• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how significant are these early assessments? (2 Viewers)

Takuto

HSC
My question is should I be able to resit the exam or something, coz seriously this is so unfair.

I estimate I will get about 40% and this task was weighted at 15%.
Really depends on whether your teachers are fucktards or not (in my experience, almost all high school teachers are).

Your arguments are valid and you should complain.

jellybelly59 said:
Everyone in your class was subjected to the same conditions - i don't see why you guys should be given concessions in such a case.
Everyone should be given the amount of time they were supposed to be given, otherwise it is hardly a fair assessment. For one, the teacher should have given an extension if they read the instructions wrong and made people rewrite everything (esp. if there was a fair amount of writing, people who wrote more are penalized etc.). Just one example of many but just because everyone is penalised doesn't make it fair for everyone.

re: early assessments. I've noticed that a lot of people remain negative and have completely missed the point. They also haven't even got their HSC results or experienced said situation, and are making assumptions with no logical or technical basis. I could counter all of it easily, but lazy and there's really no point.

if you want to join the emo (cut cut) bandwagon, feel free. but just letting you know, their arguments really dont have any logic e.g. if everyone is a nerd that 'works their arse off to get a high ATAR', everyone will get dragged up, ultimately still leading to the failure of one assessment task or so having no effect. You don't even need to come 1st or close to 1st for that matter.

This description isn't even true for say lower ranked schools such as mine, where the majority of people wouldn't even be studying much at all and big leaps are possible. The sky's the limit here.

Also, hypothetically, if the percentage difference was so close as to determine ranks largely, we can only assume that these people all work hard and will all do similarly well in the external exam. Because the gap is so small, this would not make much difference in the end (think higher ranked schools).

The only time it would have a significant effect is like I said, if you give up. self fulfilling prophecy, if you guys know what that is.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
we have two 50 minute "reading" and "listening" tasks tomorrow and friday - combined they're worth 25% which i think is as much or more than the trial exam =/

what is wrong with our english faculty??
everything.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Your overall class rankings after these results are the most important thing. If you've got that covered, then doing well is pretty much a kind of placebo effect for building confidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)