How much scaling in MATH1151? (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
Obviously the quizes and online stuff won't be scaled, but is the final exam scaled? And if so by how much?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Don't think of it as scaling, think of it as moderating to standards.

But I'd envision there's moderating.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Obviously the quizes and online stuff won't be scaled, but is the final exam scaled? And if so by how much?
Bobbo1 mate where abouts do you sit? We should meet up some time

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't think of the final mark at the end of the session as being the total of all you scored on all the assessments. When they add all those up it puts all the students in order. Then they decide who deserves to pass and the bottom passing student gets 50 as a final mark. If they decide someone deserves an HD then they get at least 85. They say that they try to compare across the different subjects so more students pass the harder courses 1141 and 1151 than 1131. In a typical 2nd year maths course the handout says something like
Your (preliminary) final mark out of 100 will be a scaled version of the raw mark formed by
combining the tests and exam. Scaling into final grades will be performed in conjunction with
the Higher course, MATH2111 to reflect the greater difficulty of that course. We will award few
(if any) High Distinctions and few Distinctions in MATH2011...
I take that to mean that your final mark could be lower than your raw mark, but they always seem to make the final exam hard enough that the marks look like they have been scaled up!

I don't think that too many people fail 1151, but the competition for HDs at the top end is pretty high.

Bobbo1

HSC
Ok fair enough I guess, but I mainly just wanted to know what kind of raw marks I need to be aiming for to get a D or a HD. For e.g. in 4U I knew a raw mark of about 80 would get me a b6, so that way I'd know how much to study for...

HSC
N/A
That is really hard to say as you don't get back the mark for the final exam. When you do the past exams you usually find that some of them are much harder than others, but I guess that the scaling takes care of that.
From people I know, you probably want to be averaging 90% on your preexam stuff if you want a D, and 95% if you want a HD. (They say if you are averaging less that 70% you'll struggle to pass the course.) I'd say that if you've done OK during session and can do half the final paper perfectly then you'll pass easily (CR or better) but I have no idea what you'd need for a HD.
Anyone who did 1151 got any experiences to report??

maheenreza

HSC
Uni Grad
That is really hard to say as you don't get back the mark for the final exam. When you do the past exams you usually find that some of them are much harder than others, but I guess that the scaling takes care of that.
From people I know, you probably want to be averaging 90% on your preexam stuff if you want a D, and 95% if you want a HD. (They say if you are averaging less that 70% you'll struggle to pass the course.) I'd say that if you've done OK during session and can do half the final paper perfectly then you'll pass easily (CR or better) but I have no idea what you'd need for a HD.
Anyone who did 1151 got any experiences to report??
I have 15 out of 35 in class.lol.
I am so failing.
:'(

halapenyo

HSC
Halapenyo mate, what are you on ? Im 33/36 aiming for HD
im 30.5/36. but bcuz i fell behind at the latter stages of the course with probability im just aiming for a credit.

HSC
Uni Grad
around 32/36. I wanna aim for 85 in this course, and get all of Q1-3 done and correct, with most of Q4 done and correct too.

halapenyo

HSC
haha love the two completely different answers.

im not really cramming though. its more like i have to learn normal distributions and multivariate calculus and then just revision and doing questions.

maheenreza

HSC
Uni Grad
I have to learn the whole course in 6 days.And also finish past papers and I was out the whole of last night and today since everyone else's exams ended.
Thank God I bailed on going out to tonight due to the weather.
Any ideas on how to go about studying though?
Like I missed the first 3 weeks,so I don't even have the lecture notes with the solutions for calculus?
Do any of you have it?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Not sure if they still do it or not, although there used to be a book of past papers and worked solutions for the course. If they still have it focus on that

W

Wonka1

It doesn't matter. You won't be able to tell.

1. University is dodgy and they don't give back final exams.

2. The School of Maths at UNSW is retarded. Have you seen a UNSW maths final exam? They don't tell you how many marks each question is worth. I have heard from a few people that the marks each question is worth is not determined prior to the exam. Apparently, if a lot of people get a particular part of a question correct, it is given a high mark value. Also, if only a few people get a particular part correct, it is given a relatively low mark value (given the difficulty of the question). It seems very counterintuitive. You would think that something that was percieved to be harder should be worth more marks, but I guess they want to keep everyone's mark fairly equal. The school of maths must just be absolutely retarded.

They don't even tell you the mark breakdown so you can know how to manage your time. If you have 5 minutes left and can only do one question, how are you going to know which one to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, umm... I had a lecturer who went through the 2011 past paper for MATH2111 and he told us mark values for each question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)