How does one create a discovery generic essay? (1 Viewer)

teridax

HSC
N/A
I struggle a lot with discovery, namely because it's a new AoS and it's no longer belonging. As a result, there are limited resources on discovery so I don't know how to construct a generic essay based off the rubric? What sort of broad ideas could I use to adapt?

It would be nice if others had any suggestions.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Its maths really x=belonging let x=discovery discovery=belonging...

sharoooooo

HSC
Pretty much cover all aspects of the rubric.
how do you cover everything in a creative and make it subtle enough?

because we can't be like "Bob was confronted by the newfound knowledge of his adopted sister"

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC

because we can't be like "Bob was confronted by the newfound knowledge of his adopted sister"
I see no fault with this statement... well, at least you didn't say discovery...

Flop21

HSC

Show, don't tell.

matchalolz

HSC
I use the 4 paragraph structure for my essays (only ever written one discovery essay in my lyf though mwhahaha :haha:), but first two paragraphs = same idea. Shove in as many rubric points into the overriding thesis covering this idea. Some rubric points logically lead to one another, e.g. some describe the triggers, a few of them describe the process, some of them describe consequences, so naturally I categorise the rubric points, and come up with an equation

e.g. rubric point x + rubric point y => rubric point z
but ofc it's more complicated than this so more realistically:
rubric point x + rubric point y => rubric point z + (rubric point a => rubric point b)

soz if you don't get me (why am i apologising, everyone's different?). It's just, english is so broad but logical in a way, which is why I like only having two overriding ideas (can explore them in substantially more depth). Repeat the process for idea 2, creating an equation (complex-ish hopefully to maximise coverage of the rubric while making the marker wet and showing off your sophistication). You should now have most, if not all the rubric covered. Remember this is only for two ideas, you could even do it for 3 ideas and mix and match on the day of the exam.

But if you're a basic bitch like me and don't invest too much time into english, then the ideas you come up with are going to be pretty broad and generalised, so don't worry about it not fitting the question. Just make sure you have like a few sentences or so with your own unique insight. The beauty with english is you are never truly fucked because you can make up anything (yes, even quotes if you have half a brain and desperate)

WARNING: this is how I crammed for discovery trials and seeing as I don't have my results yet I can't guarantee anything hur hur hur just trying to help

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I am going to present a slightly harsher comment-but that is not only to address this thread, but the excuses many students uses to justify their less than expected performance in discovery-the fact is, OP, you are one of at least 50,000 HSC students who are in the exact same shoes as you, having limited access to discovery resources because it is a new area of study-but that doesn't mean you can't do well in it. Just because it isn't belonging doesn't mean you can't transfer similar ideas across. Everything is just what you make it out of it. You can feel condemned you are the first year doing this area of study, and it's not fair, but that won't change the fact you need to do discovery for the HSC-so you might do well to change your perspective and be a bit more passionate about English-it will improve your marks.

Basically, if you can't change the fate you have to do discovery, you can only change your perspective on it. Original ideas can come from a lack of resources-it can distinguish between those who put the effort in and those who rely on study guides to get by.

To make a generic essay, generally create 4-5 main thesis sentence that covers the entire discovery rubric and relate your prescribed and related text to each of these points, probably writing a paragraph each-but the main thing to do well in the actual exam is to PLAN PLAN PLAN before you write-you must be answering the actual question using your information, there's little point in regurgitating a generic essay with just memorisation. The exact thesis points you use will depend on the texts you select. Have a look through my discovery rubric for some ideas: http://community.boredofstudies.org...28/discover-discovery-–-guide-99-student.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)