How to F...ken to study ENGLISH? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I'm so glad we agree on something :D

Admitedly there is so much generic stuff in essay writing that can sort of be learnt by rote, although I've never said the same thing in the same way twice before. Just a personal perk.

:D

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
69^boi said:
wots rote n 'per se'. n thx 4 helping
To write essays beforehand, memorise them & spit them out in the exam. Obviously you don't just spit out what you prepared, you have to twist it to what the question asks but it is a good way of learning if you are not good at doing the on-the-spot thinking.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I'm so glad we agree on something :D

Admitedly there is so much generic stuff in essay writing that can sort of be learnt by rote, although I've never said the same thing in the same way twice before. Just a personal perk.

:D
Haha yes but I can't understand why you would condemn rote learning if people are preparing the essays themselves and memorising what they've written. Don't see anything wrong with that... if it's your own work obviously you understand it.

HSC
N/A
Actually there are quite a lot of people who regurgitate a completely memorised essay, which is why I dislike it so much.

If you're able to memorise your points by rote and twist it, you have a much better chance.

Hold on! editing because I need to add more now...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Actually there are quite a lot of people who regurgitate a completely memorised essay, which is why I dislike it so much.

If you're able to memorise your points by rote and twist it, you have a much better chance.
Yeh I know what you mean, my teacher who was a marker said that it is easy to pick up on someone who is just regurgitating a prepared essay so they don't get marked well even if the essay is fantastic. At least the system is somewhat fair.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
Im begining to understand more and more now about english!! at least i think.
Big thanks to gliiterfly,InifiteQ and all d other people who help me *feeling of happiness

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
69^boi said:
Big thanks to gliiterfly,InifiteQ and all d other people who help me *feeling of happiness
Let us know how you go but I am sure you will kick ass once you find your way of studying it. Good luck!

HSC
N/A
"Actually there are quite a lot of people who regurgitate a completely memorised essay at the risk of not answering the question. I don't support it because I believe that attempting to answer the question to the best of your ability is far more important than spitting out a "pretty" essay.

Sadly, the syllabus is structured in such a way that they want polished essays. People learn all these fancy words, techniques and concepts, but yet they have no true understanding of what they are. They're not learning anything, just memorising a whole lot of "Stuff" which they don't understand and will never use again.

I'm so lucky in the sense that I've had GREAT teachers. Everything I've learnt has changed the way I think and I'm able to APPLY everything I've learnt to other texts.

Since there is such a huge capacity and potential to learn from the syllabus I believe we all should, as if nothing else, the waffling talents perfected in english certainly help other subjects.

I just hate to see people writing things they don't understand, and regurgitating something they don't understand. The point of the exercise is to understand, and the more people learn by rote and regurgitate essays, the more they put off understanding until the HSC is completely over and they missed the chance entirely."

My teacher is a Senior HSC marker and he pretty much says the same thing about being able to pick up on regurgitated essays.

HSC
N/A
69^boi said:
Well, you know, we're always here to help :)

I'm so glad you're beginning to grasp the concept of it more. :)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
thanks! oh and i agreee understanding is more important memorising essays.

HSC
N/A
Uni already? Wow...

Well, I only just finished my HSC. YAY!!!

As for what subjects, I did 4U English, general maths, textiles and ancient history.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Uni already? Wow...

Well, I only just finished my HSC. YAY!!!

As for what subjects, I did 4U English, general maths, textiles and ancient history.
Good luck with the results.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
yea goodluck gliter , all the best. what course you applying?

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
It's not difficult to grasp English. It really isn't. it's all about the

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW

learn your quotes, and try to get hold of ONE really good essay (from the class or bored of studies..standard packages), preferably your own. What gets you 90%+ in an exam is everything that glitter has been telling you, but to go to the absolute top end (i went there twice! woohoo!) you need to utilize your originality. Originality is an absolute must- this obviously comes from your true understanding of the text and your ability to relate it to yourself and your society and literature in general. If you just want to pass: memorise that (shit) essay, dont answer the question, and manipulate quotes for what their NOT intended for..guarantee a pass.. provided you have plenty of luck.

So the formula for doing well in the exam?
1. Manipulate useful quotes (learn them all off by heart!!!)- they should reflect the theme, and provide insight to the module as well as able to be used in pretty much any question... you gotta sparkle in front of the marker!! I admit finding these valuable quotes require a very thorough understanding of the text...so read carefully!

2.Answer the question with the *******HOW**** u know...what the composer said and respond to the syllabus outcomes. Read the outcomes for each prescribed text, i got a copy of the King Lear one, and that was very useful.

3.Don't even think about memorised essays. You spend more time in the exam memorising the words rather than answering the questoin. You can end up panickking coz u cant remember word for word. Either that or your writing turns to be a bit pedestrian.

But to STUDY for English...read read read your text and get a feel for it (get the main idea, then re-read it so then you can come up with ur original ideas)...think think think about the module's requirements... write write, but dont write too much or else your thesis will become too solid. Do have a good look at the types of questions, and plan a bit. Also, make sure your related text is appropriate and displays your understanding of the text.

Basicly, you gotta mould your way around english. imagination helps, but the hard yards get you there. I hope you get to see the beauty & value of English, coz i loved it to bits, and indeed, like glitter.. it's changed the way i think.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
69^boi said:
yes how do you study i dont know seriously..i did a thread in english but no one replied....
I memorised quotes + persuasive techniques and such for the analytical response/persuasive part of the exam. Obviously worked b/c I ended up with a study score 10 points higher than I expected-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)