Handy Hints for the School Certificate (1 Viewer)

mioumiou

HSC
Don't study hard. Study smart. This is an advice from my teacher.
There's no point in continually going over all your notes or spending too much time studying if you don't understand it, don't know the skills or if they're not going to be tested anyway.

Go over past papers and see what they test you in. Don't waste your time on studying every single thing the teachers give you -- especially Science because from what I can see only some of the questions are based on knowledge.
The rest are skills so you better practice on that more than studying (though there are some skills there that require at least a bit of background knowledge so don't completely abandon studying either).

Summaries are <3. Go into details later on once you're sure you know the basic gist of it and if you have enough time. This is useful for cramming because once you get the basic idea of it, if you didn't have enough time to study, you can at least guess the details from your little background knowledge.

Do multiple choice last. You can always guess and have a 25% chance of getting something right even if you don't finish the question and just guess unlike if you miss out on the responses part.
Also -- only as a last resort -- if you're still not finished with multiple choice and there's no time to read, just pick one letter and choose that for ALL the remaining q's. If you pick randomly, there's a chance that you'll get all of them wrong. If you pick only one continually, you'll be able to get at least one of them right...probably unless you only have a few q's left.

Also, don't stress too much about it. Year 10 is more of a practice in formal exams for HSC if you're going to Year 12, or so I've been told.
SC isn't that bad -- it will only be bad once you start thinking it is, so relax and make the most out of your last years before being a senior (if you're planning on continuing) because this will probably be our last chance to laze around. :haha:

coughi'mtryingtosoundsmartcough
+1

Just try to relax when your doing the exams. I found that effective. Go through the past papers rather study everything (it's toally useless). And SC doesn't even count towards anything, but it's a good practise of the HSC exams. (the exam conditions, the timing for each questions etc.)

koolkid59

HSC
hey guys
i do practise sc english mc comprehension questions
and i get like bad results.....its annoying.......any advice....cuz i really
wanna get ban 6 in it...
plz help<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>

bored of sc

HSC
hey guys
i do practise sc english mc comprehension questions
and i get like bad results.....its annoying.......any advice....cuz i really
wanna get ban 6 in it...
plz help<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
The most obvious answer is usually the right one.

Go with your gut instinct.

If possible, cover up the multiple options, read the question as if it is a short answer, write down your answer then see if it matches up to any of the multiple choice options.

Be sure to physically read EVERY multiple choice option in their entirety. Just because you think option (A) is correct that doesn't mean (B), (C) or (D) could be MORE correct. That's the thing with english multiple choice style questions. There are many cases when two or more options are valid however you have to answer the most logically correct option based on the context of the question.

Over-analysis is a major flaw of many gifted english students. Don't ponder over any single multi-chocie question. After all, they are each worth only 1 mark. So sometimes, NOT checking over your answers a second time could be beneficial to your performance.

The technique of 'tautology' seems to always be in english multi-choice papers. 'Tautology' is the needless repetition of an idea. Know what it means and don't just choose the answer containing it because it sounds fancy and intelligent.

noreun

HSC
do u hav any advice 4 religion?

Religion is compulsory at our skool :burn:
Hahah, same here.

Tips for religion would be to elaborate on everything. Whenever you think that you've written enough, keep writing. While you elaborate your points, it's also important to relate it back to the question.
If you are given a source like a picture or a quote, make sure to draw conclusions from it and to always find some way integrate it into your answer.

Remember to strike a balance between keeping your answers detailed but also concise. This is probably best learnt through experience and getting teacher feedback.

Overall tips for the school certificate would be to listen in class. They won't ask you everything you learn in class but this helps you to build on your understanding of the concept that will hopefully give you an advantage in the test.
For maths, do past papers. There's no point just reading over the rules, you have to actually apply them to the questions. Doing past papers also helps in the sense that it gives you a little bit of insight into how they structure everything and the type of questions they will ask.

Trials are generally harder than the actual thing. Use the trials to see what you need to improve or brush up on. Other than that, I would take a step back and just cruise along until the actual thing.

And finally, don't stress about it. It probably seems really daunting right now, with your teachers trying to get all the material covered, but after the trials you'll realise that it's not such a mammoth event after all.

Chambalam

HSC
My sharpest advice would be...

Study for Geography and History, and science. Forget maths and english. The maths and english SC exams are woeful - they test nothing but your natural ability / comprehensive skills.

Grab a copy of the syllabus, go summarise a textbook, go paraphrase your notebook - learn your notes, and walk in with information on every possible question - it will give you a huge heads up for next year

DraganaNinkovic

HSC
N/A
Thanks :) Really helpful have my trials tomorrow and then my sc next term wk 5 so thanks :)

NajaKaja

HSC
My sharpest advice would be...

Study for Geography and History, and science. Forget maths and english. The maths and english SC exams are woeful - they test nothing but your natural ability / comprehensive skills.

Grab a copy of the syllabus, go summarise a textbook, go paraphrase your notebook - learn your notes, and walk in with information on every possible question - it will give you a huge heads up for next year
What if you really suck at the writing part of the english exam?

C15K

HSC
i'm stressing out. i'm doing the multiple choice for geography and there are so many things that my teacher hasn't taught us. If i get results like i am now on my actual i will cry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)