im so far behind in PE.
i dont know how to edit my myspace,
and i have so much work to do tonight

== GAY
Wow....

HanT

HSC
Re: How was your school day? 2008.

editing your myspace is easy! just go on one of those sites that have pre-made thingys and just whack it in the "about me" section.
voila!

bassistx

HSC

davidbarnes said:
Perhaps Feb 13th shodu leb made a public holiday so everyone cna stay hoem and watch Kevin Rudd LIVE apologize to the Aboriginal people. I'm all for an apology, so long as their is no compensation!!!!
We're actually going to be watching it at school. Our principal today explained to everybody what was going to be happening on Wednesday. We're going into the hall basically and we're going to watch the live broadcast.

Our Entertainment class today was setting up all of the equipment. We could only get reception on SBS, TVS, and Ten. Crappy. SBS was okay quality. Nobody actually knew which channel it was going to be on so we spent over half an hour on the net going through TV guides and articles to find out when it would air. Eventually, we came across a NINEMSN article - it's scheduled to start 9am on SBS Television, ABC Television, and ABC radio.
I really can't wait. This is such a historic event and a positive step forward :)

I can't even remember what happened at school today. As soon as I'm out of those gates, I can't remember anything. It's great but kinda horrible when it comes to understanding your homework -__-;;

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC

bassistx said:
it's scheduled to start 9am on SBS Television, ABC Television, and ABC radio.
I bet it will be live on Channel Nine and Channel Seven, as well as Sky News of course.

bassistx

HSC

davidbarnes said:
I bet it will be live on Channel Nine and Channel Seven, as well as Sky News of course.
lol I was saying if we couldn't find it, our last resort would be sky news footage.. The poor quality stuff off YouTube.

We didn't find anything about Ch9 and Ch7. But in any case, we don't have any reception for those channels. Bummer.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

so i guess i'm the only one here who finds this 'apology' to be an absolute load of crock?

cool.

dat202hoe

HSC

I'd love to miss class to watch the apology =) Too bad I don't think it's gonna happen at my school.

bassistx

HSC

Jachie said:
so i guess i'm the only one here who finds this 'apology' to be an absolute load of crock?

cool.
They've been waiting for like 100 years for this. I think it's kind of disrespectful to let it go so easily. I'm really proud of Mr. Rudd for having the courage to do it. Mr. Howard apologized and then took it back, saying it was about something else. He said it doesn't stop at sorry, they want compensation, etc. The Aborignal Alliance did say that sorry wasn't enough, but it's a good step.

I think it's beautiful :)

Anyway. How was school?

cal.

Banned
HSC

lol fucking hell, why apologise for something you didn't personally do? it's a joke. it would be like me saying sorry if my dad caused someone he operated on to die 10 years ago (he didn't actually do that, it's just an example).

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC

I think it is good of K.Rud to apolgize, afterall I couldn't give a dam if he says sorry to the Aboriginal people. As so many people want it, it is a good thing for K.Fudd to do. However compnesation must be absolutely out of the question - apology sure, but I and my parents are dam well not paying for those people to get huge compensation claims from the government. As the liberals said, most of them were saved.

Apology perfectly fine. Compensation no way in hell.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

agreed with cal 100% (whoa, first time for everything hey!)

Saying sorry is an empty symbolic gesture that is absolutely meaningless. It means nothing to the people the apology is directed to, it means nothing to the people the apology is supposedly spoken on behalf of. I'm not sorry. I didn't do anything. What happened was awful and I'm pretty sure everyone can recognise that, but there's a difference between acknowledging regrettable actions undertaken by people who have NOTHING to do with us today, and actually apologising for them. This generation is not responsible for past wrong-doings, we are in no position to apologise for anything and we shouldn't be expected to.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC

It won't make a differernce. Unless you are Aboriginal you shouldn't care. Who cars if Rudd apolgizes on behalf of the country/government/whoever it is only a word. The problem is if they then want compensation. If they get compensation it would almost be a sure bet Rudd would not get a secodn term.

bassistx

HSC

They want an apology from a "formal" or "official" figure. Who better than Prime Minister? I'm sure the Queen doesn't give a crap.

I don't agree with compensation because it happened ages ago and then, it was seen as "okay". Just because times have changed, it doesn't mean we should pay for compensation for something which happened decades ago - which, then, was seen as a beneficial act.

Quoting Mr. Rudd, "sorry is a symbol of respect". I can't remember the exact words. But something about resorting respect. Just showing that we acknowledge it was wrong, that's it. It's considerate, I suppose :)

Zephyrio

HSC

Jachie said:
agreed with cal 100% (whoa, first time for everything hey!)

Saying sorry is an empty symbolic gesture that is absolutely meaningless. It means nothing to the people the apology is directed to, it means nothing to the people the apology is supposedly spoken on behalf of. I'm not sorry. I didn't do anything. What happened was awful and I'm pretty sure everyone can recognise that, but there's a difference between acknowledging regrettable actions undertaken by people who have NOTHING to do with us today, and actually apologising for them. This generation is not responsible for past wrong-doings, we are in no position to apologise for anything and we shouldn't be expected to.
I think that it's more of a symbolic gesture to the Aborigines, a white institution admitting that they were wrong. I mean, of course they can't extract an apology from prime ministers in the 40s, 60s etc, but if the Aborigines who have campaigned for so long hold this so dear to them, then that's okay by me. I'm not exactly sure what the wording entails, but I'm sure that Rudd will try to apologise for the wrongdoings of governments gone by - who were jackasses enough to leave it to future generations... If there's one issue crossed off the Tent Embassy's "To Do" list, then I'm for it. Kevin Rudd seems like a genuine man anyway, even for a politician.

OTHER than that, it does seem somewhat of an empty gesture, I agree. You can't expect to erase decades of heartache and suppression with a simple "sorry" (I am sure Rudd will decorate the term). I don't know about compensation, but as long as Redfern is associated with "Aboriginal", we've got miles ahead towards reconciliation.

Last edited:

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

I would like to say, publicly that i honestly could not care less about the Apology.

Unless i get something out of it, which i dont, i don't care. Also K rudd is retarded, obviously there was a reason for J howard not apologising.

Lets watch government expenditure increase sevenfold to aboriginal welfare now.

samleitch

HSC

What an appalling day. I drank 6 cups of tea. School is bolloks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)