how significant are these early assessments? (1 Viewer)

gsweeper

HSC
I feel as though in English i screwed up with a creative writing assessment and am looking at around 70%, i also didn't do as well as i would have liked in economics with an 85%. The weightings were 15% and 20% respectively, how much of a bearing does this have come this time next year?

Brontecat

HSC
yes, these assessments count towards your internal mark for the HSC, which means that your assessments were worth 15 and 20%of your TOTAL mark for your HSC internal mark

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
EVERY assessment now counts, it just depends on the weighting - in my experience, now is the assessments where the weighting is relatively low, 10-15% of the final course mark (or 5-7.5% of the total HSC mark)

Nyxie

HSC
Wow, it's pretty scary- it's still sinking in for me that the assignments I'm doing and the tests in the next couple of days actually count towards my HSC.

I'm freaking out! :bat:

gsweeper

HSC
Yes, but in terms of ATAR, how much is this affecting me? is it minimal or largely noticeable?

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
All assessment tasks affect your final ATAR. However if you stuff up in one you can easily make up for it. For example one person in my year ranked 43rd out of 56 for the first assessment task and smashed the rest and ended up 2nd.

Also, the teachers will have a better idea of your ability at the end of the year. And it's usually the latter assessments that your teachers will spread out your ranks from. Just keep with the pack. :drink:

gsweeper

HSC
well it's not that my results are bad, they are quite good and my ranking is still pretty high, it's just that im not entirely happy with the marks

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, I think it'd be best to compare this to what others in your class/year got. As you stated in post above your rank is pretty high which is good, any difference to your ATAR would be quite minimal.

HSC
due to our year 11 play conveniently scheduled in between 3 assessment tasks weighting 10 15 and 25% im screwed. haven't started english (25%er) due thursday.

wendybird

HSC
For myself, I found the opposite was true (bizarrely enough)

But keep in mind that it also depends at what level you are performing at - be honest, are you (speaking to a general "you") performing at the top/middle/lower range?

If you're among the very top:

I would say early assessments DO matter, simply because the competition gets fierce and among the students competing for top ranks (say 1 to 5) very few marks are dropped, so its a matter of who can be the most consistent and not crack. Inevitably a little bit of cracking does happen at the end of the year (naturally - very few people are machines), so its important to make the first few assessments as near to perfect as possible. That's what I found saved my butt, when I dropped a few marks in the later assessments, I was suprised to see that I preserved my (1/2/3) ranking thanks to getting perfect/near perfect marks early.

If you're middle to lower range:

1. Of course you're not screwed!
2. Then there is alot of scope for improvement and for the trials to make a good deal of difference. I've seen plenty of students really pick things up and overtake kids who did well early - just a matter of maintaining/picking up energy.

Imo, the HSC is about intelligence, sure, but moreso it is about organisation, ability to juggle time pressures and consistency.

Put the assessments in context of
- Rank
- Weighting.

Its less disastrous to stuff up a lightly weighted assessment, and its ok to get a low mark but to rank high. Put it in context, and finally, put it in context of the overall weighted mark at the end. :uhhuh:

jet

Banned
HSC
trials matter the most. as long as you don't majorly screw up early assessments, your ranks ride pretty much on trials (at least they did at our school)
This.

Also, forget the marks. As long as the ranking is good, the marks don't really matter, as BOS standardises them against your school's HSC performance, thus changing them anyway.

First assessments are good for establishing rankings. Those who do well now will probably hold that rank until the trials, when everything changes.

To sum up, It's good to be 'up there', but not essential to be 1st.

HSC
this.

Also, forget the marks. As long as the ranking is good, the marks don't really matter, as bos standardises them against your school's hsc performance, thus changing them anyway.

First assessments are good for establishing rankings. Those who do well now will probably hold that rank until the trials, when everything changes.

To sum up, it's good to be 'up there', but not essential to be 1st.
+1

muhahahahahaha

HSC
if something weighs 15% is it very important? if you do mad in something that only wieghs that much, will it affect the atar significantly?

jet

Banned
HSC
Depends whether it affects your rank

speedofsound

HSC
trials matter the most. as long as you don't majorly screw up early assessments, your ranks ride pretty much on trials (at least they did at our school)
doesn't that depend on the weighting? i know for some of my subjects the weighting for assessments and trials are around the same (for one, our trials are only 15%).

leungz

HSC
these early assessments dont really matter if u dont epic fail them, if ur consistent that is the key to success in the HSC as many ppl will fluctuate so ur ranking will balance out

You will do well just work to the best of your ability and u wil do fine

HSC 2010:
Advanced English :drink:
Extension 1 English:angel:
General Mathematics:p
Ancient History :cool:
Modern History:uhhuh:
Economics:hippie:
Business Studies:hammer:
Extension History:balloon:
fuck business reports

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Incredibly significant as I knew a guy who didn't do them and then he was now homeless and also he is dead

Dyllip

HSC
So if it all depends on rankings, if I come 3rd in everything, which I usually do :(, is that bad or good? (All my classes are like out of 20 ppl, English 90, General Maths 65)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
So if it all depends on rankings, if I come 3rd in everything, which I usually do :(, is that bad or good? (All my classes are like out of 20 ppl, English 90, General Maths 65)
Depends on the mark gaps and how strong your cohort is as a whole.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
We have two 50 minute "reading" and "listening" tasks tomorrow and friday - combined they're worth 25% which i think is as much or more than the trial exam =/

What is wrong with our english faculty??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)