How much time? (1 Viewer)

ram14

HSC
Hey,
Just wanted to know how many hours of study you guys puttin in these holidays on average per day or plannin to?
And If some old HSCers could give me some advice on what they did over summer...Any tips or anything?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Just some study + simple revision + homework for me. The number of hours varies I guess. I try to put in atleast an hour each day.

Affinity

HSC
Holidays -> meet ALL your social commitments and play, when you get bored/have nothing to do, study.

when schools starts again, I say around 30 hours a week at home on average, considering you usually have 2 hours before dinner and 3 hours after dinner and television, it isn't that bad(For those who sleeps atound 11-12). If you really want to push your potential then bump that up to 40

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Honestly the Christmas\summer holidays the assessment work I did was all completed in the last two weeks before school. :) But I probably wouldn't suggest that for most students unless you thrive on pressure and impending deadlines. As suggested the amount of time you spend studying is dependant on the person as each person studies differently. Unless you have major project to do or exams straight after you return honestly I wouldn't be spending more then 1-2 hours a day probably only working 1 or 2 days a week would be fine - just enjoy the holidays.

Sofstar

HSC
I dont time my studies, i just write out what i need to finish/do and when im done i stop. I haven't done anything yet. But mostly class work we've been set and notes. All play and no work has a nice ring to it at the moment though.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
i did nothing until august and got 96.40

i personally dont know how to study

everyones different.

although, i did do dot point notes for space in physics over these holidays.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I spent the whole holiday working at Woolies. I did make sure I have at least read through some notes and do some maths Qs before the day pass.

haque

HSC
Personally I don't think it's the quantity of study ur looking for but the quality-if u do subjects u enjoy then u can learn them more effectively(usually) without toommuch time or effort e.g for phys,chem or modern i didn't make any study notes or take notes in class-reading the sheets and the textbook was sufficient(we gotm lots of sheets tho). Maths u should do at least for half the week cos that requires the most practice. i studied(this isn't a comparison here, just what worked for me) about 1 hour each weeknight, however on the weekends, i would spend about 8 hours in total-however i did not study with an ipod or any other distraction. and when u study make sure u understand it-don't just try and memorise dot points-i didn't know what was in the syllabus, i just read the textbook which i knew would deal with the syllabus and read through it cos it made sense. So study effectively. If i had the choice i would have studied more, but i lived far from my school and would reach home around 5pm-plus with working out and other activities my time would often run out.
Mind u, in my olympiad preparations and extension work in yr 10, i had covered a lot of topics in the hsc(mainly for maths and chem)

Last edited:

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
aiming for 2 hours a day when 2007 starts. right now, party butt off. :)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i honestly did nothing over these holidays. you dont really need too

Chew me:)

HSC
im planning to do a few hours a day... a bit of homework, notes and assessments every day... but I need to clean my room... and I need quiet.. so i might go to the library for notes and homework:)

I still need to make a plan.. and HOPEFULLY follow it... not that i ever do.. lolz

Chew me:)

HSC
I DONT WANT TO STUDYYYYYYY

SO LAZY!!

but i have to or ill regret it!

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Trey true, Chew Me! I'm gonna relax a bit for a while then try to catch up in 4 units of maths, covers all the dot points in physics that the teacher hasn't b4 we start the next topic...how much time is this gonna take? dunno coz I'm going to try and pace myself and I'll see how I go.

501n2u

HSC
I haven't done much studying these holidays. But I have written out a list of things and when I should finish them by. So far I'm behind by a day lols ><. Need to finish them soon as well since I have the mind & morality - philosophy summer school at usyd throughout January rarararara.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
I spent my summer holidays catching up on the term of work I missed :p

Seriously, unless you're behind in something or really having trouble with a subject, then you don't need to do anything but relax these holidays!!

It's the last stress free break you can have before you get into the assessments, half yearlies etc again, so take advantage of it. There's no point in burning yourself out now :)

ichiraku

HSC
Honestly, there really isn't all that mch you can do now apart from moving ahead (which was what I did). Even then, I was still just doing something like 3 hrs at most a day, and I still managed to get everything done.

Work hard, yep but ffs don't over do it. I know a lot fo people who spent all their holidays studying and just couldn't be bothered opening their books once school began. It's a lot better to go back to school refreshed and ready to go rather than bogged down cause you did nothing but pour over your books during the holidays.

w00dy.

HSC
i plan on doing some homework/assessments/study/summaries etc etc within the last two weeks or so of the holidays.

unless i get bored or what not before than thats when im starting it.

before we went on holidays one of my teachers said. 'take the first four weeks or so off, just to relax and destress of school than work your way back into the homework/study whatever in the last two weeks.' in a way its meant to help us ease our way back into it. and overall relieve a little bit of the 'shock' that will come with the workload that they are going to smash us with first day back.

that and help us get a head start on preparing for the half yearly exams which are the last few weeks of the term next year for me :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)