How To End A Creative Piece? (1 Viewer)

Khan.Paki

HSC
Ideas? How should the story end in which the marker/teacher will feel a tinge of emotion. Any creative suggestions? Thanks :spin:

photastic

HSC
The heart reaches its limits, its cry of blood.

Instant 0/15 lol

photastic

HSC
And they lived happily ever after.

Best ending is To be Continued!

Bingobango

HSC
Ideas? How should the story end in which the marker/teacher will feel a tinge of emotion. Any creative suggestions? Thanks :spin:
Try a cyclical ending, where you connect the end of the piece thematically/symbolically with the beginning. It doesn't need to be something special, but it should have a deep sense of significance to your piece. Eg the protagonist has a nosebleed at the start and end. This means shit all, but executed correctly it could provide a poetic sense of closure to your piece.

dirty_ink

HSC
I'm assuming OP already knows the gist of how a creative goes. An individual lacks something and strives to attain it, there is a complication, etc.

In saying that, there doesn't necessarily have to be a resolution. Sure you could end the creative with the individual having achieved whatever he/she was seeking, but having the achievement or goal still being elusive at the end is equally interesting. The presence of character development is a must though.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Start writing smaller and smaller, then your teacher be like

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the complexity of your creative writing. Rather than building the story around a single event, instead, do it with a motif. And yeah this is how I ended my story.

RobbieFerguson

HSC
N/A
Your creative should (generally speaking) be set in a very short time frame. The best creatives investigate a moment, or a few vignettes within a short time span. It's tough to say precisely how you want to end a story without knowing the specifics of it, but here are some guidelines:

- Don't be dramatic; if it has any resolution, it should be small and meaningful. A character arc is great, but only if it's believable.
- Endings are not a time for exposition. They should "say" everything through imagery, and relatively clean/sparse imagery at that.
(i.e. don't tell me your character has discovered a renewed interest of life. have them them admire the way the way a moth clings to their bed lamp at night, or recharacterise a motif or image used earlier in the piece in a positive light).
- Be unexpected! - maybe have a discovery be introspective, when they've been seeking external thrills and validation up until then.
- It should link as explicitly as possible to any stimulus you've been given
- A little pathetic fallacy is often under-appreciated ;)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This is too broad a question. How you should end your creative will depend on your story line-choose a story line based on a simple experience explored in a poignant way and you can never go wrong. Your creative idea will determine how you should end the story, but any good ending should have a very strong resolution-you should not have a cliff-hanger ending no matter what.

For some more tips on creative writing for discovery, feel free to check out my discovery seminar slides in this thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...seminar-presentation-slides-limited-time.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)