Half-Yearly Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
lol good......ranked either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in everything :)
Hmmm, you did that at Kings? Way to go!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
thanks heaps.....took me a fair bit of studying, especially for maths tho....but it all paid off in the end :)

and lol, kings isn't that great for academics....
1st, 2nd and 3rd in top 100 academic school = 99 or 98 UAI (at least).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
What is Kings ranked, anyway?
76 from the 2007 result. I will guess that there will be about 5-8 people getting 99 UAI at that school.

Mine is 101. We have about 2-4 people getting over 99.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Do they have scholarships at Kings? :D

It'd be awesome if you didn't have to pay for anything... :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:

They probably do. I think all private schools do.

I got a scholarship into Newington and Grammar. Didn't accept though, cause I made it to High.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Continuum said:

LOL, I got a scholarship to my school :p And it is very cool :cool:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
LOL, I got a scholarship to my school :p And it is very cool :cool:
How much does the school cover your fees? Do you get any student allowances to buy books and stuff? :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Continuum said:
How much does the school cover your fees? Do you get any student allowances to buy books and stuff? :p
They give me $200 a year which is good enough because seniors don't have many excursions or things to pay for. Yeah, we get student allowances which is included in the $200, but I don't reclaim them.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
oh and to keep on topic, here are my half yearly results:

English Ad: =3/69, 81%
Maths Ad: 1/70, 100%
Economics: 2/17, 89%
Physics: 4/17, 90%
Japanese Cont: 3/12, 82%
Maths 3U: 1/17, 90%
English 3U: 2/6, N/A

Anyone care to estimate what I'd get as a UAI if I keep this up? I need to desperatley improve on Physics and Japanese though :(

shaon0

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
oh and to keep on topic, here are my half yearly results:

English Ad: =3/69, 81%
Maths Ad: 1/70, 100%
Economics: 2/17, 89%
Physics: 4/17, 90%
Japanese Cont: 3/12, 82%
Maths 3U: 1/17, 90%
English 3U: 2/6, N/A

Anyone care to estimate what I'd get as a UAI if I keep this up? I need to desperatley improve on Physics and Japanese though :(
wat school do u go 2?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
sikhman said:
yeah....kings offers scholarships (i'm on one)

theres 30 or 40 different types....each one is different

some are just tuition (apprix. 18-20k per year) while others cover tuiton and 300-400 per term for other expenses, plus there are boarding bursaries. plus there are scholarships to oxford, sydney uni, cambridge etc.

and nice ranks doctor jolly :)
:burn:
30 or 40 different types!! that's HUGE and all that money ...

bored of sc

HSC
Got my report today:
> Studies of Religion 1 - Mark: 50/50 - Rank: 1/94
> Mathematics - Mark: 94/100 - Rank: 1/31
> Mathematics Extension 1 - Mark: 34/50 - Rank: 5/13
> Chemistry - Mark: 80/100 - Rank: 3/18
> Music 1 - Mark: 96/100 - Rank: 1/10
> PDHPE - Mark: 90/100 - Rank: 1/19
> English Advanced - Mark: 80/100 - Rank: 7/46

Happy that the hard work has paid off in most cases; and now have to work on extension maths exam technique and possibly Chemistry and English too. But other than that: over the moon!

adidasboy

weee
HSC
bored of sc said:
Got my report today:
> Studies of Religion 1 - Mark: 50/50 - Rank: 1/94
> Mathematics - Mark: 94/100 - Rank: 1/31
> Mathematics Extension 1 - Mark: 34/50 - Rank: 5/13
> Chemistry - Mark: 80/100 - Rank: 3/18
> Music 1 - Mark: 96/100 - Rank: 1/10
> PDHPE - Mark: 90/100 - Rank: 1/19
> English Advanced - Mark: 80/100 - Rank: 7/46

Happy that the hard work has paid off in most cases; and now have to work on extension maths exam technique and possibly Chemistry and English too. But other than that: over the moon!
awesome marks!!! :lol: How did you do it lol ?? Teach me please :shy:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
:burn:
30 or 40 different types!! that's HUGE and all that money ...

Japanese maybe (but in saying that it's still pretty good) but 90% is pretty good for physics... and I think i can guess what school you go to... but I won't say because that'll be mean =].

We didn't have official half-yearlies for some reason, but we got our reports back really early (most were based on exams, some were based on assignments). Can't remember my marks, but i can remember my rankings:

Got my rankings back for most subjects
English (Adv) - 9th/~60 :angry:
Business Studies - 1st/~75
Physics - Equal 1st/~60
Software Design and Development - 1st/25
Studies of Religion - haven't found out from teacher

And since I'm doing accelerated maths, my rankings aren't really a good indicator:
Maths (2u) - 4th/25 (in the Year 11 2u Accelerated class)
Maths (3u) - 3rd/9 (in the Year 11 3u Accelerated class)

So yeah, not too good (because my school's ranking isn't that high - 126) but I'm alright with it - just gotta start working, especially on maths and english.

bored of sc

HSC
adidasboy said:
awesome marks!!! :lol: How did you do it lol ?? Teach me please :shy:
Assignments: taking your time and know exactly what the question means, and therefore work out an answer that thoroughly answers this question.

Exams: have a good exam technique (e.g. in maths, effeciency - not too fast so that the silly errors pile on but not too slow that you won't be able to complete the test, substituting in answers into original equations etc).

But when it comes down it - it's knowing your stuff - and by this I mean understanding the concept thoroughly.

As an example: Sure, someone may be able to name all 206 bones in the body but if they don't know the basic functions that bones have in the human body then what's the point of learning all the bones? It's like remembering the formulae for acceleration as [a = v-u/t] but not knowing what each letter means.

Also, for an exam your frame of mind needs to be on the exam - not "I am going to go well in this exam cause I studied!" Live in the moment, work out what needs doing at a particular moment in time. Concentration is a must!

bored of sc

HSC
the-derivative said:
Physics - Equal 1st/~60

And since I'm doing accelerated maths, my rankings aren't really a good indicator:
You've done well mate. 1st in 3 subjects!! Congrats.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
bored of sc said:
Assignments: taking your time and know exactly what the question means, and therefore work out an answer that thoroughly answers this question.

Exams: have a good exam technique (e.g. in maths, effeciency - not too fast so that the silly errors pile on but not too slow that you won't be able to complete the test, substituting in answers into original equations etc).

But when it comes down it - it's knowing your stuff - and by this I mean understanding the concept thoroughly.

As an example: Sure, someone may be able to name all 206 bones in the body but if they don't know the basic functions that bones have in the human body then what's the point of learning all the bones? It's like remembering the formulae for acceleration as [a = v-u/t] but not knowing what each letter means.

Also, for an exam your frame of mind needs to be on the exam - not "I am going to go well in this exam cause I studied!" Live in the moment, work out what needs doing at a particular moment in time. Concentration is a must!
That is so true. Exam technique is vital. Each subject has some exam techniques which can help maximise your marks, mainly you have to train yourself with practice so you're able to answer the question with that is required (basically don't babble on about irrelevant stuff - you're just wasting your time and space on the paper).

Also try and be able to maximise your speed - this is essential in subjects like business studies where you have to write a lot, and also maths where you have to be able to do a lot of qs in a short amount of time. To achieve this in all subjects I recommend practise.

EDIT:
bored of sc said:
You've done well mate. 1st in 3 subjects!! Congrats.
Thanks man, I still got work to do though. You did really well yourself =]

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Japanese maybe (but in saying that it's still pretty good) but 90% is pretty good for physics... and I think i can guess what school you go to... but I won't say because that'll be mean =].

We didn't have official half-yearlies for some reason, but we got our reports back really early (most were based on exams, some were based on assignments). Can't remember my marks, but i can remember my rankings:

Physics - Equal 1st/~60

So yeah, not too good (because my school's ranking isn't that high - 126) but I'm alright with it - just gotta start working, especially on maths and english.
The highest in my class for Physics was 96% :angry:

Wow, your results are truly outstanding. Just improve on your English mark and you'll do great in the HSC. In regards to your accelerated courses, those marks aren't too shabby either. The 2U one is just amazing, but I think the 3U one just needs a niggle on.

And by the way, my school is ranked WAYYYYYYY lower than yours so you don't need the fret :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)