How many textbook/study guide/past paper book do u need for each subject? (1 Viewer)

luvtads

HSC
for chem i use
-dotpoint
-maquarie revision guide
-conquering chem
-jacaranda chem 2
-Success one
-surfing chem

I use quite a few books for my subjs specially the sciences.

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
Yep. My local bookstores are crap too (nothing but a few Excel guides). If you want a real selection you have to make a trip into the city or buy online. Search "emporiumbooks.com.au" for "HSC past papers" and you can buy the Success One papers as well as a few others.

x_cp3

HSC
serious . i've never come across them before =\ .. is it just a whole book full of past papers?
uhh yeah its this huge book that says like past papers on chem for e.g. from years 1990-2008 or something like that

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
No point buying anything for english - you'll come up with better responses if you analyse the texts yourself and form your own understanding of them.
Eco - if your teacher uses Dixon, then I suggest buying Riley, that's what we use in school. And past paper books would probably be good.(DON'T DROP ECO! You can teach yourself! I had a really crap teacher in Year 11 but I ended up doing really well just by reading through the textbooks myself and looking at practice papers).
Chem - what everyone else said.

muzeikchun852

HSC
No point buying anything for english - you'll come up with better responses if you analyse the texts yourself and form your own understanding of them.
Eco - if your teacher uses Dixon, then I suggest buying Riley, that's what we use in school. And past paper books would probably be good.(DON'T DROP ECO! You can teach yourself! I had a really crap teacher in Year 11 but I ended up doing really well just by reading through the textbooks myself and looking at practice papers).
is not that my teacher is crap. i have to put so much effort into this subject to able to do well. thats just takes too much time. i will still think about since its only term one. there will still be a chance that i will change my mind later.

for chem i use
-dotpoint
-maquarie revision guide
-conquering chem
-jacaranda chem 2
-Success one
-surfing chem

how many study guid do u need for chem? :p is that even necessary?

twistedrebel

HSC
eco past papers book are hard to get. Half the shit becomes outdated every year. If you come across one let me know. My teacher uses dixon, but i m going to buy reliey closer to trials(2nd edition).

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
English - I LOVE the introduction in penguin classics + to a lesser extent wordworth editions. It's good to get an academic's/non-HSC perspective on your texts. I have an Excel AOS guide and I've barely touched it.

Physics- There's plenty of ebooks (jacaranda, excel, in focus) floating around on BOS...

Eco - Collect Past trial/HSC papers

Maths - Fitzpatrick 2U/3U + past papers for 3U. Multiple textbooks + past papers for 4U.

luvtads

HSC
My teacher does not teach, thats why i need all the info i can get, and i only have one study guide :p

mioumiou

HSC
for chem i use
-dotpoint
-maquarie revision guide
-conquering chem
-jacaranda chem 2
-Success one
-surfing chem

For Chem, I use Dot Pint, Conquering Chem, jacaranda and Surfing Chem.

Maths - Fitzpatrick 2U/3U + past papers for 3U. Multiple textbooks + past papers for 4U.
For maths, 2U/3U get Fitz or Cambridge. If you're looking for examination styles questions, check out Coroneos. once you know and fully understand the concepts, move on and do the past papers. :)

how many study guid do u need for chem? is that even necessary?
it's not that necessary to have THAT many study guides, in fact, it can be useless if you have to much. So make sure that you get SOME (like 2 or three different resources for each of your subject) plus past papers. :uhhuh:

mioumiou

HSC
Btw, how many textbooks do you need for 4U maths? Which one did you used and recommend?

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
eco past papers book are hard to get. Half the shit becomes outdated every year. If you come across one let me know. My teacher uses dixon, but i m going to buy reliey closer to trials(2nd edition).
I have one from quite a while back - a friend lent it to me and and she got it from a friend of hers so yeah, I don't actually know what the original source was. I know they get outdated, but I use them just to see the kind of structure that's required; then fill everything in with recent stats/events from Riley/articles.

irvine

HSC
Btw, how many textbooks do you need for 4U maths? Which one did you used and recommend?
My MAIN textbooks are Cambridge, Terry Lee & Fitzpatrick.
We use Cambridge at school so we do homework from that.
I supplement weak areas with Terry Lee and Fitz and sheets the teacher gives us for Harder X1.

Terry Lee is a sad joke - difficult, but it seems to me personally it's a tool for rote learning, Cambridge is concise, comprehensive and gets the message across quicker.

mioumiou

HSC
My MAIN textbooks are Cambridge, Terry Lee & Fitzpatrick.
We use Cambridge at school so we do homework from that.
I supplement weak areas with Terry Lee and Fitz and sheets the teacher gives us for Harder X1.

Terry Lee is a sad joke - difficult, but it seems to me personally it's a tool for rote learning, Cambridge is concise, comprehensive and gets the message across quicker.
Thanks!! But if you've got like 3 textbooks, there's loads of workloads.....
Or are you just choosing the BESt topic from one of your textbook (supplements ones)?

irvine

HSC
Thanks!! But if you've got like 3 textbooks, there's loads of workloads.....
Or are you just choosing the BESt topic from one of your textbook (supplements ones)?
I just do my 'weaker' ones- wish I had the time to do all of them but there's only so many hours in a day :p

mioumiou

HSC
I just do my 'weaker' ones- wish I had the time to do all of them but there's only so many hours in a day :p
LOL, I wish there can be more!!! :lol:

BTW,
How many hours of studying each day is preferred? (in general)
And houw many hours of studying is required for Ext. 2 maths?

irvine

HSC
LOL, I wish there can be more!!! :lol:

BTW,
How many hours of studying each day is preferred? (in general)
And houw many hours of studying is required for Ext. 2 maths?

One hour a day/an exercise a day (whichever is less) for mx2 is enough for me. As for study, I really only study two weeks before exams, otherwise ~3 hours homework a day.

mioumiou

HSC
One hour a day/an exercise a day (whichever is less) for mx2 is enough for me. As for study, I really only study two weeks before exams, otherwise ~3 hours homework a day.
haha, nice!!
anyways... good luck with your studies!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)