How many textbook/study guide/past paper book do u need for each subject? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
as my subject is listed below, how many textbook/study guide/past paper book do u need for each of my subjects? since someone gave me some giftcard for bookstore and i would like to buy some resources for hsc.

thx for any comment in advanced. :D:D

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Only buy whats required, no point buying useless junk, and dont buy the same stuff as you'll get from school either.

twistedrebel

HSC
buy past papers, dont buy textbooks because you would most likely get from school.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Haha no, I meant in terms of the gift card :p
well..i really want to buy some useful one so that i wont waste any of it..

any suggestion for my subject:
english advanced
4u maths
3u japanese
physics
chemistry

yeah_boy

HSC
The excel advanced english book has proven to be RUBBISH to me.. and useless.

K

Kozak92

The study guides on the texts seem okay. I forget who writes them but they're pretty ace.

Chem and Physics - Dot point?

muzeikchun852

HSC
i went and saw the advanced english as well, but there is two version: there is a old layout with green and there is one with the new yellow and blue layout..i checked out the old loyout and it wasnt not really good, it doesnt even talk about the inner journey that the text conveyyyy..

The study guides on the texts seem okay. I forget who writes them but they're pretty ace.

Chem and Physics - Dot point?
did u have a detail look on the english excel? because i only flipped through it.

and i heard dot point is great for study and i think the school is buying them for us next year, as they do the same this year (40 bucks for one subject).

K

Kozak92

did u have a detail look on the english excel? because i only flipped through it.

and i heard dot point is great for study and i think the school is buying them for us next year, as they do the same this year (40 bucks for one subject).
Excel just feels far too brief for English. I'd prefer to buy study guides on the specific texts.

Yeah Dot Point is heaps great for study, also the "Excel revise in a month for the HSC" aren't so bad either.

twistedrebel

HSC
well..i really want to buy some useful one so that i wont waste any of it..

any suggestion for my subject:
english advanced
4u maths
3u japanese
physics
chemistry
english-none
4u-successone/phoenix
phyiscs/chem successone/dot point

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Only buy whats required, no point buying useless junk, and dont buy the same stuff as you'll get from school either.
+1

Dot point is rubbish, get the MC version if you must. Past paper books - success one/phoenix/Odlum + Garner/Creelman are great for practise.

For learning, excel is decent i suppose but text books are good i suppose but they are very, very brief. Text books are good but have a lot of useless junk so my suggestion is to read/skim through the syllabus before reading though a good text book (Jacaranda for physics, Conquering Chem for chem) so you actually know what info you're looking for.

But if you have a decent teacher just make notes following the syllabus, buy past papers and don't waste money on buying study guides :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
+1

Dot point is rubbish, get the MC version if you must. Past paper books - success one/phoenix/Odlum + Garner/Creelman are great for practise.

For learning, excel is decent i suppose but text books are good i suppose but they are very, very brief. Text books are good but have a lot of useless junk so my suggestion is to read/skim through the syllabus before reading though a good text book (Jacaranda for physics, Conquering Chem for chem) so you actually know what info you're looking for.

But if you have a decent teacher just make notes following the syllabus, buy past papers and don't waste money on buying study guides :)
the point is i have useless teacher:
economics - my teacher only reads from the textbook (dixon) :angry:
chemistry - her teaching is good, but the workbook she gave is too brief and thats the only resource we are working from :angry:
physics - lots of resources, but the teaching is not good. :angry:

in comparsion, i think eco teacher is the worst and im going to drop it as soon as possible! :angry::angry:

K

Kozak92

+1

Why bother buying past paper books when they are freely available?

mioumiou

HSC
+1

Great advice!!!
For chem, I think Conquering Chem and Jacaranda is great if you use them together. Conquering is better at explaining and Jacaranda is better at prac!

But is Dot Point really that bad? I thought It's okay!

yups

HSC
past papers definitely.. study guides tend to be similar to the textbooks you get at school. but if your school textbooks are crap, then get study guides to help you.. but a question to others.. where can you buy past papers from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)