Help for CAFS students. (1 Viewer)

Kat92

HSC
Anyone know how to set out the timeline for the irp? :S
Use excel and split it up into proposed and actual times in a Gantt chart. Also use different colours where possible and have a key.

There are heaps of online tutorials by Microsoft that go step by step if you are not IT inclined. Otherwise you could perhaps use a diary and keep a record that way-- it depends on what your teacher has stipulated.

HSC
Hey, guys, I'm kind of stuck and need some advice.

I am thinking of the topic Facebook and young people, and I've come up with a few focus questions

"How does Facebook impact on the emotional, social and physical wellbeing of a teenager?"
"What are the effects of Facebook on an individual's relationships with others in the physical world?"
"What are the effects of Facebook on the development of an individual's social and communication skills?"
"What role does Facebook play in the development of the individual?

And one from "Students and the HSC"

What are the strategies implemented by students of the HSC in order to effectively manage study demands, stress levels and resources effectively?"

I'm so stuck. I can't choose between these. Any advice?

Kat92

HSC
Hey, guys, I'm kind of stuck and need some advice.

I am thinking of the topic Facebook and young people, and I've come up with a few focus questions

"How does Facebook impact on the emotional, social and physical wellbeing of a teenager?"
"What are the effects of Facebook on an individual's relationships with others in the physical world?"
"What are the effects of Facebook on the development of an individual's social and communication skills?"
"What role does Facebook play in the development of the individual?

And one from "Students and the HSC"

What are the strategies implemented by students of the HSC in order to effectively manage study demands, stress levels and resources effectively?"

I'm so stuck. I can't choose between these. Any advice?

I personally think the top one would allow for more scope. You could perhaps do a comparison between older FB users in the survey as well to get a better sample and indication of the contributing factors.
And if you don't know any older FB users you could always create a survey through survey monkey and post the link on here. I am sure people would be able to help you out!

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm with kourto on this one, proposal is due 10pm Sunday night and I still have no idea. My original plan was going to be something about body image but my teacher shot it down saying that it would be impossible to get full marks with a cliched idea... and then told me to find something I felt passionate about - offering topics like divorce and racism to the table. Urg. I am particularly passionate about health and fitness, and I see a psychologist about my perfectionism (not as pathetic as it sounds guys!), so that could be a topic as well...

Suggestions? :(

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm with kourto on this one, proposal is due 10pm Sunday night and I still have no idea. My original plan was going to be something about body image but my teacher shot it down saying that it would be impossible to get full marks with a cliched idea... and then told me to find something I felt passionate about - offering topics like divorce and racism to the table. Urg. I am particularly passionate about health and fitness, and I see a psychologist about my perfectionism (not as pathetic as it sounds guys!), so that could be a topic as well...

Concerning my IRP, that is.

Kat92

HSC

Ok, I have just had an idea. How about at the time of the HSC many factors such as Physical, emotional,etc affects one's body image. From there you could also link to media articles, peer pressure and other contributing factors as per from the syllabus. That way you are at least eliminating the cliche of thin vs fat stereotypes within the society view (Which I think your teacher is referring to).

Ugh, divorce and racism-- I agree with you on that (if you are not interested, there is no pointing doing a whole research project on them). :D

Perfectionism as you said could work, but would be very hard to get people to survey.

Hopefully this helps! Good luck. :)

HSC
Hey, is this a good question. I am confident with this question, and I feel like I can get a rich amount of secondary info for this one for the Literature review.
“What are the effects of social media on the physiological, physical, social, and emotional well-being and development of an adolescent?

Kat92

HSC
Hey, is this a good question. I am confident with this question, and I feel like I can get a rich amount of secondary info for this one for the Literature review.
“What are the effects of social media on the physiological, physical, social, and emotional well-being and development of an adolescent?
It sounds good and I can't see why it wouldn't work! :)

HSC
But I just have one concern; is it to cliche? I don't really have many resources at all to do anything unique or different.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
But I just have one concern; is it to cliche? I don't really have many resources at all to do anything unique or different.
Perhaps do a comparison between some different age groups. Also find relevant articles in the media that support your research.

HSC
Don't you summarize all the secondary research in a literature review? Wouldn't that include summarizing the information from media articles?

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Yes, you do.

Essentially, you could have a question that links back to some of the research conducted within the literature review. But certainly survey more than one age group, or otherwise it would be a little cliche.

HSC
I wrote adolescent, Well, I could try to gain a parent's perspective of how social media has affected their teenager's well-being? Is that what you sort of mean?

Kat92

HSC
That would actually work!

Just as a thought perhaps maybe you could ask whether the parents experienced any such influences of social media when they were teens depending upon the age range you survey.

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, I have just had an idea. How about at the time of the HSC many factors such as Physical, emotional,etc affects one's body image. From there you could also link to media articles, peer pressure and other contributing factors as per from the syllabus. That way you are at least eliminating the cliche of thin vs fat stereotypes within the society view (Which I think your teacher is referring to).

Ugh, divorce and racism-- I agree with you on that (if you are not interested, there is no pointing doing a whole research project on them). :D

Perfectionism as you said could work, but would be very hard to get people to survey.

Hopefully this helps! Good luck. :)
Well, I did manage to come up with something, and the pdhpe department at my school loves it - long story short, it's been approved :) I have decided to stay with the perfectionism and unlike everyone doing dry subjects like divorce, I'm actually into this :L

In getting people to survey - perfectionists attract perfectionists, and you just need to look at who is in the top 3 of each subject to find us, haha. I'm also getting non-perfectionists to do surveys to find out their opinions and how they react to their friends who are perfectionists. I don't want to post my statement here as of yet... but I do have to thank you for your encouragement on the matter :D

Kat92

HSC
Well, I did manage to come up with something, and the pdhpe department at my school loves it - long story short, it's been approved :) I have decided to stay with the perfectionism and unlike everyone doing dry subjects like divorce, I'm actually into this :L

In getting people to survey - perfectionists attract perfectionists, and you just need to look at who is in the top 3 of each subject to find us, haha. I'm also getting non-perfectionists to do surveys to find out their opinions and how they react to their friends who are perfectionists. I don't want to post my statement here as of yet... but I do have to thank you for your encouragement on the matter :D
Good on you for sticking with what you believe in!

If you want and if I have some free time post a link to survey monkey or something and I will fill it in (unless you have specified an age range).

laura ashley

HSC
i need help starting my CAFS IRP i have chosen "when blended families break up what happenes to the relationship between the step-parent and step child?", if anyone has chosen this please help me it will be greatly apprEciated :)
i would really appreciate it if someone could send me their IRP just to show me an idea of how to start it out :)
PLEASE

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
i need help starting my CAFS IRP i have chosen "when blended families break up what happenes to the relationship between the step-parent and step child?", if anyone has chosen this please help me it will be greatly apprEciated :)
i would really appreciate it if someone could send me their IRP just to show me an idea of how to start it out :)
PLEASE
I presume you are still doing the plan at the moment so:

1. Subject of research hypothesis
2. Explanation of project aim/goals.
3. Primary and secondary data resources that will be used
4. Which methodologies will be used and why
5. Pilot survey questions.
6. Timeline Proposed actual in a Gantt chart.
7. Ethical Issues related to the IRP to be undertaken.

Also explicit literacy criteria could be taken into account so things like:

*Have you used capital letters and full stops correctly.
* Have you used other types of punctuation where necessary.
* Do your sentences make sense
* Have you used varied and appropriate sentences.
* Have you used paragraphs.

Furthermore make sure you are meeting the expectations for outcomes H4.1 and H4.2 (If you do this, it will ensure you have covered everything that the marker is looking for!)

Also look at the resources section on this site to get an idea. If you are asking about the actual IRP there are examples here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=51072

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)