Help. Is 10 units better than 12? (1 Viewer)

Bobsh

HSC
N/A
Ok I tried this UAI Calculator & ATAR Calculator UAI calc, and It's been giving me retarded results..

I am currently studying
English Standard.
Business St.
Visual Arts
IPT
Ancient History
General Maths.

Thats a total of 12 units. When I use the calc and say I want a 90 uai and leave out having "general maths" the marks needed average 80-90 which is achievable.. But when I add general maths to the calculation and say if I got "83" as the mark my UAI count goes down 5 points?

So does this mean having 10 units is better than 12 as stuffing up in one subject brings your UAI count down.

ALSO, Im in year 11

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
stuffing up a subject just makes it not count

i'm also intrigued by this question.
stats show that around 40% or so people did 12 units and got 99+
but as the uai range went down, the percentage of people who did 12 units went down and the percentage of people who did 10 units went up :confused:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
stuffing up a subject just makes it not count

i'm also intrigued by this question.
stats show that around 40% or so people did 12 units and got 99+
but as the uai range went down, the percentage of people who did 12 units went down and the percentage of people who did 10 units went up :confused:
It's because the "smarter" people are able to/like to do more subjects, whereas the relatively more "lazy and intelectually challenged" people tend to want to do less.

That doesn't mean you can't get 99.95 with 10 units though; it's just a trend.

deviousgeek

The Game.
HSC
I used to do 14 units until I stuffed up chem and decided not to carry it through.

To be honest, I don't really see an issue doing 12 units, unless you have a job or something else and you work hard to ensure you do well in all your 10 units.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's nothing wrong with doing 10, 11, 12 or even (maybe) 13 units. Anymore, and it'd be a little strange. =\

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Statistics show that people who do 12 units peform relatively better than those who do 10.
But then again, I only remember kids getting 99.91 ++ from my school doing only 10 units. Depends on the person. But you have to be a total retard to study HARD for a subject, and fail. Not being personal here. It seems logical though.

Jibran

HSC
I guess I'm doing ten as well

EXT2 Eng
ADV Eng
Maths
Physics
DT

doesn't look to bad for me does it?
:confused:

AnandDNA

HSC
i dont see why a person would be doing 12units or more unless they are really really worried they are going to get shit marks in a sub. You doing 120 hrs more in school alone than required. Plus add 3-4 hrs a week studying or doing assesments for that sub.

But i guess what spammy said about 40% of 99+ students did 12 units speaks for itself

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i dont see why a person would be doing 12units or more unless they are really really worried they are going to get shit marks in a sub. You doing 120 hrs more in school alone than required. Plus add 3-4 hrs a week studying or doing assesments for that sub.

But i guess what spammy said about 40% of 99+ students did 12 units speaks for itself

Yeah but people getting these kinds of marks aren't getting them because of the amount of units they take are they, they are getting them because they work their asses off. I think the fact that these high achievers take an extra subject has little to do with their results.

AnandDNA

HSC
Yeah but people getting these kinds of marks aren't getting them because of the amount of units they take are they, they are getting them because they work their asses off. I think the fact that these high achievers take an extra subject has little to do with their results.
idk but i feel its pretty obvious that had that 99+ person done 10 units he/she would have definitely got a much higher uai as they have atleast 200 hrs in that year to work on their 10 units which will all count towards their uai

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Ok I tried this UAI Calculator & ATAR Calculator UAI calc, and It's been giving me retarded results..

I am currently studying
English Standard.
Business St.
Visual Arts
IPT
Ancient History
General Maths.

Thats a total of 12 units. When I use the calc and say I want a 90 uai and leave out having "general maths" the marks needed average 80-90 which is achievable.. But when I add general maths to the calculation and say if I got "83" as the mark my UAI count goes down 5 points?

So does this mean having 10 units is better than 12 as stuffing up in one subject brings your UAI count down.

ALSO, Im in year 11
Well, in Year 11, sure. Have extra units (as many as you want to, given that you can sorta handle them)

In Year 12, just pick out the best 10 units including English coz it's compulsory. Only if you are not sure if you can do well in a subject or two, keep an extra subject. I would never recommend having 14 units in Year 12 though.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
idk but i feel its pretty obvious that had that 99+ person done 10 units he/she would have definitely got a much higher uai as they have atleast 200 hrs in that year to work on their 10 units which will all count towards their uai
I think most people looking at 99+ are going to be getting those marks regardless of how many subjects they take tbh.

AnandDNA

HSC
I think most people looking at 99+ are going to be getting those marks regardless of how many subjects they take tbh.
What if a student does 16 units. Do you really think they would get almost the same marks for their top 10 units if they had done only 10 units??

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What if a student does 16 units. Do you really think they would get almost the same marks for their top 10 units if they had done only 10 units??
I'm talking within the 10/14 range, very few people take that many subjects. My point is that people who are receiving marks in the 99+ range are the kind of people who will be acing every single one of their subjects due to their work ethic. If they knew they were going to fuck a subject up they would have either dropped it or fixed the problem by the exam period, its extremely uncommon to find someone getting 98+ marks in five of their subjects and then getting say 70's in one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)