670/80 ? and tsa6960/70/80 ? i've heard. Sounds better than stock, but if they have the tse1695, i'd personally take them over the 1670/1680. 6980 needs a lot more power than from a headunit to really get moving, so it was rather dull and muffled.

As for cutting the parcel tray, i thought it'd be removable? If its not, make sure that whatever they do, they dont just cut a hole and screw the speaker into it, they should make a carpeted, or at least painted mdf backing cut to the right size. Same for the doors.

edit: or you could just buy a phone from them, sell the phone as new, then buy speakers from somewhere else :D
Wtf if strathfield do it dodgy then who would do it well? They are a well-known, reputable (to me anyway) business so I can't see why they would do a dodgy job. If they do I'll get the bastards anyway.

Umm when I got the new headunit yes the sound improved slightly but it is still waaaay below what I want it to be.

What's this about "they should make a carpeted, or at least painted mdf backing cut to the right size." ?? That sounds veeeerry expensive :( oh well

SlipStream

HSC
bong said:
Slipstream, pics! :D what speaker are going in?
Well, like I said "in the process of" :p. I have had heaps of shifts at work this week, as well as 3 assessment tasks to do all due within a fortnight (I came on the net to do them but call me Mr. Distracted), so finding spare time to make the panels has been a biatch.

I still need to cut one, measure the other, then get both vinyl wrapped, then screw in the speakers, then wire up the head deck and speakers, and then bask in hopefully nice sound. :D

The speakers I got are Sony 6" 3-ways (Xplod). I've tried them on the soundboard at work and they sound pretty good.

bong

HSC
DaddyK - i meant reworking the car interior with fibreglass to fit system components, and yes, making a box is easy, making a box that'll get the best out of a sub is hard.

yenta - because they're far more concerned with turnover (or so im led to believe), but i have seen some nasty stuff as i've said. I suppose however, only the bad stuff ever gets out. oh, and the model number should be on the headunit face somwhere, dehp-xxxx. What arent you happy with? lack of bass? not loud enough? muffled?

mdf is there so the speaker is actually well secured, not just screwed into plastic. i mean, it is a tight budget you have, and getting components is only half the story, decent installs do cost money, but it is worth it.

an idea would be to get them to get into some detail on how the speakers are going to be installed, not just "yup, we're going to need to cut the parcel shelf and the door trim, and it'll cost $300 all up"

if you can wait and boost the budget a little, would well be worth it.

slipstream - you might want to have a look at "propods", though some people find them a bit on the ugly side :p, but if you've already got the material, good luck with it.

SlipStream

HSC
Yeh I've already spent a solid $20 on plywood. And I've spent waaaaay too much dosh to be wasting it lately... ;)

Besides I've seen what I'm doing done before and it looked good.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
yenta : if you dont/cant install it yourself just get it done with them. all these guys talking about bad installs etc, i'm sure its rare cases as they do installs all the time, and if you arent happy just take ur car back and tell emn to fix something up.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i have a question about cars

how can you get me a brand new red volkswagen golf for free?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
twisted_emily said:
i have a question about cars

how can you get me a brand new red volkswagen golf for free?
we can make you steal it...so we keep our end of the bargain...for free ;)

SlipStream

HSC
twisted_emily, looks like you may have a new night job.

You'll find tyre levers work just as well as crobars.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
cyrax83 said:
yenta : if you dont/cant install it yourself just get it done with them. all these guys talking about bad installs etc, i'm sure its rare cases as they do installs all the time, and if you arent happy just take ur car back and tell emn to fix something up.
Thanks for the advice, I found one or two people who might be able to help though. So now my budget is $300 just for speakers, and installation will cost a case of beer if this guy I know can do it :)
bong said:
yenta - because they're far more concerned with turnover (or so im led to believe), but i have seen some nasty stuff as i've said. I suppose however, only the bad stuff ever gets out. oh, and the model number should be on the headunit face somwhere, dehp-xxxx. What arent you happy with? lack of bass? not loud enough? muffled?
Ok, I found the model number, it's Pioneer DEH P2650 and they are 50W x 4. It's mainly more bass that I want and also more clarity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)