Hey Hey It's Saturday Jackson 5 skit is racist? (1 Viewer)

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
THE performers of a "racist" skit on Hey Hey it's Saturday say the "blackface" routine was approved by producers.
The show's second reunion special has been marred by scathing criticism over a Red Faces performance that featured a troupe dressed as the Jackson Five - complete with black face paint.
The act - by the Jackson Jive - left guest judge Harry Connick Jr visibly upset and later prompted host Daryl Somers to issue a formal on-air apology.

But the group say the producers of the reunion special were happy to run the piece, even though it was discussed at length.
Connick Jr gave the troupe a score of zero and said the act wouldn't have gone down well in the United States.

After an on-air apology to him by Somers, Connick Jr said he needed to "speak up as an American".
"If I knew that was going to be part of the show I definitely wouldn't have done it," Connick Jr.
Connick Jr was raised in New Orleans and learned to play alongside African-American jazz musicians.
Jackson Jive members later told the Herald Sun they had flagged potential issues with the performance with producers before the show.
Dr Anand Deva, who played Michael Jackson in the skit, said the act was meant to be a tribute to Michael Jackson.
"It certainly was not meant to be racist in any way at all," Dr Deva said.
"I think he (Connick Jr) is taking it the wrong way."
Dr Diva said the group had tried to find Connick Jr after the show to set him straight and apologise.
"I suspect things are probably a bit different in America in terms of what that (black face) means," he said.
"I understand the history of the black face but certainly it was not construed in that way at all."
Dr Deva said if Hey Hey producers had said the skit may be offensive, he and his friends wouldn't have done it.
"All six of us discussed this at length whether or not we should put this on because we realised it may be controversial," he said.
"We did go to the trouble of checking with the production staff and they seemed to OK it."
Dr Deva said he and his friends came from ethnic backgrounds and were all too aware of racism.
"Two of us come from India and one of us comes from Lebanon so we can't afford to be racist to be honest," he said.
"If we did offend him (Connick Jr) we truly didn't mean to."
Viewers were quick to criticise the skit on Twitter. Comedian Dave Hughes, wrote: "Harry Connick Jr is wishing he didn't agree to be on Hey Hey right now."

source

Apparently painting your face black and dancing to the jackson 5 is racist.

They seemed to skip over the fact one of the actors painted their face white. Isn't that just as racist?

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
this whole thing is stupid what were they going to do paint there face white??

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It was all I saw and I was a bit surprised too - not so much for the racism, but for the fact that his death is still v recent. They probably wouldntve let a Steve Irwin impersonator on etc

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
hey hey its saturday watching bogans and morons dont find racist "skit" (more like car crash) racist

Fenwickinho

HSC
My two cents worth:

Something like this SHOULDN'T be seen as offensive and racist, but unfortunately with everything that has happened throughout history things like this will be seen in that way - due to the fact that certain people in society will always have the intention of slagging other races.

I know they meant no harm, but it would have (obviously) been wise if the "Jackson Jive" didn't perform their skit.

Also, I don't think you can try to start the whole argument that one guy painted his face white therefore that should be considered racist as well - I'm pretty sure he was white himself..

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I don't see how this skit was racist. I mean, the Jackson 5 are black, so actors can't come in as white people if they want to make a reasonable imitation. It's a practical decision.

Perhaps the only thing remotely upsetting is that it can be interpreted as mocking someone who has passed away recently.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Over-reaction much.. For HCJ to claim the moral highground on behalf of the United States on this issue is quite amusing.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
i think the chaser who told kids to make the realistic wish was better than this one and better than the kyle sandman.
the chaser present more fresh from the market material than woolworths (guy standing behind a large video screen talking about how that tomato is soft enough to shove into butthole) or hey hey saturday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)