How to F...ken to study ENGLISH? (1 Viewer)

monique66

hey, dif ppl are betta at dif things, like i suck at maths, and eng is alright for me...so hopefully i dun screw up my hsc....*crosses fingers*

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Think

Be unique

Write practice responses

Get feedback from TOP NOTCH teacher(s)

Most Important: SYNTHESIS AND INTEGRATE

Last edited:

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
For english, I got 100% at the end of year 11 exam. Did not study one minute of the year :p. I decided "screw this" and went up to Advanced at the start of yr 12, still easy stuff IMO.

English is different because there aren't any "dot points" you learn, like science subjects and similar. You need to know how to analyse a text, and that is not a factual skill, it's more imaginative\intuitive based than factual based. Some people have the skills, some people don't. The best people learn them and do great regardless.

Still, what you want to know is:

*The texts that you'll be studying - everything about them. Their meaning, the techniques used, all of it. Not as hard as it sounds, study guides are available if you can't get the jist of the texts yourself. Most of the board of studies material is pretty simple compared to what they could give you, considering depth of meaning and such. Someone mentioned quotes, good example of what you need to know.

*What the syllabus WANTS you to know regaurding the text, e.g. for AoS, physical journeys is what we had to relate to the Peter Skrzynecki poetry. In this, just know how the text RELATES to the concept of physical journeys and you'll be fine. The same applies to comparitive study of texts & context, critical study of texts and the representation & text modules. Just know what they want from you.

*Techniques. Learning about english techniques is a good idea, because school never really teaches you much of them during HSC (they assume you know enough). If you know a wide range of textual techniques, than you can apply these in your essays and suprise the markers, for easy marks. Still, only within the boundaries of the question asked!

*Learn, at least, how to write an english essay. Not really "study" per se, but it will help you nonetheless. Take note of the questions asked, how they relate to the text at hand and the answer will come flowing out.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Oh YES YES i can see!! thank you, hopefully with pratice n hardwork i'll ace english wen i repeat at tafe!

J

jhakka

69^boi said:
yes how do you study i dont know seriously..i did a thread in english but no one replied....
Don't. I hope this has been helpful. :)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
so jhaaka dat didnt help n gliterfly wot do u mean?...

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
well put it this way.......wateva question they ask u, theyre looking for 4 things.......techniques (from wateva text uve done), quotes, answering the question and scenes from ur text to back up ur arguements........this is wat i did.........i had a mad teacher though......for each module i wrote an essay with all the above in it.........got it fixed six milliom times until it was perfect and learnt it off by heart.......i left out answering the question though......i just did generic essays..........and in the exam all i did was after each paragraph i answered the question........however OMG in one of my modules (king lear) my stupid second scene wouldnt make sense in the question so on the spot i did another scene and tried to remember techniques from that damn bondi production.......anyways best to go with a prepared essay.....and also understand ur work....or else u wont be able to manipulate ur essays to fit the question.......it is very unlikely that ull get a question so easy that u can just write ur essay out.....

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
69^boi said:
yes how do you study i dont know seriously..i did a thread in english but no one replied....
btw u might wanna start with correcting ur grammer..............ur title is appaling and makes no sense.....;p

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
its all about.... "prepare, prepare, prepare" (such essays)
and knowing your texts well
um.. and quotes
and linking with other texts blah blah blah

choc-chip

HSC
Don't sit there n doing nofin while u whinging have no idea how to study English, trust me, it doesn't help u a bit.Okay, here's my suggestions:

• Adjust your attitude, keep telling yourself u do like English
    Practise as more essays as possible, n get ur teacher to mark for u.PRACTISE is the only way to improve!!!
    Go to the libary, get some suppliment materials(There are plenty of resources on the HSC session)
    Read notes and resources from the BOS

Good luck!!

HSC
N/A
69^boi said:
so jhaaka dat didnt help n gliterfly wot do u mean?...
We're both EE2 friends who are of the opinion that one cannot really "study" per se for english. Hence, I've been posting moderately-long replies to your "I can't study help me how" threads in the english forums (which it appears you haven't looked at) and he's just come along and said it a lot more simply.

You either understand english, or you don't. Practice essays, reading study guides and comparing notes will help you clarify what you know about your texts and how to write them up into different genres as well as answering the question, but you cannot "study" english, and if you set out with the idea of leaving 20mins each night to "do a portion of the syllabus" you're effectivelly screwed from the start.

English itself is not too hard, but it is if you go around it trying to learn it from the wrong way.

Master P pretty much outlined the english syllabus. That being said, it is not "an english study guide for the HSC". People like me are always here to critique your essays and assignments so you know where your problem areas are, but please, stop asking us "how to study" for english. Because you can't, and that's what we've been trying to tell you!!!

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Too late now i finished my hsc alrdy, im considering to repeat at tafe

look all my teacher was talk about the text(ie poems,movies,story) about wot this character did to the other character , personality of the character...i dont really get da point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)