• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

GREATEST GUITAR SOLO(s) (2 Viewers)

adsta

HSC
For me it's the solo in "still loving you" by the scorpions. I get goosebumps when I hear it. It's not fast, but so emotional.

wanton-wonton

HSC
blackfriday said:
master of puppets was awesome but kerry king's in angel of death must surely be the craziest.
Slayer solos are shit. It's not melodic like MoP.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
slayer solos are great on Reign in Blood, they are chaotic, just like the song structures. There isn't an ounce of melody to be found on the disc. Btw, it owns the fuck out of MoP

slip

HSC
no doubt jimi hendrix had many great songs, riffs and solos, they are all awesome no matter how many times you listen to them.

my favourites definately have to be

rhcp - californication - john frusiante (both on the disc and live, live he adds a solo before the song to, and i swear the one on live from slane castle before cali is one of the most awesome solos i have ever seen)

i also like the solo from soul to squeeze, simple, melodic, beautiful.

john frusiante has writen so many awesome solos, and he never repeats a solo, what a musician.

one last point solos dont have to be dense long or complex to be great. the difference between many great guitarists and the ones you see in pubs is that great guitarist can make something really simple sound brilliant, which makes the brilliant things they play seem even more brilliant. case in point, kurt cobain, didnt play anything stunting from a guitar point of view but musically he wrote brilliant songs... i hope you get my point, but probably not.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
slip said:
one last point solos dont have to be dense long or complex to be great. the difference between many great guitarists and the ones you see in pubs is that great guitarist can make something really simple sound brilliant, which makes the brilliant things they play seem even more brilliant. case in point, kurt cobain, didnt play anything stunting from a guitar point of view but musically he wrote brilliant songs... i hope you get my point, but probably not.
yeah well said, but in essence i like a song which has a smooth flowing solo which incorporates the song and the emotions of the guitarist.
thats why i love Jimmy Pages Solo's. so much emotion

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
comfortably numb
freebird
layla
stairway to heaven
sweet child o mine
voodoo chile
maggotbrain
aqualung
umm.. more i cant think of atm

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
no i was just agreein, hence they 'yea' part. wow people cant agree anymore its now taken as copyin.

heybraham

HSC
ShatteredDreams said:
Slipknot do... solos?
apparently SPAMknot are very 'hardcore' at it too. (they spam worse then Metallica)

They should really learn from Guns N' Roses - Sympathy For the Devil how to make guitar spam sound good.

Emotional (melodic) solos > spammage

Last edited:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
heybraham said:
apparently SPAMknot are very 'hardcore' at it too. (they spam worse then Metallica)

They should really learn from Guns N' Roses - Sympathy For the Devil how to make guitar spam sound good.

Emotional (melodic) solos > spammage
wtf, spammage in music

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)