Higher CUT-OFFS this year?! (1 Viewer)

fuzzy09

HSC
Apparently most cut-offs this year will be higher than the previous years, just wanted to ask if its true? :bomb:

Spik3balloon

HSC
Cut-offs are determined by the number of places that a university offers, and the caliber of the people applying for that course. Essentially, it's supply and demand. There's no way to tell whether the cut-off will go up or down.

bored of sc

HSC
Cut-offs are determined by the number of places that a university offers, and the caliber of the people applying for that course. Essentially, it's supply and demand. There's no way to tell whether the cut-off will go up or down.
Excellent. Perfect summary.

jennieTalia

HSC
Apparently most cut-offs this year will be higher than the previous years, just wanted to ask if its true? :bomb:

In all years there is this fear. Don't think about it, because that is pointless. There is no way of telling until the cut-offs are released in just under a years time.
Good Luck, and calm down :)

savio23q

Band
HSC
You finish your HSC in 2009, so they don't apply to you.
They only affect the 08ers, so you have nothing to worry about...'til the end of the year at least ;)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
there was a leaked link to the cut-offs in one of the forums, and apparently they were all high, just wanted to know if they really were...

? mine dropped by nearly 4 points

youngminii

Banned
HSC
err isn't UAI a rank
Technically yeah, but that doesn't mean lots of people can get a high UAI.
Ie. the median UAI was ~67, not 50.

@ Deltan: If that were true, then the bright students would be applying for the harder courses, which would mean there's a higher cut-off for the harder subjects (Since it's supply and demand).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Not always. There are many courses which have been "inflated".

jennieTalia

HSC
more brighter HSC students this year i think, hence higher cut-off

Not true. As the HSC is a rank, things get scaled so that it is proportioned well across the state.
If everyone does higher than average in Modern, then the scaling won't be going UP as much. Because they will assume the exam was easier. Or some shiz.

LordPc

HSC
I would say OP judgement is fair. With global crisis I think the media will very heavily shout that unemployment is rising and that people need more skills and higher education levels to get and keep thier jobs

so more HSC students will probably go to uni next year and push the cut offs up a bit more

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
I would say OP judgement is fair. With global crisis I think the media will very heavily shout that unemployment is rising and that people need more skills and higher education levels to get and keep thier jobs

so more HSC students will probably go to uni next year and push the cut offs up a bit more
the economic crisis would largely affect on commerce courses, but yet the cut-off still remains the same, but then i would think it would have the opposite effect of having the cut-off decrease because it isnt as safe as it once was in terms of employment prospect

jennieTalia

HSC
the economic crisis would largely affect on commerce courses, but yet the cut-off still remains the same, but then i would think it would have the opposite effect of having the cut-off decrease because it isnt as safe as it once was in terms of employment prospect
People said this about our year as well, and it probably wasn't the decisive factor...

You also have to remember that some people may see the economic crisis and want to start full-time work.
Gosh, by the time some people come out of Medicine... the economic crisis will probably be over hahah!

KarenCn

HSC
why would the economic crisis affect commerce? its a cyclical thing, ppl know it comes inevitably and goes inevitably

only the fickle and stupid would base thier decision based on the "oh no its recession time look at the bankers and traders they are getting chopped lolz"

lou071

HSC
N/A
it depends on number of uni applicants.\.
for example, when you read uac document on uai cutoff for 2009 first years, the uai for most courses increased and it is coz there were more uni applicants than previous year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)