How much do you spend on tutoring? (1 Viewer)

RishBonjour

HSC
how much all together? for all subjects you do.
just wondering:)

HSC
N/A
last term: $1600 ($1000 maths, $300 chem, $300 english)
this term: $700 ($300 maths, $400 chem, *still looking for english tutor*)

yeah, i'm getting a new tutor :p

RishBonjour

HSC

woah only $300 for english/chem
i spend around $1200 for maths and english
but thinking of taking physics too, so i was wondering if i spend too much :/

Alkanes

HSC
Top of my head 1.2k for maths alone.

RishBonjour

HSC
Top of my head 1.2k for maths alone.
just for maths? you make me feel better that i spend $600 ish :L

I need a new english tutor :(

does anyone have any suggestions?
i go dr.du for english. but they are known for maths, i just go there because i settled into the english class :L
but this term i have to be in a mixed class with new teacher , so might try it for a while and then drop it later

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Wow - saved heaps in maths this term. For your case so far, was $1000 better than $300 maths?

You are saving heaps for maths this term. In your case so far, do you feel the $1000 was better than your $300 maths? May be the new one is 1-on-1 and perhaps this suits you better.

HSC
Uni Grad
I spend around $75 a week for maths, $60 for english, so $135 a week, and x10 gives $1,350 a term..
pretty good :p

lil_pembo

HSC
$20 per half hour. He does chem and bio one on one at my house. Usually goes for 90 minutes. so approx $600 a term for 2 subjects... pretty good i reckon :)

HSC
N/A
You are saving heaps for maths this term. In your case so far, do you feel the $1000 was better than your $300 maths? May be the new one is 1-on-1 and perhaps this suits you better.
My 1k tutor was a class of about 30 students, and she gave heaps of work. She made us do a chapter of fitz, maths in focus, coroneos, jones and couchman, cambridge, past HSC questions and past papers every week. I simply couldn't keep up with her work as well as my school work, so I got a new tutor. This one is 1-on-1 and she gives much less work :)
She explains it well, but i'm worried she isn't covering everything as extensively as my other tutor. Like, with my other tutor, I knew we covered everything. My new tutor uses maths in focus to teach me :/
I've heard from so many people that maths in focus is a bad textbook as the questions aren't easy or challenging or something along those lines :/
She's a high school teacher and a HSC marker apparently. She said she's been marking for like 10 years or something, so based on that, i'm assuming she knows her stuff...

I guess i'll have to see how my grades are when school starts again. But I guess less homework could mean more time for me to self study, right? :confused:
I spend around $75 a week for maths, $60 for english, so $135 a week, and x10 gives $1,350 a term..
pretty good :p
where are you going for english?

interesting

HSC
N/A
But I guess less homework could mean more time for me to self study, right? :confused:
Lol but during that extra time for self study, you're going to want to do more hw anyway for practice, unless that amount of hw she gives allows you to understand everything.

HSC
Uni Grad
My 1k tutor was a class of about 30 students, and she gave heaps of work. She made us do a chapter of fitz, maths in focus, coroneos, jones and couchman, cambridge, past HSC questions and past papers every week. I simply couldn't keep up with her work as well as my school work, so I got a new tutor. This one is 1-on-1 and she gives much less work :)
She explains it well, but i'm worried she isn't covering everything as extensively as my other tutor. Like, with my other tutor, I knew we covered everything. My new tutor uses maths in focus to teach me :/
I've heard from so many people that maths in focus is a bad textbook as the questions aren't easy or challenging or something along those lines :/
She's a high school teacher and a HSC marker apparently. She said she's been marking for like 10 years or something, so based on that, i'm assuming she knows her stuff...

I guess i'll have to see how my grades are when school starts again. But I guess less homework could mean more time for me to self study, right? :confused:

yeah less homework can mean more self study time, so make the best use of it :)
and judging from your tutor, I guess she's the sort of person who prefers to assess how well a student knows something, as opposed to giving so many challenges to screw students over. ie She probably has more experience in assessing what the student knows.

and I have a private tutor for english

Zeroes

HSC
$55 per week for 2.5 hours ext 2 maths, so 550 a term? Pretty good, I think. :)

suling

HSC
I spent $0 on tutoring...except $100 for two sessions of maths in year 10. Too expensive for me. :)

Zeroes

HSC
^I wish I spent $0 on tutoring, tbh I don't think I need it. :\
(and a lot of people who get it probably don't)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)