has anyone started their compositions? (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
am i really far behind? i haven't touched mine.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
last year i was probably just starting it now- i was sposed to experiment with stuff over the hols, and then have ideas when i got back to school. hahaha needless to say i had no ideas and therefore started from scratch.

i dont think it realy matters how early/late you start it (apart from the obvious advantage of more time!) cos i was still working on mine the day before it was due (editing etc etc)

start asap- u have more time to do it in, and therefore will be less stressed in teh weeks before its due to be submitted

tonka87

music composition

i have barely started my composition.. like most ppl i think, i was meant to have done a whole lot of thinking and planning through the holidays which, needless to say i didnt do.
im doing it as australian music... and im supposedly representing multiculturalism within australia.
have others started or finished theres? noone else in my class is doing composition (there are only like 4 of us anyway) ..
so yeah..hows it all goin?

olay

HSC
ermm....but everyone has to do a composition... O_O

haha haven't started mine still. wrote down my first idea ?last wk? :D i'm thinking of doing this thing with natural elements - i.e. play the water, metal yadayaya. :) who knows where that'll go. LoL

tonka87

nah my friends are doing performance instead of composition (like as their elective kinda thing).
yeah ur idea about playing the elements sounds kool. :)

olay

HSC
yeah, but everyone still has their core compositions to do. [i'm doing elective performance as well..].

so far i've got my instrumentation and i know that i'm aiming for a jazzy feel. :S minute progress. better than nothing i suppose!

how are all of yours going????

MouNtY

all three of my electives are performances. ffor the core composition we havent even bein asked to start it yet. or am i sposed to take the initiative and start it anyway?

olay

HSC
yeah we weren't asked to start it til a couple of wks ago. i had to bring it up myself. O_O hes like "Yeah, you should probably have an outline by now." we're like "WTF??? we don't even have our portfolios yet!!!!". so go team initiative. he wants a whole draft for half of my piece next wk. O_O i don't even have a chord progression happily established yet, and i'm writing for 4 instruments.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
muahha. i always left my compositions to the last minute. as in, the day before it was due o__O;; i mean, i'd already had ideas and stuff that i'd written down, like an alberti bass or whatever, but ahah i never learn :p so i highly recommend you get started on the ASAP. your teacher should be willing to help you as much as s/he can. my music teacher, bless her, actually came over to our houses a few days before we had to submit our compositions to the Big Wigs, on a saturday, and helped us. gotta love her.

problem with my compositions was that they all sounded kinda similar :D not that my teacher really cared. the way i composed - sat down at piano. play a broken chord in left hand. played a melody in right hand. voila! i came up with some really good melodies sometimes but as soon as i got up to get a pen and paper, i'd forget it -___-;;;

MouNtY

hey that sounds like a great teacher you got there.

I took all y'alls advice and i took the anitiative and started on mah own.

olay

HSC
? isn't there a 2 min time limit?????? [or 3??]

chepas

HSC
Mmm... I have the 2U elective that I have to hand in last week...- compo diary that is, and have to start still. Wonderful. I think I'll just develop this crappy little fugue I did last year.

For extension, anyone doing composition? I'm doin some choral thing with the Sun, and the Moon - contrasting movements/pieces. i've got this french poem for the moon and I'm making up some random Africanish/Karl Jenkinsish nonce syllables for the Sun, and getting our dodgy vocal group to perform it.

What's people doing?

sammeh

2-3 min time limit. and as far as i was aware you dont have a composition core unit - your teacher may choose to give you an assessment that is a composition but they're seperate entities to if you choose composition as an elective ie my teacher suggests that i use my in class composition for my elective as well. im thinking i'll do it on the jazz unit and improvise over a nice little chord progression for 3 minutes :p

edit: actually im certain that there is no core composition. there is a core performance and aural, but after that its all electives.

Last edited:

5c

HSC
havent started//
teacher neva mentioned ne thign abt core composition///
we've done a composition for an assessment last term though....

olay

HSC
:D I HAVE THREE BARS NOW WOOT WOOT :D LOL *sigh* i started over like 3 times or sthg. O_O

Originally posted by sammeh
2-3 min time limit. and as far as i was aware you dont have a composition core unit - your teacher may choose to give you an assessment that is a composition but they're seperate entities to if you choose composition as an elective ie my teacher suggests that i use my in class composition for my elective as well. im thinking i'll do it on the jazz unit and improvise over a nice little chord progression for 3 minutes :p

edit: actually im certain that there is no core composition. there is a core performance and aural, but after that its all electives.
O_O that can't be right, because well i'm doing performance as my elective, but i still have to submit a composition. everyone does! i'm talking about music II btw.

chepas

HSC
Congratulations on your 3 bars! if they're bars of like, 16/4 time and at about 32 crotchet beats a minute then you've got your composition finished. - For the core compo?

AMC for me tomorrow. - Inspiration desperatle needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)