HPT Hazard Perception Test (1 Viewer)

Abe07

HSC
Did the test on Wednesday for P2. Was an absolute Joke like everyone says.

For the slowing down ones I pressed the screen about 4 seconds into each one even if I didn't see anything and on the intersection ones I never pressed the screen to turn. Passed easily.

lala2

Banned
HSC
How many questions are there and how many do you need to get correct to pass? Going for my greens on Thursday. If anyone wants practice, check out the following links even though it's not much:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/learnerdrivers/14992.asp
http://clt.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Which points out how stupid the HPT is in the current licensing system. I think it's a bit difficult to develop hazard perception skills when you haven't had practical experienc, so perhaps after the theory test, but before you sit your driving test. Like saying you can sit your HPT 12 months after obtaining your Ls, but if you fail, you cannot progress to the driving test, and extend Ls expiry date or something to compensate.

EDIT: Further to my question above, having now sat and passed the HPT, there's roughly 20 questions (they are not numbered so this is just a guess) and they don't tell you how many you need to pass. I dunno about other people, but I found the press to turn right questions were easier than the press to slow down questions because the speed at which you move on the video doesn't seem to match up to the stated speed. For the press to turn right questions, watch out for RED LIGHTS! Almost always it's never safe to turn right, and almost always you're required to slow down.

Last edited:

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
I did my HPT yesterday and passed first time. If you are in a scenario where you have to turn at an intersection, DONT touch the screen. If you are in a scenario where you have to slow down, touch the screen to slow down as soon as you see a hazard, or bend in the road etc, Hope this helps

HSC
lala2 said:
Which points out how stupid the HPT is in the current licensing system. I think it's a bit difficult to develop hazard perception skills when you haven't had practical experienc, so perhaps after the theory test, but before you sit your driving test. Like saying you can sit your HPT 12 months after obtaining your Ls, but if you fail, you cannot progress to the driving test, and extend Ls expiry date or something to compensate.
The system is sort of similar to this in WA. We can sit our DART at age 16.5, and its only after then that we get our logbook and start hours. We have the logbook for six months, and at the end of that then sit the HPT.

But seriously, the HPT does not test anyones driving ability.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I just did the HPT today and passed easily. If you drive regularly (even just once a week) then the skills should come naturally. Cannot believe it cost me over $100 (30+ for the test and 70+ for the new license) just to pass it...:angry:

As much as it is intended to reduce P platers killing people or getting killed, I think it's a very flawed system. P platers still represent the greatest proportion of crashes and yet there is a very high pass rate on this test. I'm surprised that the only practical test is from L to P1. I initially expected a practical test going from P2 to full, but found out that wasn't the case. These tests (perhaps bar the DART) are more like revenue-raisers than life-savers.

Last edited:

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
u dont have to do anything special for the HPT. just hit it when u see something. i think ud have to do something pretty dumb to fail it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Trebla said:
I just did the HPT today and passed easily. If you drive regularly (even just once a week) then the skills should come naturally. Cannot believe it cost me over $100 (30+ for the test and 70+ for the new license) just to pass it...:angry:

As much as it is intended to reduce P platers killing people or getting killed, I think it's a very flawed system. P platers still represent the greatest proportion of crashes and yet there is a very high pass rate on this test. I'm surprised that the only practical test is from L to P1. I initially expected a practical test going from P2 to full, but found out that wasn't the case. These tests (perhaps bar the DART) are more like revenue-raisers than life-savers.
Completely agree, and I think they should have another driving test from P2 to full. On the note of how often do you drive, I have literally driven about 10 times during my year on red Ps (and perhaps about five times unaccompanied) and hadn't driven since October, and yet I still passed. So don't worry, if you're sensible about it and don't incessantly jab the screen, you'll pass. Also, I dunno if this helps, but I took time out between each question, just to carefully read the question and digest it before doing it.

Even the guy at the RTA joked that either this is too easy, or you are all cheating, because every single person who's sat the HPT has passed today. And I say it's because it's too easy.

K

ken098

:monkey:this is a really easy test!!

only two question types for me:

1) right turn at lights:
Almost always never had to turn. Only when there is nothing in the way (including stationary vehicles).

2)situations when it asks you to slow down:
Hit screen when someone breaks ahead, if it rains, someone signals to enter your lane, a car is approaching an intersection, your about to enter a bend, you see a warning sign (those yellow hazard signs), someone walks in front of yo car or if someone is reversing from driveway i.e. use your brain! :idea:

Btw, handbook is waste of time. If you want just skim over key point summary. The test video is kinda like this:

YouTube - Hazard Perception Theory Test

The only other thing i can say is NOT to be nervous and stay alert . :eek:
ummm.....also i had to press the screen, rather than just tapping it.:hammer:

patchirajan

HSC
N/A
Did the test on Wednesday for P2. Was an absolute Joke like everyone says.

For the slowing down ones I pressed the screen about 4 seconds into each one even if I didn't see anything and on the intersection ones I never pressed the screen to turn. Passed easily.
yeh thats right i done mine o sunday. Its the same tips i gathered from here and i followed it. It gave my Green P's. Thats Simple.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
why the fuck am i worried if 'it's sooo easy'!?!

i might do mine this sat.

did anybody study for this or anything lol. coz i surely havent. im just going to do it spontaneously. :( scared LOL

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lol thanks.

can i bring my glasses there though? coz i dont need to wear glasses for driving but if im on the computer i sometimes need to use it? does it matter?
AFAIK they don't care because it's not on the road. It's like watching 20 year old VHS tapes of cars moving around town centres (i.e. not the busy CBD) and then tapping the screen whenever something is meant to happen.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
To be honest the Provisional license test (P1) DART test is the hardest test you will have from the RTA. After that they just get easier.

If you do a search you will find a couple of old threads where people who have taken the test give you some helpful pointers. But basically if you see a truck blocking the view of the opposite side of the road and you want to turn right don't (as cars come around the trunk). If it's raining wait for the most obvious gap. Don't overtake in residential areas. Tap the screen whenever you see possible harzards (i.e. people walking on the road).

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
AFAIK they don't care because it's not on the road. It's like watching 20 year old VHS tapes of cars moving around town centres (i.e. not the busy CBD) and then tapping the screen whenever something is meant to happen.
To be honest the Provisional license test (P1) DART test is the hardest test you will have from the RTA. After that they just get easier.

If you do a search you will find a couple of old threads where people who have taken the test give you some helpful pointers. But basically if you see a truck blocking the view of the opposite side of the road and you want to turn right don't (as cars come around the trunk). If it's raining wait for the most obvious gap. Don't overtake in residential areas. Tap the screen whenever you see possible harzards (i.e. people walking on the road).
thanks. and yeah i would go back and check out the previous posts but theres no many. ill check it when i get home then

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
One other quick tip is always slow down the moment you see anything which could potentially be a hazard such as parked cars (could be hiding pedestrians?) or another oncoming vehicle.

I can't remember if HPT has multiple taps per video or not... but the full licence one requires you to tap the screen more than once (e.g. for each safe gap to take the turn). I think there are some online practice questions on the RTA website somewhere too but this may or may not be applicable for HPT.

astroe

HSC
It's really not a hard test, nothing to be worried about. :p
Infact, reading people's concerns and problems made me more anxious and paranoid - since I was trying to presume what would happen.

The intersection ones are simple, don't go unless you can see the whole road ahead of you!

It's only a single touch test, i.e "Touch the screen when it is safe to turn" or "Touch the screen when you would slow down."

Parked cars, side streets and pedestrians on the road are all valid excuses to slow down.
There was one when a woman was walking with her pram on the side of the road then SUDDENLY just turned the pram into the path of the car (on the video) like wtf. :haha:

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
It's really not a hard test, nothing to be worried about. :p
Infact, reading people's concerns and problems made me more anxious and paranoid - since I was trying to presume what would happen.

The intersection ones are simple, don't go unless you can see the whole road ahead of you!

It's only a single touch test, i.e "Touch the screen when it is safe to turn" or "Touch the screen when you would slow down."

Parked cars, side streets and pedestrians on the road are all valid excuses to slow down.
There was one when a woman was walking with her pram on the side of the road then SUDDENLY just turned the pram into the path of the car (on the video) like wtf. :haha:

hahaha i know! that was in the practice ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)