How much work did you put in for HSC (1 Viewer)

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
^point of that story isn't that you shouldn't study

it's that everyone's required study pattern is different

it's something you have to work out for yourself
Well I continuously made notes in year 12 so that every dot point was covered IN DETAIL for IPT and SDD. (I also bought the new IPT excel book to cover the new syllabus). And I asked my teachers questions if i wasn't sure of a dot point. (I made year 11 notes, but only did very brief notes leading up to my prelim exam)

For English I gave my teacher heaps of practice essays to mark and did a few past papers.

For maths I did plenty of past papers with friends and asked my teacher for help.

SoR paid attention in class and made notes in year 12.

for I.T I didn't make any notes for this subject, because I already had two sets of notes from IPT and SDD and I knew the content. I just practised heaps of past papers in class. (I had a really good teacher who always pushed us to do more and more practice responses). I must say if you want to do well in this subject, learn your OHS! in my exam there was the last question, an 8 marker all on OHS. I studied it heaps, even on the way to school that day, I was walking and reading my notes over and over again, until all the dates were stuck in my head and all Acts.

Do these tasks for all your subjects and I guarantee you'll get an ATAR of 90+

Btw I also gamed, went driving, celebrated birthdays and went on Facebook throughout year 11 and 12. I found deactivating my account and changing my password to a really long complicated password really put me off signing in during exam periods - which really boosting my concentration on exams and led to great results.

You have to be prepared to give up SOME family outings to prepare for exams, during an exam period or an exam in general.

Good luck with your HSC!
this is exactly what i meant, some people can do little work and end up with an alright atar but this guy for example did heaps of work but received a relatively low atar

finding out how much work others put into their hsc won't help you, instead what you should find out is how much work YOU need to do in order to achieve what you want

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't consistently study throughout the year, since I was actually pretty lazy. However, some subjects like Maths and Music, I put quite a lot of effort compared with the subjects like English and Legal because I knew that Maths and Music were not crammable, while English and Legal were crammable in comparison. I made notes for my subjects but I didn't revise through them because I got lazy.

Having said that, I scored below expectations in Maths and Music subjects, but higher expectations for English and Legal.

But anyway, if you're going to study, study properly (I realized that I didn't study properly at times because I was too obsessed with one subject and not that focused on others). Make sure that you know what you have to study. Ie. don't study a topic that won't be on the assessment task.

In addition to that studying, I facebooked and BoSed 3+ hours a day, played pokemon black and white before my half yearlies, hung out around with friends after trials, before and during the HSC. I was a big procrastinator so I deserved what I would get, which was 93.

enoilgam

HSC
this is exactly what i meant, some people can do little work and end up with an alright atar but this guy for example did heaps of work but received a relatively low atarfinding out how much work others put into their hsc won't help you, instead what you should find out is how much work YOU need to do in order to achieve what you want
You define 90 as a "relatively low ATAR" ? Thats in the top 10% of the state (year 7 cohort) and top 15% (roughly) of the cohort if you only include the final year 12s. Most people would probably rate that as a great ATAR.

Anyways, that issue aside, the problem with the whole "how much work do you do argument" is that its hard to get a straight answer from people, and the reasons are as follows:

1) In the pre-HSC years, people are lead to believe that the HSC requires some enourmous and seemingly inhuman effort. Whilst the HSC does require a big effort, its not as significant as your led to believe in the earlier years. So when people actually do the HSC, they often think that their efforts arent enough as they fail to compare to their unrealistic idea of what the HSC requires.

2) People often feel guilty when they dont study, and this leads them to conclude that their effort was lousy. There are 24 hours in a day, 8 of which are spent sleeping (on average). Although this leaves 16 hours left in a day, you cannot spend every minute studying, you need to rest and eat otherwise you will burn yourself out. Many HSC students feel guilty when they take breaks or dont use most of their waking hours to study. This guilt leads students to believe that they didnt try their best.

3) For some reason, people would much rather say "I got a [insert huge ATAR] and I didnt do lots of work" as opposed to saying "I got [insert huge ATAR] and I put in a great effort".

4) Most people who get great ATAR's are very critical of themselves, which leads them to believe that they did not put in their best. The ironic thing is that this self-criticism helps people to achieve great results.

In my opinion, most people who get a great ATAR, put in a significant amount of effort to get there. Whilst this effort varies due to natural intelligence, the whole line "I got a great ATAR and I bludged" is not true in the vast majority of circumstances. I know most people will probably beg to differ with this post, but thats my honest opinion.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
this is exactly what i meant, some people can do little work and end up with an alright atar but this guy for example did heaps of work but received a relatively low atar

finding out how much work others put into their hsc won't help you, instead what you should find out is how much work YOU need to do in order to achieve what you want
o_O That's exactly why I made it into my 1st preference course ay.

zeebobDD

HSC
wtf is people and all this "oh yeh i did no study" bullsshit, just put in the effort you think you need to do well, and it will pay off.

roryclifford

HSC
Just put into it what you can, and you wont be disappointed at the other end.

For me some days I was on a role and did 3+ hours (school days) and others I did nothing / barely anything, and just chilled out or went for a walk or gamed etc. Most weekends I took it easy unless I had as assessment / Assignment the next week or trials / hsc coming up. In those exam periods I did around 4 hours a day, though in holidays before HSC cranked around 8-10 per day for three weeks.

Ended up with 98.6, :p

But I COULD have done more, and used my frees at school more effectively, but I was doing good enough not to need that extra time, for me.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Who cares about your mark either way ffs. If you get into the course you want then all is gud. If not then perhaps you should've tried harder.

K

khorne

I made it into a scholarship at UNSW you jelly?
no because you're a lame person with no friends and a giant tool online. kk?

Also, I've been getting scholarship offers all day bby, didnt even apply. Get over yourself.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
no because you're a lame person with no friends and a giant tool online. kk?

Also, I've been getting scholarship offers all day bby, didnt even apply. Get over yourself.
Mate I most likely have more friends than you. you're a gold member who's rude online. you must of be on here endlessly.

an interweb fightz is not worth it, cyaz

K

khorne

Mate I most likely have more friends than you. you're a gold member who's rude online. you must of be on here endlessly.

an interweb fightz is not worth it, cyaz
nah son, i just tell it how it is.

(mrbrightside runs away cause he can't win a fight in real life or online (cause he has no friends))

shakky

HSC
IMO, if you go to a selective school, you are quite significantly advantaged, increasing your chances of getting an ATAR 95+. This not only because your cohort is excellent, its because there is more pressure and competition to do well, so your easily motivated to do well. I'm sure many assume that only Asians and Indians get 99+, and yet this is true to an extent because they come from a background where hard work and success are valued. But who's to say a Caucasian kid who goes to non-selective school can't get 99.95? In terms of study patterns, i guess do what best suits you, experiment and trial several methods during year 11 or first term of year 12. For me, i found that actually taking assignments seriously and looking it at as a study tool rather than a "chore" actually helps in setting your mood and motivation. Try not to study on your computer as it can offer distractions and can cause headaches. Do not study after 10pm, as your brain begins to slow down and fatigue. You rather go to bed at 10, and wake up at 4.30 and study/do homework. Research has shown that an 18 year old student can do as much work between 5am- 6am as opposed to 11pm to 3am. So therefore you are 4 times more productive. And most importantly, have a social life. And by that i don't mean getting absolutely smashed on saturday or friday night, just go out, have fun and drink in moderation. If you make studying your entire life, it will only be a matter of time before you get bored and give up. Trust me this method worked for me, my principal told me in year 11 that I wouldn't make it to uni, but i found a good study plan for me, and if you can see in my signature, my chances for getting into uni are extremely likely. Be realistic, work hard and most importantly have fun and enjoy school life :)

Last edited:

khfreakau

HSC
IMO, if you go to a selective school, you are quite significantly advantaged, increasing your chances of getting an ATAR 95+. This not only because your cohort is excellent, its because there is more pressure and competition to do well, so your easily motivated to do well. I'm sure many assume that only Asians and Indians get 99+, and yet this is true to an extent because they come from a background where hard work and success are valued. But who's to say a Caucasian kid who goes to non-selective school can't get 99.95? In terms of study patterns, i guess do what best suits you, experiment and trial several methods during year 11 or first term of year 12. For me, i found that actually taking assignments seriously and looking it at as a study tool rather than a "chore" actually helps in setting your mood and motivation. Try not to study on your computer as it can offer distractions and can cause headaches. Do not study after 10pm, as your brain begins to slow down and fatigue. You rather go to bed at 10, and wake up at 4.30 and study/do homework. Research has shown that an 18 year old student can do as much work between 5am- 6am as opposed to 11pm to 3am. So therefore you are 4 times more productive. And most importantly, have a social life. And by that i don't mean getting absolutely smashed on saturday or friday night, just go out, have fun and drink in moderation. If you make studying your entire life, it will only be a matter of time before you get bored and give up. Trust me this method worked for me, my principal told me in year 11 that I wouldn't make it to uni, but i found a good study plan for me, and if you can see in my signature, my chances for getting into uni are extremely likely. Be realistic, work hard and most importantly have fun and enjoy school life :)
i know a few from this year, so yeah, it's definitely possible. either way, someone should know what they're capable of, both in terms of academics and ability to study. if you apply yourself from there, you should be able to achieve your potential.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)