Harvard AIDS Expert Says POPE IS CORRECT on Condom Distribution Making AIDS Worse (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well, given that you asked "If it's smaller than a sperm, then surely it would be easier for it to escape the sheath?", yeah, pretty much.

:rolleyes:
Serious comprehension malfunction!

I was asking whether the chances of becoming infected with the virus are greater than the chances of falling pregant, assuming that a sheath is used

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Serious comprehension malfunction!

I was asking whether the chances of becoming infected with the virus are greater than the chances of falling pregant, assuming that a sheath is used
Lol, please do enlighten me as to where you said this

Also, I don't think you can really equate the two, but the associated risk/success rates are as follows:

According to a 2000 report by the National Institutes of Health, correct and consistent use of latex condoms reduces the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by approximately 85% relative to risk when unprotected, putting the seroconversion rate (infection rate) at 0.9 per 100 person-years with condom, down from 6.7 per 100 person-years.
The typical use pregnancy rate among condom users varies depending on the population being studied, ranging from 10–18% per year.[97] The perfect use pregnancy rate of condoms is 2% per year.[3] Condoms may be combined with other forms of contraception (such as spermicide) for greater protection.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
There was nothing wrong with what the Pope said. Encouraging less sex, not more, is always the better solution to preventing sexually transmitted diseases

fight your throbbing voodoo urges, Africa
Abstinence is totally fine, but in such an Aids-ridden part of the world it is still irresponsible to tell people not to use condoms if they do have sex.
It would be like my Dad telling me not to drive till I have my Ps, but if I do happen to drive, make sure that I don't wear a seatbelt.
I think that the Catholic Church is the single largest contributing factor towards the magnitude with which AIDS affects Africa and South America. That's just my opinion though, so please go easy on me Iron.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol, please do enlighten me as to where you said this

Also, I don't think you can really equate the two, but the associated risk/success rates are as follows:
Boo-urns to your miscomprehension, but that's interesting and as I suspected.

10-18% chance of pregnancy is, I think, significant. But further to that, the chance of catching the infection is the higher minimum of 15%.
Therefore it is very wrong to throw out condoms and tell people that this will protect you 99%, go nuts in your debauchery

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Abstinence is totally fine, but in such an Aids-ridden part of the world it is still irresponsible to tell people not to use condoms if they do have sex.
It would be like my Dad telling me not to drive till I have my Ps, but if I do happen to drive, make sure that I don't wear a seatbelt.
I think that the Catholic Church is the single largest contributing factor towards the magnitude with which AIDS affects Africa and South America. That's just my opinion though, so please go easy on me Iron.
We dont tell people these things. We actually say what the science advises - abstain until you find a long-term partner who has also abstained

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
We dont tell people these things. We actually say what the science advises - abstain until you find a long-term partner who has also abstained
But the Catholic Church also "advises" people against the use of condoms, right? They have to be a bit realistic and accomodate for the fact that people will have sex. Sure, they may think the the very use of condoms is unethical, but we're talking about life and death here.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Why should we accomodate sin? We're talking about life - how to respect it, how to do it

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Doubt it. Many of the mistaken uses are probably unavoidable and undetectable until too late.

Surely no one doubts that condoms offer substantial protection against STDs. What we're talking about are unhealthy attitudes to sex that contraceptives may encourage, when good old fashioned Catholic abstinence and monogamy offers superior protection, physical and moral

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Doubt it. Many of the mistaken uses are probably unavoidable and undetectable until too late.

Surely no one doubts that condoms offer substantial protection against STDs. What we're talking about are unhealthy attitudes to sex that contraceptives may encourage, when good old fashioned Catholic abstinence and monogamy offers superior protection, physical and moral
The Pope does.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na, bint. He was attacking the false promises of 'total' protection that some make in advertising them, when the actual stats arent very reassuring for the promiscuous

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Na, bint. He was attacking the false promises of 'total' protection that some make in advertising them, when the actual stats arent very reassuring for the promiscuous
IDK, sounded like he was saying "condoms increase the risk of infection" and "do not prevent infection by the virus" to me

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
"You can't resolve it with the distribution of condoms," the pope told reporters aboard the Alitalia plane heading to Yaounde. "On the contrary, it increases the problem."

AIDS will be defeated though sensible monogamy - self restraint and all that - not encouraging/tempting even further promoiscuity through imperfect devices.
Taken literally and not as a fairly informal talk to reporters who were assumed to be of greater intelligence, I suppose that you could interpret it as "OMG CONDOMS GIVE MORE AIDS". But really, it's such a beat-up. Any real Catholic would expect the pope to say this.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol what's so unrealistic about monogamy? It's a beautiful thing. Soul-mate, better half and all that
This is why marriage is so important as a social norm. The commitment that the couple make is to themselves, to the community and to God.

There must be crushing social pressure placed on everyone to (a) get married and (b) stay married, lest you be socially ruined by being labeled a fag or hoe

The second you start making concessions against this, all of society starts to crumble (hence: now)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To me, it is clear that his definition of "it" in the second statement is 'the encouragement of promiscuity', which underlines the "distribution of condoms". This is consistent with his former views, the former Pope's views and the views of all Catholics.

Stupid beat up

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Wanna explain how a slut like me can also be a Catholic? Or are you going to excommunicate me from the Catholic religion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)