High Performance Student Plan (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi Tim could I ask what interested you in your degree? And was it what you had expected?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Hi Tim could I ask what interested you in your degree? And was it what you had expected?
In this specific degree or in maths? Well, I just wanted to do maths because I was interested in it, so naturally I chose to do Adv. Maths but if I didn't get in I probably would've just done Science majoring in Maths.
Yeah, it's been what I've expected. Learning lots of cool and new stuff that I never knew existed. I remember in high school, when I told people I would be doing maths, some would say like "What else is there to learn? We've done it all! (4unit)" and I didn't really know what else there was to learn, but now I've been exposed to so many different fields, there's so much I want to learn but not enough time :(
But yeah UNSW maths has been a really good experience so far. Enjoying this degree!

HSC
Uni Grad
In this specific degree or in maths? Well, I just wanted to do maths because I was interested in it, so naturally I chose to do Adv. Maths but if I didn't get in I probably would've just done Science majoring in Maths.
Yeah, it's been what I've expected. Learning lots of cool and new stuff that I never knew existed. I remember in high school, when I told people I would be doing maths, some would say like "What else is there to learn? We've done it all! (4unit)" and I didn't really know what else there was to learn, but now I've been exposed to so many different fields, there's so much I want to learn but not enough time :(
But yeah UNSW maths has been a really good experience so far. Enjoying this degree!
Oh yeah, soz to be off topic, but I'm wondering if you are still doing Chinese as one of your subjects... coz you told me you were doing intermediate chinese A earlier this year.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Oh yeah, soz to be off topic, but I'm wondering if you are still doing Chinese as one of your subjects... coz you told me you were doing intermediate chinese A earlier this year.
ahhh...i was supposed to!! I forgot when I told you that actually. But i went on exchange in semester 1 which ruined those plans, but I did Chinese on exchange and I was gonna do Chinese this semester but it clashed with my subjects...and I heard it was a lot harder than the one I did last year. so yeah.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just stick with the B Engineering/B Science (Maths) program. In the advanced maths program, you have to take SCIF1121, which is a fucking useless subject, and you have to take compulsory honours. Plus you have to take all the higher level courses. It's pretty ironic when the normal degree program has more options than the advanced degree program. =_=
SCIF1121 is not useless. Most of my friends and people I know in my class are because I knew them from there.

Don't ever discount knowing people in your degree. They are lifesavers if you get to know them, and they can help you study - and you can help them in return.

not sure if mathematical reference or...

HSC
Uni Grad
SCIF1121 is not useless. Most of my friends and people I know in my class are because I knew them from there.

Don't ever discount knowing people in your degree. They are lifesavers if you get to know them, and they can help you study - and you can help them in return.
Tbh, there are tonnes of people you can get help from, not only from subjects, but from societies as well.

Content wise, SCIF1121 IS the most useless subject out there. The only real purpose there was to make friends, in which you can do that in every other subject.

But apart from that, I agree with the latter statement.

HSC
Uni Grad
ahhh...i was supposed to!! I forgot when I told you that actually. But i went on exchange in semester 1 which ruined those plans, but I did Chinese on exchange and I was gonna do Chinese this semester but it clashed with my subjects...and I heard it was a lot harder than the one I did last year. so yeah.
FFFFUUUUUUUUU :(

Damn no wonder I couldn't see you around the lecture for ARTS2450. But even then, I doubt you missed too much; Zheng Yi was such a shit lecturer; couldn't explain stuff properly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Tbh, there are tonnes of people you can get help from, not only from subjects, but from societies as well.

Content wise, SCIF1121 IS the most useless subject out there. The only real purpose there was to make friends, in which you can do that in every other subject.

But apart from that, I agree with the latter statement.
Yeah but SCIF forces you to meet people. It's better.

Lot of people will disagree, but I thought it was worth it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
that's true about knowing people from SCIF, you can meet most of the people doing adv. maths. it is harder to meet other people doing adv. maths in maths1141/1241 since lots of them are engineers (most of them) or they might be doing adv.maths/commerce(actuarial), so they'd be in math1151...

But still, its still quite a waste of a subject since we don't actually learn anything. I would have loved to learn more maths in first year or make it somehow useful..
If it was a professional practices course run by the school of maths it'd be a lot better imo.

edit: i only really met those adv. maths people in the maths seminar part of it. that part was "okay". the other part was just weird/strange/crazy/useless however you want to put it. It was like we were back in primary school, literally.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It was nice talking to people in Advanced Science for a change though, they're a different type to maths people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)