Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
The reason can be completely stupid (and it can be one which you do not relate or agree with), but the state is obliged to serve the wishes of the people. If everyone in this country said we want to legalise racist hate crime, sorry but it becomes law. Yeah, it may not be morally "right"in your opinion (or mine) but laws are based on the will of the people.
That's good then. If homosexuals truely have gained greater recognition over the years then... :haha:

Or what do you think of this name_taken?

Well seriously now, I think you should meet us in the middle here. How about... only christian homosexuals should be denied the "right" to marry and "adopt" and all non-christians should be given the right to enter in to "civil unions", which would grant them all rights normally vested to a married couple. Though... it would be weird to ask your partner, "Will you 'civil union' me?"

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Anyone in society has the right to oppose legislature, and for whatever reason they want. Government serves the people, not the other way around.

The reason can be completely stupid (and it can be one which you do not relate or agree with), but the state is obliged to serve the wishes of the people. If everyone in this country said we want to legalise racist hate crime, sorry but it becomes law. Yeah, it may not be morally "right"in your opinion (or mine) but laws are based on the will of the people.
All the current polling shows majority support for gay marriage. The status quo does not reflect the will of the people, but rather the government pandering to religious lobbyists.

The survey commissioned by lobby group Australian Marriage Equality showed support for gay marriage rose to 60 per cent, up from 57 per cent two years ago, following changes last year that removed some forms of discrimination against gay couples but did not allow marriage.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/rise-in-support-for-gay-marriage-20090616-ce8k.html

Before you try to criticize the methodology of this poll (any attempt to do so it would be based on a complete misunderstanding of the science of statistics), I would ask you to find a contrary poll. This is far from the only poll ever taken on this subject.

Nobody has yet presented a credible case (without any religious or anti-religious points) as to why society should go out of its way to accept same sex marriage and promote homosexuality.
If you're so strongly in favour of democracy being representative of the will of the people, you should be outraged by legislation on gay marriage currently acting contrary to that will. The majority do accept same sex marriage, they are being forced to 'go out of their way' to accept a minority opposition.

Name_Taken

HSC
If you're so strongly in favour of democracy being representative of the will of the people, you should be outraged by legislation on gay marriage currently acting contrary to that will. The majority do accept same sex marriage, they are being forced to 'go out of their way' to accept a minority opposition.
Lol, I'm in favour of decmocracy, and if the majority of the population choose to agree on something and it becomes law, I'm going to respect it, whether I personally disagree with it or not.

Hurry up and legislate it then. I'm still going to oppose it, but I'm not going to deny the population the right to vote, simply to advance my own views.

I am more annoyed about the complete destruction of marriage however, and it's not merely the fault of the gay population, they just want in.

Marriage to me is a religious ceremony, a holy sacrament. I have no objection to you or anyone else finding peace in Christ, in fact I think thats great.

But whats so important about matrimony? I don't see many athiests and homosexuals lining up to the confession booth.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Marriage wasn't invented by the church, and in contemporary times has come to signify any union between two (heterosexual) people. Secular people are not really edging their way into your tradition, because they make no claim that their relationship is endorsed by god.

It's a concept entirely divorced from it's religious meaning for those who are not married by a church. You've really got no grounds to claim that tradition, with symbolic ceremonies honouring partnering for life existing in pre-christian and non-christian cultures globally.

Name_Taken

HSC
Marriage wasn't invented by the church, and in contemporary times has come to signify any union between two (heterosexual) people. Secular people are not really edging their way into your tradition, because they make no claim that their relationship is endorsed by god.

It's a concept entirely divorced from it's religious meaning for those who are not married by a church. You've really got no grounds to claim that tradition, with symbolic ceremonies honouring partnering for life existing in pre-christian and non-christian cultures globally.
Why get married in a Church then, the house of God, as it were, if you don't require His endoresement of your commitment to your partner?

Marriage, to the state is no more than signing a form with you partner. Why is though, that so many people insist in going through with the (deeply religiously rooted) ceremony?

Like, I conceed such an event merits a party, but it is possible to celebrate something without having to rely on said fundamentally religious ceremony, isn't it? (Would simply seem a logical conclusion, as most people don't even agree with the views of the organisation which would otherwise be conducting the ceremony).

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Why get married in a Church then, the house of God, as it were, if you don't require His endoresement of your commitment to your partner?

Marriage, to the state is no more than signing a form with you partner. Why is though, that so many people insist in going through with the (deeply religiously rooted) ceremony?

Like, I conceed such an event merits a party, but it is possible to celebrate something without having to rely on said fundamentally religious ceremony, isn't it? (Would simply seem a logical conclusion, as most people don't even agree with the views of the organisation which would otherwise be conducting the ceremony).
Well if an atheist is getting married in a church, it's probably just because it's a nice, cheap, public building with good parking :)

If you're going to get married somewhere, churches have the logistics and organisation.

I don't see how you can say it's fundamentally religious, and particularly fundamentally christian. What part of a secular marriage ties it to christianity? That's not it's origin, and the couple committing to each other aren't claiming any association with that aspect of the ceremony.

Name_Taken

HSC
Well if an atheist is getting married in a church, it's probably just because it's a nice, cheap, public building with good parking :)

If you're going to get married somewhere, churches have the logistics and organisation.

I don't see how you can say it's fundamentally religious, and particularly fundamentally christian. What part of a secular marriage ties it to christianity? That's not it's origin, and the couple committing to each other aren't claiming any association with that aspect of the ceremony.
Could go RSL or book out a conference hall, lol there's plenty of alternative areas to hold such a funtion.

Lol, then what point is the ceremony itself, if you're just using it as a means of celebration (like good on you for celebrating and all) but marriage is a ceremony which does hold religious meaning for the Christian, and like if you don't do it for the meaning...

And as you say, "marriage" is hardly exclusively Christian, other religions have their own ceremonies. Why is it that among unbelievers, the most common preference is to follow that of the (broadly speaking) Christian ceremony (obv. different demoninations have varying traditions and all etc.).

If the Christian faith is as meaningless to you as the Jewish faith or Islamic faith, why not a Synagogue or a Mosque?

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Woah wait hold on. I'm pretty sure gays aren't demanding that they be allowed to get married in churches (i.e. that churches have to accomodate them). But they are asking for the right to be married, which for many purposes is different (tax, next of kin, benefits, rah rah) and superior to a civil union (which they also aren't allowed in Australia?).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Could go RSL or book out a conference hall, lol there's plenty of alternative areas to hold such a funtion.

Lol, then what point is the ceremony itself, if you're just using it as a means of celebration (like good on you for celebrating and all) but marriage is a ceremony which does hold religious meaning for the Christian, and like if you don't do it for the meaning...

And as you say, "marriage" is hardly exclusively Christian, other religions have their own ceremonies. Why is it that among unbelievers, the most common preference is to follow that of the (broadly speaking) Christian ceremony (obv. different demoninations have varying traditions and all etc.).

If the Christian faith is as meaningless to you as the Jewish faith or Islamic faith, why not a Synagogue or a Mosque?
Personally, I wouldn't get married in a church lol.

Maybe at some function centre or something :D

Name_Taken

HSC
Lol, but bear in mind, this is more of a general compaint directed towards athiest in general, like I'm not crying about how they are irrepairably laying waste to the Churches traditions, and like if they insist in getting married, I'm not going to stop them, just it seems so pointless if you're an unbeliever.

Like as a Christian, I wouldn't take part in a Muslim marriage ceremony, so I don't see why athiests seem so keen on taking part in this particular Christian ceremony. IDK it just irks me I suppose <shrug>.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You are so "lol" mate. :haha:

Well seriously now, I think you should meet us in the middle here. How about... only christian homosexuals should be denied the "right" to marry and "adopt" and all non-christians should be given the right to enter in to "civil unions", which would grant them all rights normally vested to a married couple. Though... it would be weird to ask your partner, "Will you 'civil union' me?"
church has no pr5oblem with this

yay toenails is finally happy

bio_nut

HSC
I would get married to symbolise a (hopefully!) long term committment to my partner. Some financial and social benefits too.

Not because of any faith. Would also rather be married outdoors.

This guy is struggling to understand why gays would want his kind of marriage without realising most people DON'T feel the same way about marriage.

Name_Taken

HSC
I would get married to symbolise a (hopefully!) long term committment to my partner. Some financial and social benefits too.

Not because of any faith. Would also rather be married outdoors.

This guy is struggling to understand why gays would want his kind of marriage without realising most people DON'T feel the same way about marriage.
No I appreciate why gays want to get married, but these goals (celebrating commitment and love etc.) can be acheived and even expressed openly without marriage itself.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The commitment between two people, and the public celebration of this, is all it means for those people.

Because it's cultural, it's just the done thing, it makes Auntie Maureen happy. People do the thing that their parents, and their parents parents did, just because. It's a comfortable and familiar environment to be in. A mosque is too full of brown people.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Oi dick breath you still havnt answered the transsexual question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)