How accurate are SAM/UMAX? (1 Viewer)

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
ok i hav a really dumb question: do we get an sms 2morrow of our atars or is access only through students online/phone call?
AFAIK it's neither. Access should be through the UAC website using the PIN they gave you and your application number.

Spik3balloon

HSC
I thought that in the pamphlet we got from BOS the ATARs trend at the top upwards? Not down?

Can someone whose probably read the pamphlet more carefully than I clarify whether say a predicted high 99s would actually go down (slightly) under ATAR?

That and the differing aggregates confuses me. I'm inclined to believe SAM because the high aggregates of Einstein sound fishy.
I guess the aggregates would be based on which year's Table A3/how they did the bell-curve distribution to fill in the gaps.

The top ATARS actually get pushed down, because of the 100->99.95 compression, until about 99.35 or something.

Edit: The ATAR conversion table it all its glory.
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/ATAR-Conversion-Table.pdf

Last edited:

wendybird

HSC
The top ATARS actually get pushed down, because of the 100->99.95 compression, until about 99.35 or something.
Ah. That explains it. Thank you!

InterNut

HSC
Someone please tell me you're meant to enter 1 unit subjects in the Matrix one out of 100? ajshdkjash

Abbiesaurus

HSC
My ATAR is 3 points higher then my UAI with the matrix calculator...anyone else seeing this much difference?

rkeikei

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering is everyone getting lower in SAM and higher in UMAX/Matrix because SAM is still a UAI whilst UMAX is atar/uai? I hope they are accurate. Einstein won't work for me, i can't download it. Anyone else have this problem?

murphyad

HSC
I was just wondering is everyone getting lower in SAM and higher in UMAX/Matrix because SAM is still a UAI whilst UMAX is atar/uai?
SAM: 98.55 (UAI)

Matrix: 98.70

Einstein: 98.75 (98.65 UAI)

So from what others are posting there doesn't seem to be a relationship between the calculator and what ATAR you get (higher/lower).

Last edited:

Nuclear

HSC
Ok, what?

Einstein Estimator says 68.55 while SAM & UMAX says around about 55 ? o_O

HSC
N/A
UMAX better be severely wrong ==

if not... goodbye uni == my two band5's will have gone to waste GRR:evilfire:

Nuendo

HSC
You guys are talking about the accuracy of SAM and UMAX relative to each other. I would like to know how accurate they are relative the the ATARs we will be getting tomorrow morning.

In other words, are there people from last year's cohort that have posted up their estimated UAIs (using both SAM and UMAX, 2007) and compared them to their actual UAIs?

JB10

HSC
SAM estimated 79.50 UAI
Matrix estimated 79.90 UAI
Einstein estimated 80.50 UAI

anom1ly

HSC
SAM is giving me 94.65 (i converted from UAI to ATAR)
UMAX is giving me 95.10
there is quite a difference

apparently, the higher up you get, the more accurate they are aswell.

edwarrior

HSC
When putting our HSC marks into UMAX, do we put the given HSC mark or the actual mark, eg 89.5 instead of 90. Ive got a few marks that are rounded up, and was wandering how UAC calculate your final ATAR.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)