• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

homosexuals (1 Viewer)

qawe

HSC
N/A
Certainly not, but the distinction is that Christians are not directly bound by these rules as the Jews were. They were written specifically for the Jews. It is important to understand the Old Testament because it provides context amongst other things.

I don't want the hijack the thread, so we should probably move the discussion over to the other one.

(Also your rep is mine with the numbers reversed - just noticed that)
where's that

Keep in mind that Matthew 5:17 states: Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

While the words of the old testament were written for the Jews, I don't think they can't be dismissed as irrelevant for Christians.
"19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[d]from things strangled, and from blood." Acts 15:19-20

I made up the numbers. Clearly.

Thanks.

Pretty sure Paul of Tarsus wrote both and he was supposed to be increasing the role of women in the church and shit like that. So, yeah…
Also, it's in the letters of Paul, so it's a direct teaching in Christianity, especially Catholicism, as they have readings from his letters during mass. So, qawe doesn't know anything about his religion and yet codemns homosexuals' actions because of it.
i quoted previously from paul

qawe

HSC
N/A
know to be wrong? You're a fucking highschool student, you think you know with unequivocal certainty the correct interpretation of Christs scriptures?
do you?

i know the interpretation as this is the interpretation of the Church. to me "know" and "believe" are synonymous (take this in context with next line)

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Last edited:

qawe

HSC
N/A
No dude you're not doing it right.

The bible says we all sin "let he who is without sin cast the first stone etc". You're not supposed to judge people. Just worry about yourself.
firstly, islam stones ppl for their sins, christianity does not (i understand that stoning above does not purely encompass physical stoning)

agreed, but are you telling me to contradict the bible and say that homosexuality is OK

never heard this argument being used when ppl believe that eg massacres/persecutions in other countries are wrong

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
did you ever find it strange that the "correct" interpretation of scripture (i.e. of what christians should do) has more or less always changed to reflect the society it was being practiced in

or failing that, that the correct interpretation is the one that requires you to do the least inconvenient stuff and just telepathically love jesus before you die

qawe

HSC
N/A
did you ever find it strange that the "correct" interpretation of scripture (i.e. of what christians should do) has more or less always changed to reflect the society it was being practiced in

or failing that, that the correct interpretation is the one that requires you to do the least inconvenient stuff and just telepathically love jesus before you die
example of both?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Telepathically love jesus. HA!

qawe

HSC
N/A
Telepathically love jesus. HA!
i asked for examples

however, no-one knows when they're going to die. and for me, repentance and confession is/has always been part of my (Church's) interpretation... not the most convenient

Last edited:
HSC
wow, there are so many fascists in this thread. Stop telling people how to interpret their holy books. Ok.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
wow, there are so many fascists in this thread. Stop telling people how to interpret their holy books. Ok.
lolwhut? There is no subjective "interpretation". It's what's written there. It was what the original authors(s) (including 'god' itself (was gonna say himself but then i realised lol)) intended.

Are you honestly saying that doctrines which are meant to be absolute/all knowledgeble (regardless of context ect) are just up to interpretation?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i quoted previously from paul
Didn't read anything I wrote. Clearly.

firstly, islam stones ppl for their sins, christianity does not (i understand that stoning above does not purely encompass physical stoning)

agreed, but are you telling me to contradict the bible and say that homosexuality is OK

never heard this argument being used when ppl believe that eg massacres/persecutions in other countries are wrong
Unnecessary paragraph.

No, you can believe it is wrong but as a Christian you should love everyone and give them the freedom that god has given them to do what they want with their freewill, except against the principle teachings from Christ and God (Decalogue, beatitudes, etc.).

Because we aren't Christian and aren't bound by some 2000 year old book telling us to love everyone, so we can hate whoever we want.
Also, that's breaking a commandment so you cunts can have a shit about that. Also, it's hurting other people which isn't showing love to neighbour, which is against Jesus' commandment of love.

i asked for examples

however, no-one knows when they're going to die. and for me, repentance and confession is/has always been part of my (Church's) interpretation... not the most convenient
Talk to some old guy about your wrong-doings. Seems pretty easy.

stop telling people to not tell people how to interpret their holy books.

qawe

HSC
N/A
why do christians allow witches to live now but didn't a few hundred years ago?
killing them was wrong then and now
but you need to clarify who was actually doing the killing; you can't stop the govt using capital punishment just as the govt seemingly now cant be stopped from legalising gay marriage

Talk to some old guy about your wrong-doings. Seems pretty easy.
its not "telepathically love jesus before you die"

that was my point

Just let people be.. seriously. It doesn't affect you .
then why speak out against any issue you are opposed to... just because it doesnt affect you eg corruption in African governments

because animals dont have a spirit/soul

Because we aren't Christian and aren't bound by some 2000 year old book telling us to love everyone, so we can hate whoever we want.
Also, that's breaking a commandment so you cunts can have a shit about that. Also, it's hurting other people which isn't showing love to neighbour, which is against Jesus' commandment of love.
i was replying to azure.

lolwhut? There is no subjective "interpretation". It's what's written there. It was what the original authors(s) (including 'god' itself (was gonna say himself but then i realised lol)) intended.

Are you honestly saying that doctrines which are meant to be absolute/all knowledgeble (regardless of context ect) are just up to interpretation?
thats what i mean by interpretation

Women speak in the church reading the letters of the faithful, yet, 1 Corinthians 42 states "it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
So your entire religion is wrong and contradictory.
Just saying.
not in my church (dont ask for further details). ie church = mass, as males have the role of the priesthood; woman have always otherwise had an active life in the church: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal 3:28), that is, all are united in the same basic dignity, although each with specific functions (cf. I Cor 12:27:30).
and
the figure of Prisca or Priscilla, Aquila's wife, who surprisingly is mentioned before her husband in two cases (cf. Acts 18:18; Rom 16:3): In any case, both are explicitly described by Paul as his sun-ergoús, "collaborators" (Rom 16:3).
and many other examples

Last edited:

juliastegner

HSC
then why speak out against any issue you are opposed to... just because it doesnt affect you eg corruption in African governments
Because corruption in African governments such as Zimbabwe have actually caused mass murder and the major breaching of human rights etc.. what have gay people done except love each other :(

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
thats what i mean by interpretation
What they intend isn't up to interpretation. Why would they write it there if they didn't want everyone to follow it for eternity ect? Come. On.

This is how i understand your logic: "We have the answers to everything in life"

*someone points out a logical fallacy*

"ALL OF THIS WOZ UP IN INTEREPRETATION!!11!!111"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)