• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

homosexuals (2 Viewers)

AgentGreeny

HSC
Well, yeah... I meant that the homosexuals were also killed... but I suppose what you said was perhaps more correct.

The laws of a society reflect the society itself.
Indeed the laws do reflect the society itself.

I would like to live in a society were we don't take into account the views of people who want to prevent someone else from doing something that doesn't affect themselves. It's called personal liberty, and there is not one legitimate reason, not even based on the words of a mouldy book from 2000 years ago, that trumps personal liberty. It's their choice and you people need to get over it.

Gay people deserve the same rights as you and I.

AgentGreeny

HSC
this is quoting from the OT Law, which was put in place because of man's weakness, but which Jesus fulfilled, thus it is no longer required

Galatians 3:23–25

23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
In Matthew 5:18 Jesus said "Till heaven and earth pass, not one jot or one tittle shall pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled."

So if you're saying OT law is no longer required because Jesus came and changed everything and he didn't care about that stuff you're dead wrong. I say we go stone some unruly children and men who lieth with other men ASAP to make Jesus pleased.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
In Matthew 5:18 Jesus said "Till heaven and earth pass, not one jot or one tittle shall pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled."

So if you're saying OT law is no longer required because Jesus came and changed everything and he didn't care about that stuff you're dead wrong. I say we go stone some unruly children and men who lieth with other men ASAP to make Jesus pleased.
Wasn't it 'fulfilled' when he died?

(just remembering from Christian Living class at school)

qawe

HSC
N/A

Wasn't it 'fulfilled' when he died?

(just remembering from Christian Living class at school)
Shadowdude, that's correct. The interpretation is quite obvious when you consider the previous verse (Matthew 5:17) "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."

Indeed the laws do reflect the society itself.

I would like to live in a society were we don't take into account the views of people who want to prevent someone else from doing something that doesn't affect themselves. It's called personal liberty, and there is not one legitimate reason, not even based on the words of a mouldy book from 2000 years ago, that trumps personal liberty. It's their choice and you people need to get over it.

Gay people deserve the same rights as you and I.
already been dealt with.

is marriage really a "right"?

Last edited:

Dispari

HSC
How do you know what God thinks?
Are you God yourself?
You must take every single word of the Koran both literally and metaphorically.

إن شاء الله
By the same token sir, are you God? Do you do know what God thinks, feels, his opinions and actual view, not his view as it is seen through the holy bible and been alter and seen through the eyes of mere humans. Christianity is a faith if anything, a belief system, God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit accept all. Who are you, who is anyone to say that God is against homosexuality, when there is not one single translation or view of the bible that can be proven correct.

RANK 1

HSC
By the same token sir, are you God? Do you do know what God thinks, feels, his opinions and actual view, not his view as it is seen through the holy bible and been alter and seen through the eyes of mere humans. Christianity is a faith if anything, a belief system, God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit accept all. Who are you, who is anyone to say that God is against homosexuality, when there is not one single translation or view of the bible that can be proven correct.
i think the question u should be asking urself is, 'who is anyone to say that God is real, when there is not one single translation or view of the bible that can be proven correct.'

qawe

HSC
N/A
firstly, ur talking about the bible when the person u are disputing with is clearly muslim

in regard to ur arguments (take each bold section in order):
the whole point of the bible is to know God's opinion, otherwise, what's the point of the bible
you missed: based on consensus at church councils (whole church, and synods of respective churches), both guided by the holy spirit
this is a matter of faith, not proof (not saying there are not strong arguments for it)

AgentGreeny

HSC
Shadowdude, that's correct. The interpretation is quite obvious when you consider the previous verse (Matthew 5:17) "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."

already been dealt with.

is marriage really a "right"?
It's a right that something like 90% of all Australians seem to enjoy.

"I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" - Matthew 10:34
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" - Luke 22:36"

Wow this Jesus guy sure sounds relevant in 21st century Australian society :awesome:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
yes, that is what God demanded in the Law, to kill a man/woman who slept with someone of the same sex

if you read this passage, not simply the part you quoted, you will find He is criticising the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, they criticised ppl for failing to keep the letter of the law, while they themselves transgressed both the letter and the spirit of the law

my point in regard to interpretation is not "explaining away" certain facts, but to take things in context (as above), but to also have a definitive answer to fall back on when meaning is ambiguous
eg of the latter (one I've posted before in this thread): Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[d]from things strangled, and from blood. Acts 15:19-20

Now, does "I judge" mean that this is simply an opinion of James, or is he (in his capacity of presiding over this council) making the final decision
interpretation: he is making the final decision

this is *roughly* what I mean about interpretation

i can understand your issue with "moderates" in certain religions, claiming to follow their religion, but not putting it fully into practice (or just saying they don't take it literally, to prevent a backlash from society)
Okay i can acknowledge your 'ambiguous cases' (such as the one you gave about James) but i'd hardly know anyone who'd believe that the quote i gave was up to interpretation. If we were talking about any other text i'm sure you'd agree with me.

HSC
It's funny that gays criticise religion when gays are the most religous themselves. They believe so dogmatically in the state that they feel the need for some bureaucrat to sign a shitty piece of paper cut down from a tree that they probably tied themselves to. Fcking idiots. If you want to get married, just fucking do it. Again, who is stopping you? DO you have equal rights in terms of state welfare? Yes you do. Quit complaining.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
It's funny that gays criticise religion when gays are the most religous themselves. They believe so dogmatically in the state that they feel the need for some bureaucrat to sign a shitty piece of paper cut down from a tree that they probably tied themselves to. Fcking idiots. If you want to get married, just fucking do it. Again, who is stopping you? DO you have equal rights in terms of state welfare? Yes you do. Quit complaining.
lolwhut?

Just curious, are you gonna 'sign a shitty piece of paper' someday? If so, stop hating.

If that was satire excuse me plz m8. (pretty shit at telling it on the net)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Dear Mr Abbott,

I am asking that the Liberal Party not to allow a conscience vote on gay marriage before an election, but to vote as a block against gay marriage at this point in time. Gay marriage would result in a fundamental and radical change in our society. Gay marriage would:

Erode the family unit, which is fundamental to a healthy society and children. Gay relationships are radically different from heterosexual ones in many ways.
Once the door has been opened to gay marriage, there is no reason to stop other immoral behaviour being made legal, like paedophilia and polygamy.
Churches would be forced (either through pressure or eventually through the law) to perform gay marriages regardless of their convictions.

All Australians should be offered the chance to have a direct say in this important issue. The best way to do this would be through a referendum. The other way would be let the public know before an election that all parties (that are willing to do this) will be having a conscience vote on this issue. This way the public can ask their local representative what their stance on gay marriage is before they cast their vote for him or her.

If the Liberal party allowed a conscience vote on gay marriage before the next election, and the bill got through, voter backlash against the Liberal party for helping gay marriages to become legal would be substantial, as conservative voters would feel betrayed by you and your party.

Please let me know what your plans are on this important issue.

juliastegner

HSC
Dear Mr Abbott,

I am asking that the Liberal Party not to allow a conscience vote on gay marriage before an election, but to vote as a block against gay marriage at this point in time. Gay marriage would result in a fundamental and radical change in our society. Gay marriage would:

Erode the family unit, which is fundamental to a healthy society and children. Gay relationships are radically different from heterosexual ones in many ways.
Once the door has been opened to gay marriage, there is no reason to stop other immoral behaviour being made legal, like paedophilia and polygamy.
Churches would be forced (either through pressure or eventually through the law) to perform gay marriages regardless of their convictions.

All Australians should be offered the chance to have a direct say in this important issue. The best way to do this would be through a referendum. The other way would be let the public know before an election that all parties (that are willing to do this) will be having a conscience vote on this issue. This way the public can ask their local representative what their stance on gay marriage is before they cast their vote for him or her.

If the Liberal party allowed a conscience vote on gay marriage before the next election, and the bill got through, voter backlash against the Liberal party for helping gay marriages to become legal would be substantial, as conservative voters would feel betrayed by you and your party.

Please let me know what your plans are on this important issue.
wth why would you group pedophilia/other illegal immoral activities with GAY MARRIAGE?!
Gay marriage is between two people that love each other, they aren't abusing anyone , they're not mass murdering or even hurting anyone for that matter! T_T;

qawe

HSC
N/A
Okay i can acknowledge your 'ambiguous cases' (such as the one you gave about James) but i'd hardly know anyone who'd believe that the quote i gave was up to interpretation. If we were talking about any other text i'm sure you'd agree with me.
you always look at the context (for every text anyone looks at): God speaking to Moses (I think), commanding these things as a Law for the people of Israel. Thus it's not and could not have been up for interpretation (in the sort of way you disagree with) with the children of Israel. The mistake you''ve made is assume that it's directly relevant to us just because it's in the Bible. You've ignored the central doctrine of Christianity, which centres around Jesus, and what his death and resurrection meant for God's people.

edit: with "any other text" people dont quote out of context, all ive done is argue based on the context

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)