How do you study for an english creative? (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Title says it all. Mainly because creatives are quite hard to prepare for

ml125

HSC
I have one core document for my creative piece. This is the one I go to for any major edits, like minor changes in plot or specific detail. I write my creative out under exam conditions to a specific question. Afterwards I will quickly type it up and compare to core document - edit and refine using anything I might have naturally changed when adapting such as expressions etc. that would make my piece better. Repeat.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I have one core document for my creative piece. This is the one I go to for any major edits, like minor changes in plot or specific detail. I write my creative out under exam conditions to a specific question. Afterwards I will quickly type it up and compare to core document - edit and refine using anything I might have naturally changed when adapting such as expressions etc. that would make my piece better. Repeat.
LOL but isn't the creative question more than likely not be a question related to what you've practiced?

Would you just adapt one of your creatives to the stimulus?

Say you write about astronauts in space discovering a massive rock but your stimulus is a wave coming into you, how would you adapt it on the spot?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
LOL but isn't the creative question more than likely not be a question related to what you've practiced?

Say you write about astronauts in space discovering a massive rock but your stimulus is a wave coming into you, how would you adapt it on the spot?
I believe you are generally allowed to interpret things metaphorically.

ml125

HSC

The limits of the question lie within the rubric, so as long as you do enough practice you should be able to form a creative piece that encompasses all the possible things you could be asked. With how I study, I aim to efficiently increase the quality of my responses + develop an ability to adapt my creative to various stimuli etc.

With something like this, as InteGrand stated, you would have to interpret the stimulus metaphorically. The idea of a wave could be used as an epiphany - the character being overwhelmed by their discovery, or something along the lines of this.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The limits of the question lie within the rubric, so as long as you do enough practice you should be able to form a creative piece that encompasses all the possible things you could be asked. With how I study, I aim to efficiently increase the quality of my responses + develop an ability to adapt my creative to various stimuli etc.

With something like this, as InteGrand stated, you would have to interpret the stimulus metaphorically. The idea of a wave could be used as an epiphany - the character being overwhelmed by their discovery, or something along the lines of this.
TBH I don't feel practice is enough bc in a creative, the direction you head in is not really linear in that sense like an essay

What other interpretations of a wave is there with discovery with story about an astronaut discovering a rock in space

ml125

HSC
TBH I don't feel practice is enough bc in a creative, the direction you head in is not really linear in that sense like an essay

What other interpretations of a wave is there with discovery with story about an astronaut discovering a rock in space
The wave could be an obstacle, so if you were to approach the event as a planned discovery you could talk about the struggle to achieve this objective - so the astronaut having to actively try to find something. It could also be interpreted as I said earlier, the character being overwhelmed by it, however looking more so at the ramifications of the discovery - there could be something significant about this rock that they may feel the need to hide out of fear or that they personally connect with. You could potentially use this as a trigger for a flashback of a past experience - to include a 'rediscovery.'

There are definitely more ways you could interpret this, but this is all I can think of on top of my head lol. It honestly depends on the nature of your piece and what you want to show, so you can try to morph the stimulus to portray whatever you feel are the most important parts of it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

The thing is the basic story shouldn't even be about an astronaut discovering a rock in space-->that sort of plot is very hard to be relatable by the ordinary teacher who probably don't even know astronaut as an actual occupation very well -->which means to write a realistic story of that sort, you have to be really good at research and a pinch of imagination too. The basis of any good creative, GENERALLY, should be on daily themes like friendship, family, cultural identity that sort of thing-->with those relatable stories, it will be much much easier to adapt to any stimulus. In short, the more peculiar your story to start with, the more difficult it will be to adapt to a range of other contexts and for the teacher to be immersed into your story.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Usually r we allowed to base our creative from another story (i.e. used the idea of another story)?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I would say to write one really good story - don't even make it answer a question, just have it incorporate some themes that are derived from the discovery syllabus.

Then try to adapt it to various questions and stimuli from past exams/trial papers - make sure you respect the integrity of the story you have already written. Make additions, change paragraphs, maybe even change tense.

My personal tip is to keep certain details of your story undisclosed, so that if you need to you can fill them in using the stimulus later. :)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I would say to write one really good story - don't even make it answer a question, just have it incorporate some themes that are derived from the discovery syllabus.

Then try to adapt it to various questions and stimuli from past exams/trial papers - make sure you respect the integrity of the story you have already written. Make additions, change paragraphs, maybe even change tense.

My personal tip is to keep certain details of your story undisclosed, so that if you need to you can fill them in using the stimulus later. :)
ONE??? That would mean that you have to have one story which fits the whole rubric, perfectly

What would an example of a creative be which fits the whole rubric perfectly?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Usually r we allowed to base our creative from another story (i.e. used the idea of another story)?
I'd strongly recommend to not do that. Derivative works are a complex legal blah blah and that's not something you want to risk in the HSC. It's really not too hard to make up a 800-1000 word story.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'd strongly recommend to not do that. Derivative works are a complex legal blah blah and that's not something you want to risk in the HSC. It's really not too hard to make up a 800-1000 word story.
I have no creativity. If we were allowed to adopt an idea already used, I'd probably do that

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
ONE??? That would mean that you have to have one story which fits the whole rubric, perfectly

What would an example of a creative be which fits the whole rubric perfectly?
I've done something similar - you don't need to get ALL the concepts of discovery, just one or two, and be able to adapt them.

If you have a story about a child running away from home and finding his "tree house" sort of place, then you can change the wording of the story from something "exciting and unexpected" to something he's been planning on doing for a long time. The main skill you need for creatives is the ability to adapt your writing.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I've done something similar - you don't need to get ALL the concepts of discovery, just one or two, and be able to adapt them.

If you have a story about a child running away from home and finding his "tree house" sort of place, then you can change the wording of the story from something "exciting and unexpected" to something he's been planning on doing for a long time. The main skill you need for creatives is the ability to adapt your writing.
Huh?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
How much of it though?
As much as you feel is necessary such that your story sufficiently answers the questions :p In half yearlies I needed to change the entire motive behind my story and my character's super objective, in the trial I didn't need to change anything.

Tim_Monash

HSC
I think the key to building this skill is to do so through practise plans, rather than practise essays. That way you can address a greater volume of questions within the same study time as it would take to write one practise essay. Obviously, writing practise essays are essential, however they should be complemented with a lot of practise plans.

And by practise plans, I mean detailed practise plans. This means methodically stepping out the way your response will progress in dot-point format. I think the key focus of this is to define the question in a way that allows you to relate it to your essay. I also think that the more creative your definition/interpretation of the prompt is, the more creative your piece will be overall.

A very basic example of this would be if your "pre-prepared" response is on an astronaut and the focus of the prompt was love, you should define the prompt liberally. You could interpret "love" as something that is not exclusively felt from human to human; it could also extend to love for a particular feeling, object or experience. For instance, with an astronaut, the love of the unknown or the love of adventure. If you consistently evoke themes of love in this manner, you should be able to use most of your pre-prepared response as a skeleton for your answer.

Personally, this is the skill that I would recommend practising the most.

-----
Tim

ATAR- 99.20 (VCE)
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)