How Do I Study Well? (1 Viewer)

zenaa

HSC
So I've been confused... I know that I'm supposed to study everyday, but I don't understand how.
For the past week and a half I've just been making notes based on the syllabus for my subjects and briefly understanding
concepts, but I haven't been memorising anything. Should I start memorizing everything on a day to day basis? or do I start memorizing
my notes when I get a notification of an upcoming exam.
I'm doing physics, bio, chem, 2U Maths, Adv English, PDHPE...

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Dylanamali

HSC
The first and for most thing is to identify your goal and means of achieving that goal..
e.g. map out a mark that you would like to achieve in Biology and identify means of going about that.

1. It all starts at school.. which means you MUST solidify a solid internal ranking that will be submitted to BOS at the end of the year. In saying that, it doesn't matter what kind of marks you are getting, as long as they are at the upper echelon of your biology cohort - this is especially true for schools with poor ranks. In my case, I went to a school ranked ~280 and it was extremely rare for anyone to get band 6's in courses.. so for me if I did not receive an internal ranking of 1st, I knew that my biology goal of around 94/95 would not be achievable.
So it is essential to work hard throughout the entire year, and not go into it with the mentality that you can fix it all up in the end/HSC exams.

2. BOS notes.. In terms of notes/textbooks/content, I was extremely LAZY. With that said, I always came into the belief during the HSC that it was about how smart you studied rather than how hard you studied. I never had an exercise book during class, I would bring my textbook about once a week, and I would chat to my mate throughout the entire class and would only every now and then write what was being placed on the board on a scrunched up piece of scrap paper that I would usually never look at again.
By looking at my attitude in school, it looks preety bad haha.. but the truth is, that I would have my notes set up that I had downloaded from BOS and edited myself using my textbook on-hand, and even though I wouldn't study them until about 2 weeks prior to the exam.. when I did study them, I studied them very effectively and in a very timely manner and that worked for me very well. I am indeed a crammer .
But in saying all this.. find what works for you.. maybe it's writing your own notes, maybe its vocalising everything, maybe its pretending to teach a class.. whatever works for you is the best thing. For me it was vocalising my notes and teaching people. For you it could be something else, whatever it is, find out what it is and utilise it to its maximum potential.

3. Studyying... I studied about 2 weeks prior to every exam during my HSC year.. I was definitely a major crammer but it worked for me, because I would cram to a point where I knew my notes like the back of my hand and could recall almost everything in there. But in terms of how to study.. specifically for biology, I would recommend hitting your notes HARD. And what I mean by that is, to make sure you completely understand all the content and all the concepts. Biology is a more content driven course in comparison to your Chemistry.. for chemistry I'd recommend hitting past papers ASAP, but for biology which tests more content rather than conceptual ideas and calculations, I'd definitely recommend knowing all your content before hitting past papers. If I was to give a general guideline, I'd say in a 2 week period of study, I'd do 10 days of pure content driven study.. followed by 4 days of past papers. The main use of past papers in Biology is just to understand what kind of questions are usually asked and how to structure your answers.. whenever you do past papers, it is ESSENTIAL to understand where each of your individual marks comes from, and to note them down for each dot point.. by doing that, when you come into the exam you can break down a question immediately into the points that will get you each mark.

In saying that, I'd definitely recommend doing Multiple choice questions ASAP and also doing past paper questions after you finish each module at school. I'd also recommend accelerating through the course if you can, either by yourself or with the aid of a tutor. It's not neccessary.. and it's not something that I did, but if I could go back in time, I would have loved to have down it, as it would have just freed up more time to study on other subjects.

qwerty44

HSC
Well the idea of writing notes is that you are filling up any gaps in your knowledge, learning ahead or revising. As you write notes, don't move on until you really understand the concepts, and that way they will stick in your head. Once you have finished your notes, you could maybe go over them everyday a week or two before the exam? It really depends on you but I think the main thing is making sure you understand what your noting.

enoilgam

HSC
So I've been confused... I know that I'm supposed to study everyday, but I don't understand how.
For the past week and a half I've just been making notes based on the syllabus for my subjects and briefly understanding
concepts, but I haven't been memorising anything. Should I start memorizing everything on a day to day basis? or do I start memorizing
my notes when I get a notification of an upcoming exam.
I'm doing physics, bio, chem, 2U Maths, Adv English, PDHPE...

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Study is about finding what works for you. There are many different study strategies and their effectiveness is really dependant on your learning style and abilities. For instance, many people do study notes throughout the year and find this to be effective. For me, I found it a lot more effective to write my notes close to the exams, as I found that the knowledge was far more fresh in my mind. Whilst that strategy worked well for me, it might not work as well for other people. Use this year to try different techniques and strategies to see what works and what doesnt, then apply them for year 12.

zenaa

HSC
Well the idea of writing notes is that you are filling up any gaps in your knowledge, learning ahead or revising. As you write notes, don't move on until you really understand the concepts, and that way they will stick in your head. Once you have finished your notes, you could maybe go over them everyday a week or two before the exam? It really depends on you but I think the main thing is making sure you understand what your noting.
Yeah that's what I've been doing, but I was worried that it wasn't enough :p

jackl25

HSC
There are no subjects wherein past papers are more important than in Maths and English.

Maths:
Familiarise yourself with the relative difficulties of each question; if its not completely obvious by now, you should not spend equal amounts of time per question. Save the actual HSC papers for the last three or four months of the year prior to your final examination, and just smash independent, CSSA papers until then - you will NEVER run out of these, they date back to time immemorial.
Rote learn every formula from Year 11 Prelim onwards - 100% of Prelim is tested, so don't skimp it.

With English, actually read the syllabus - questions have literally been lifted straight from that document. Give plenty of essays, creatives to teachers, and start doing it now. Prepare for the maximum number of related texts NOW (as opposed to making it up on the day - and so many people do), and with set texts, ala Module B, know the entirety of the text. I also remember a lot of students in my cohort stressing about perfecting the creative - remember, the creative is only worth 15/105, keep things in perspective.

I didn't study your other subjects, so all the best.

nazfiz

HSC
On the topic of Biology notes, I would recommend Ahmad Shah Idil's notes as a basis for your own notes. I don't do biology but I heard they were legendary.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
On the topic of Biology notes, I would recommend Ahmad Shah Idil's notes as a basis for your own notes. I don't do biology but I heard they were legendary.
Didn't he get 99.95?

PROTIP: Studying with music or in a room with a computer is generally a bad idea.

Lina3

HSC
Didn't he get 99.95?

PROTIP: Studying with music or in a room with a computer is generally a bad idea.
Classical Music is alright though. Personally it helps me if I study with Baroque music playing (i.e Bach, Scarlatti and the such).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)