• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many people get a UAI of 99+? (1 Viewer)

Petey9

HSC
N/A
SO.
How many people will get a UAI of 99+
and...
How well do i need to do in order to get such marks in a 70ish ranked school?

Thanks

HSC
I heard top 900..

just an approximation
but i rememer someone saying that on another thread..

as for results..
i think you needed to get band 6 in all your subjects
as a rule of thumb?

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
You do not necessarily need all band 6s. I've known people to have had 7units of band 6, and they got around 99.55. Another person had 9 units of band 6, and they got 99.3, and somebody who did get the Premier's Award that I knew got a 98.9.

ah.sport

HSC
N/A
the top 1% of the state.
so however many people sit and you can work it out from there
Your uai is your ranking, not a mark

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
the top 1% of the state.
I believe it's the top 1.6 % approx .:confused:

Yes, guys your UAI is a ranking.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
UAI of 99.00 equates to top 1.6% of your HSC cohort and top 1% of the people you completed Year 10 with.

Schoey93

HSC
SO.
How many people will get a UAI of 99+
and...
How well do i need to do in order to get such marks in a 70ish ranked school?

Thanks
Your school rank does not have a huge impact on your UAI. Your school can be ranked last, and you still get 99+ (correct me if I'm wrong), but in this situation it would be advantageous to have "high scaling" subjects, such at Adv. English, MX1, MX2, Chem, Phys, Eco and so on.

My school was ranked 190 this year (Marian Catholic College) and the highest UAI in the school was 98. (A few points higher that 98, in fact). And Jennie Talia (she's on this forum) as you can see from her profile and sig, got 96.2 with English Advanced, English Extension 1, Ancient History, Drama, Modern History and Studies of Religon 1. No maths even!

To get 99+ in a school ranked 70, you really need to achieve AT LEAST 6 units of Band 6's and 4 units of VERY HIGH Band 5's, i.e. 87-89. You also need to like all your subjects and have a passion for them.

For example (with the subjects I am thinking of choosing):

Aligned HSC Marks
English Advanced - 95/100
English Extension 1 - 46/50
General Mathematics - 97/100 ... would this equate to 1st in the state? OR if I did Mathematics Advanced - 92/100
Chemistry - 88
Italian Continuers - 100 :D (I aim to come 1st in the state)
Modern History - 89

Studies of Religion 1 - 47

^These marks should get you 99+ (probably about 99.25 UAI).

Good luck, or as they say in Italy, buona fortuna!

James

Edit: One of these subjects wouldn't count, of course, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Petey9

HSC
N/A
the top 1% of the state.
you must have misunderstood me, i didn't say what mark i need to get , i said how well i need to do in a 70th ranked school and i know its a rank, i know its the top 1%ish, i want to know how many people are included in that 1%, you should really read the question before you answer...

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
you must have misunderstood me, i didn't say what mark i need to get , i said how well i need to do in a 70th ranked school and i know its a rank, i know its the top 1%ish, i want to know how many people are included in that 1%, you should really read the question before you answer...
No need to get snappy, you should be thankful anyone even answered you. What this person said was pretty much right. The UAI is a rank, you have to be in the top 1.6% of the HSC cohort to get a UAI of 99.00+. You obviously understand this much. But you're basically asking us to answer something that there are no concrete figures for yet, given that nobody actually knows how many people will be in the HSC cohort for your year group. But just say there are around 60,000 people in your HSC cohort. About 900-1000 people will get a 99+ UAI.

As for "how well" you need to do in a 70th ranked school, it really depends. Just because previous years ranked 70th doesn't mean your year group will. (Granted, most of the schools with the top rankings usually exhibit similar trends year in year out, but it's still hypothetical.) All of that aside, for a 99+ UAI, I have no doubt you'll need to be at the top end of most of your classes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)