Half-Yearly Thoughts (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
The highest in my class for Physics was 96% :angry:

Wow, your results are truly outstanding. Just improve on your English mark and you'll do great in the HSC. In regards to your accelerated courses, those marks aren't too shabby either. The 2U one is just amazing, but I think the 3U one just needs a niggle on.

And by the way, my school is ranked WAYYYYYYY lower than yours so you don't need the fret :p
Thanks =]

Still if you got 90% and the highest was 96%, I still think that's really good.

And if you're school is what I think it is, then the ranking isn't too bad - you beat some of the decent schools in my area, and they still get decent results.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Japanese maybe (but in saying that it's still pretty good) but 90% is pretty good for physics... and I think i can guess what school you go to... but I won't say because that'll be mean =].

We didn't have official half-yearlies for some reason, but we got our reports back really early (most were based on exams, some were based on assignments). Can't remember my marks, but i can remember my rankings:

Got my rankings back for most subjects
English (Adv) - 9th/~60 :angry:
Business Studies - 1st/~75
Physics - Equal 1st/~60
Software Design and Development - 1st/25
Studies of Religion - haven't found out from teacher

And since I'm doing accelerated maths, my rankings aren't really a good indicator:
Maths (2u) - 4th/25 (in the Year 11 2u Accelerated class)
Maths (3u) - 3rd/9 (in the Year 11 3u Accelerated class)

So yeah, not too good (because my school's ranking isn't that high - 126) but I'm alright with it - just gotta start working, especially on maths and english.
Your accelerated subjects aren't too bad. You can repeat them next year. :)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Thanks =]

Still if you got 90% and the highest was 96%, I still think that's really good.

And if you're school is what I think it is, then the ranking isn't too bad - you beat some of the decent schools in my area, and they still get decent results.
some how, I think we're thinking of entirely different schools.

It's not Burwood Girls if that's what you were thinking :p

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Your accelerated subjects aren't too bad. You can repeat them next year.

Yeah but it would be nice not having to do them again - and I wanna get into a distinction course. Gotta study harder for my trials and the HSC exam.

Doctor Jolly said:

It's not Burwood Girls if that's what you were thinking
Well I thought it was that in the beginning, but you said it was crap, and Burwood Girls ripps my school. If I'm right, your schools ranked 300-400? Which as I said isn't too bad, you can still do good in a school with that ranking and there are usually some good people at the top positions.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Yeah but it would be nice not having to do them again - and I wanna get into a distinction course. Gotta study harder for my trials and the HSC exam.
Which Distinction Course? I might see you there! (if I get in :mad1: )

I am aiming for 48/50 or over that. At this stage, I am probably looking at 47/50, based on my current rank & my school's history of Band 6 in Mathematics Extension 1. In Mathematics, I guess about 97 to 98.

You will probably need to get Band 6 in your accelerated course to get in. I have a friend at my school who is doing Philosophy at the moment. He got 47/50 in Mathematics Extension 1 as his accelerated subject.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Well I thought it was that in the beginning, but you said it was crap, and Burwood Girls ripps my school. If I'm right, your schools ranked 300-400? Which as I said isn't too bad, you can still do good in a school with that ranking and there are usually some good people at the top positions.
Actually it's in between 400-500 :p

But yeah, what you said is true. My sisters went to the same school and got 95.75 and 96.35 respectively :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Which Distinction Course? I might see you there! (if I get in :mad1: )

I am aiming for 48/50 or over that. At this stage, I am probably looking at 47/50, based on my current rank & my school's history of Band 6 in Mathematics Extension 1. In Mathematics, I guess about 97 to 98.

You will probably need to get Band 6 in your accelerated course to get in. I have a friend at my school who is doing Philosophy at the moment. He got 47/50 in Mathematics Extension 1 as his accelerated subject.
I wanna get into either Philosophy or Cosmology (not sure what to take), and yeah I know you need a Band 6. I'm pretty sure I can get a band 6 for 2u, but 3u, I think i can get it if I really work hard from now to the HSC. But in saying that, two people from my school last year did distinction courses (Soul-Searcher - maths genius) and live.fast and a few more non-BOS pats guys I'm pretty sure.

My maths teacher said that someone got into a distinction course and only got 85 in their HSC for maths (2u) when they were accelerating, so yeah that makes me feel better. And even if I do get Band 6s (I'm really hoping so), I'll prob re-do 3u (not 2u because I'm hoping to take up 4u).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Actually it's in between 400-500 :p

But yeah, what you said is true. My sisters went to the same school and got 95.75 and 96.35 respectively :)
Were your sisters Dux? I reckon they were.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
I wanna get into either Philosophy or Cosmology (not sure what to take), and yeah I know you need a Band 6. I'm pretty sure I can get a band 6 for 2u, but 3u, I think i can get it if I really work hard from now to the HSC. But in saying that, two people from my school last year did distinction courses (Soul-Searcher - maths genius) and live.fast and a few more non-BOS pats guys I'm pretty sure.

My maths teacher said that someone got into a distinction course and only got 85 in their HSC for maths (2u) when they were accelerating, so yeah that makes me feel better. And even if I do get Band 6s (I'm really hoping so), I'll prob re-do 3u (not 2u because I'm hoping to take up 4u).
Do Cosmology!!! I will be there!!! :) :) :)

If you are maths-science person, go for Cosmology
If you are english-history-sor person, go for Philosophy.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Were your sisters Dux? I reckon they were.
Nah. In my older sister's year there was a girl who got 99.8 (she's a doctor now) and in my second sister's year the girl got 97 point something and she got dux.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
Got my report today:
> Studies of Religion 1 - Mark: 50/50 - Rank: 1/94
> Mathematics - Mark: 94/100 - Rank: 1/31
> Mathematics Extension 1 - Mark: 34/50 - Rank: 5/13
> Chemistry - Mark: 80/100 - Rank: 3/18
> Music 1 - Mark: 96/100 - Rank: 1/10
> PDHPE - Mark: 90/100 - Rank: 1/19
> English Advanced - Mark: 80/100 - Rank: 7/46

Happy that the hard work has paid off in most cases; and now have to work on extension maths exam technique and possibly Chemistry and English too. But other than that: over the moon!
Congrats man...awesome marks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Nah. In my older sister's year there was a girl who got 99.8 (she's a doctor now) and in my second sister's year the girl got 97 point something and she got dux.
How unfortunate.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:

It's not Burwood Girls if that's what you were thinking :p
Bankstown Grammar lol.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Do Cosmology!!! I will be there!!! :) :) :)

If you are maths-science person, go for Cosmology
If you are english-history-sor person, go for Philosophy.
LOL still not sure, because I'm kinda both. I'm obviosuly a maths/science person because I accelerate maths and I do physics BUT i do like religion (I know, pretty weird).

But then again i dropped Ext English and 2u SOR so that might suggest I probably won't like Philosophy - so yeah still not sure but kinda leaning towards cosmo.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
How unfortunate.
Oh well. They are both successful and happy :)
My eldest sister is an accountant now working for Deloitte and my other sister is a uni student and UNSW and she got a scholarship there.

Oh great.. I have huge shoes to fill :(

Aplus said:
Bankstown Grammar lol.
not even lol :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
LOL still not sure, because I'm kinda both. I'm obviosuly a maths/science person because I accelerate maths and I do physics BUT i do like religion (I know, pretty weird).

But then again i dropped Ext English and 2u SOR so that might suggest I probably won't like Philosophy - so yeah still not sure but kinda leaning towards cosmo.
So am I. I am more of a english-religion person than being maths-science person. But I would like to learn about universe and all the stuffs about it. It really fascinates me.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Ooo... thats cut LOL.
That's like at my school last year, our dux was 99.85, but two guys got 99.5 and 99.35, and in any other year both of them would've gotten dux.

lyounamu said:
So am I. I am more of a english-religion person than being maths-science person. But I would like to learn about universe and all the stuffs about it. It really fascinates me.
They both seem pretty interesting to me =]

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Ooo... thats cut LOL.
That's like at my school last year, our dux was 99.85, but two guys got 99.5 and 99.35, and in any other year both of them would've gotten dux.
That IS bad... but I think getting anywhere above 95 should be recognised. That's like top 5% of the state :eek:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aplus said:
Sure it isn't. You could say that for every school.
It's true.. I don't go to either.

Both Namu and Nathan know what school I go to so they know I'm not lying :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)