• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

holding hands :p (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
*yooneek* said:
1) i dont at all see it as irrational... if someone saved your life, and you were told to tell everyone about it, cause they too needed saving...wouldn't you... i know you dont believe in Jesus or anything like that- so naturally it doesnt make sense to you- but thats why i do it... not to earn anything from God, but im not going to shut up about what i know to be truth, that would just be dumb.

2) thank you :)...yes i do believe i've grown in my ability to recognise sarcasm! hooray :p... i may have you to thank for it!
I believe in God. But I belive in Him rationally. I can also look at all the inconsistencies and problems with the bible; how historically most of what happened could not have occurred.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
stazi said:
I believe in God. But I belive in Him rationally. I can also look at all the inconsistencies and problems with the bible; how historically most of what happened could not have occurred.
which bits arent true historically?
and how can you believe in Him rationally- what does that mean?

and no... im not a troll

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Bookie said:
well, moses couldnt technically 'part' the red sea.
well then according to that thinking- the world could not have been created- cause according to the bible that happened at the sound of God's word

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you just want to say 'god did it', then that's fine yooneek... my theory is that god created the universe and then he killed himself because he got bored waiting for some cool shit to happen.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
*yooneek* said:
which bits arent true historically?
and how can you believe in Him rationally- what does that mean?

and no... im not a troll
so you agree that any beliefs in God are actually irrational?

I belive in God rationally, as in believing in a God is good to lead a better life - you go out of your way to do good rather than succumb to evils. However I don't also believe that Jews made a meeting on the Holy Sabbath to condemn Jesus (only one example of many historical inconsistencies, i could go on about how there was no mention of Jesus for many many many years in Historical documentation leading on to the point that his story could have easily been construed, just like many of the myths on www.snopes.com).

Here are some examples of rationality vs irrationality:
Irrationality - no sex before marriage, as God will certainly guide us to the right person and the marriage will last
Rationality - a great percentage of marriages end in divorce. Many marriages only happen because of an emotional change we experience which makes us afraid to be alone, after this hormonal and emotional change finishes we realise often that we're not with the right person. So sex doesn't necessarily happen with the right person in the end.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
*yooneek* said:
well then according to that thinking- the world could not have been created- cause according to the bible that happened at the sound of God's word
yes, and 'rationally' God could not have simply created the world in a small number of days (unless you subscribe to the theory that each day was millions of years, which I don't think you do believe in).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Alot of the 'rational' aspects of the bible I feel are actually 'humanist' and common throughout all religion/philosophy... The rest is irrational crap. As for which bits aren't true historically, there is some story about the pharoh having jewish slaves... there is no evidence of this... there is some story about a great flood... there is no evidence of this.... noahs ark, dragons, magic, people raising from the dead... It's like a really cheezy script for 'passions'.

Pierotte

HSC
Time taken for this thread to turn into a religious discussion:

3 pages.

Now we wait for a muslim to come in and say their god is better

then an anti-islamist to turn up and say all muslims suck

then a passive leftist to preach for peace and how its all the same god

then someone to comment on how religion is war

then someone who quotes wikipedia for about 500 lines

Its the BOS mix!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Pierotte said:
Time taken for this thread to turn into a religious discussion:

3 pages.

Now we wait for a muslim to come in and say their god is better

then an anti-islamist to turn up and say all muslims suck

then a passive leftist to preach for peace and how its all the same god

then someone to comment on how religion is war

then someone who quotes wikipedia for about 500 lines

Its the BOS mix!
lolz just fucking leave then?

Pierotte

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lolz just fucking leave then?
oh how nice of u to make it a question rather than a demand.

But nah i got nothing better to do.

BTW did u end up doing arch at UNSW? i remember reading in a post u were considering it? Im pretty sure it was you anyway. I couldnt say how old the post was though. Prolly very old.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Pierotte said:
oh how nice of u to make it a question rather than a demand.

But nah i got nothing better to do.

BTW did u end up doing arch at UNSW? i remember reading in a post u were considering it? Im pretty sure it was you anyway. I couldnt say how old the post was though. Prolly very old.
Very old. I got in to usyd architecture, but I really don't wanna do that ;/ u might get an offer in the next round lol

Lainee

HSC
stazi said:
Here are some examples of rationality vs irrationality:
Irrationality - no sex before marriage, as God will certainly guide us to the right person and the marriage will last
Rationality - a great percentage of marriages end in divorce. Many marriages only happen because of an emotional change we experience which makes us afraid to be alone, after this hormonal and emotional change finishes we realise often that we're not with the right person. So sex doesn't necessarily happen with the right person in the end.
Irrationality: People protesting against other's rationale for no sex before marriage because they themselves can't control their sexual desires. Irrational because people succumb to sexual urges all the time and some end up regretting it doesn't fulfill any long term emotional needs.

Rationality: To not be hurt, wait until a union sanctioned by God allows you to discover your sexual wants and needs with someone who you completely trust will love you more than they love sex.

;) Said with love.

Last edited:
HSC
We've already established that the bible when it coins the earth made in 7 "days" doesn't actually mean 7 days that we live in. We don't even know if 1 day is 1000 years, the bible I remember had something like in "40 days" and it ended up being 500~ years. Tiana you know this one? something to do with daniels prophecy of jesus's birth

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Casmira said:
We've already established that the bible when it coins the earth made in 7 "days" doesn't actually mean 7 days that we live in. We don't even know if 1 day is 1000 years, the bible I remember had something like in "40 days" and it ended up being 500~ years. Tiana you know this one? something to do with daniels prophecy of jesus's birth
Yea, there are alot of wild confabulations that theists come up with to prove their holy scripture to be 'truth'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)