How to maintain weight? (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
If i walk on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes a day at 6km/hr for 3-4 days a week, is this enough to maintain my current weight or lose weight? I also eat 3 slices of whole grain bread with either chicken or tuna or egg salad for lunch. I heard that eating bread can make you fat? but if i don't eat a sandwich for lunch, what should i have instead?

Thanks!

amirite

HSC
If i walk on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes a day at 6km/hr for 3-4 days a week, is this enough to maintain my current weight or lose weight? I also eat 3 slices of whole grain bread with either chicken or tuna or egg salad for lunch. I heard that eating bread can make you fat? but if i don't eat a sandwich for lunch, what should i have instead?

Thanks!
The exercise is irrelevant really. It all comes down to how much youre eating. Sure, bread can make you fat. But not if you eat a reasonable amount of it.

Work out your daily calorie requirement. -500cals to lose weight. +500cals to gain weight. Eat right on your daily requirement to maintain weight.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I just find it really difficult counting calories.. like does it mean i have to like weigh everything ? because that seems so confussing..

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It's really not that hard, once you find out the appropriate portions of staples for your calorie intake you get used to it pretty quickly.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
If you don't want to count calories you have to take a sensible approach to food and exercise. Bottom line is energy out has got to be more than energy in to lose weight, but you don't have to obsess over it.

-Exercise daily
-Eat healthily and at regular intervals
-Get enough sleep and drink lots of water

edit: didn't mean to quote maycat

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Do you think 30 minutes a day of walking for 3-4 days a week enough? or should i aim for 60 minutes a day?

Dr.Dan

HSC
Do you think 30 minutes a day of walking for 3-4 days a week enough? or should i aim for 60 minutes a day?
Firstly, the earlier post saying "exercise is irrelevant " is complete bull crap.

You can be eating quite alot throughout the day and not put on any fat if your energy output (exercise) is greater than your caloric intake.

Secondly; I don't know about you but walking long distances is a norm for me and most people everyday. Rather than taking longer intervals, do shorter more explosive intervals of running. E.g. 5 minute intervals of sprinting up a hill or sprinting on an incline treadmill.

The amount you burn in that interval will be equivalent or greater than the amount burnt in an hour of walking. It will also be more effective in building lean muscle.
Of course, you need to watch what you eat if your aim is to lose weight or promote lean muscle development. Just don't eat junk food, not hard.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I think you should be aiming for about half an hour of exercise 7 days a week. 3 or 4 of those days should be quite active (i.e. running or something that really gets you puffed out) and the rest of it can just be walking or something.

But to make it a habit and keep the weight off, you need to be active every day, so it just becomes part of your normal life to go for a jog or whatever.

edit: for example a friend of mine who is trying to lose a bit of weight goes to the gym and does those group classes for about an hour or so most days, if not every day. It used to be hard but now she likes it and looks forward to going. Sometimes she drags me along as well, it's actually kinda fun. Maybe get a friend to exercise with as well?

Last edited:

amirite

HSC
Firstly, the earlier post saying "exercise is irrelevant " is complete bull crap.
Firstly I said "exercise is irrelevant really". Meaning it does have a place but diet is 10x more important.

You could have a cheeseburger than spend 45mins on a treadmill burning the same amount of cals or you can just not eat the burger in the first place.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
30-40 minutes a day at 6km/hr for 3-4 days a week
lol my 50 year old mum is doing this except every day and at 7km/hr

don't think she's losing weight.. just keeping fit and healthy along with a good diet

amirite

HSC
I overlooked that too. ^ I walk home from school at the same speed, for the saem duration. It burns about 200cals for me and I guess even less for OP. Its equal to a low-fat yoghurt and half a banana. Not much.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Btw, i'm 54kg 165cm. I find counting calories confussing and difficult, as in do i need to weigh everything i eat or should i just eat when hungry and stop when full? also should i be eating 1200 calories to maintain my weight?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Okay well it sounds like you don't need to lose weight at all. I am about the same height and weight as you and I'm pretty damn skinny. It also seems that counting calories is not going to work for you, so don't do it. There are other ways to keep track of your food intake and maintain (not lose) your current weight.

E.g.

- If you feel hungry, occupy yourself with something else for ten minutes. If you're still hungry, eat something small and healthy, like a piece of fruit. True hunger will stick around, boredom cravings will go away once you find something else to do.

- Eat all your main meals sitting down at a table with minimal distractions. Eat slowly and put your fork down between bites. Your body takes about 20 minutes or so to register that you're full, so if you eat it all in 5 minutes you're not giving yourself the chance to regulate how much you're actually eating.

- Eat regularly, I cannot stress this enough, do not skip meals or force yourself not to eat when you are genuinely hungry.

And exercise regularly

you'll be fine

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
You don't need to count calories to make sure that you eat well.

Just think about what you're putting in your body. Up your intake of vegies, cut out the crap and you'll be fine.

amirite

HSC
You can also have a think about what the next 2-3 hours entails. If youre gonna be sitting in a chair watching TV then you only need a smaller meal. If your going to workout then youll need a bigger meal. If youve just woken up and youve got a busy day ahead of you then youll need a big meal.

Eat when youre hungry and eat when you havent eaten for 2-3 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)