HSC 2012-14 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Re: MX2 Integration Marathon

Geddit. EHEHEHEHEHEHHHEEEHEH

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

So this is forbidden and incorrect?
Yes it is definitely correct, but note that what you used in your working out was sin(u) not sin(2u) like you have now.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Is this correct?
Maybe, sorry for being annoying but for this one I didn't do the question that gave out, I just look at it, determine what strategy should be used, deem if its possible etc etc, then post it. (only for integrals)

In this case, I would decide to do u=e^x, since du comes out easily. Then do partial fractions with the square root to split it up, then the substitution u = sin v, then from then on we have a trig integral, which might be computed with t=tanx/2 then partial fractions.
Or perhaps there is an easier way, I think I have stuffed up differentiating asin(e^x) - acos(e^x) + atan(e^x).

And Makematics already posted a solution on the previous page, maybe you should have a look at it?

HSC
N/A

Maybe, sorry for being annoying but for this one I didn't do the question that gave out, I just look at it, determine what strategy should be used, deem if its possible etc etc, then post it. (only for integrals)

In this case, I would decide to do u=e^x, since du comes out easily. Then do partial fractions with the square root to split it up, then the substitution u = sin v, then from then on we have a trig integral, which might be computed with t=tanx/2 then partial fractions.
Or perhaps there is an easier way, I think I have stuffed up differentiating asin(e^x) - acos(e^x) + atan(e^x).

And Makematics already posted a solution on the previous page, maybe you should have a look at it?
I did it using the trig substitution, but I'm just wondering if it can be done using the Abel transform

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC

Guys I realised my answer to the question was wrong, i stuffed up a step and realised i cant get it. wanna give it a try? seems like a good question. i reduced it to a certain point but am now stuck :/

ayecee

HSC

Here's a nice one, It's part 2 that's giving me trouble. Anyone wana give it a shot?
IMG_2356.jpg

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

http://i.imgur.com/JoNxwD2.png[img][/QUOTE]

Nice work.

[quote="ayecee, post: 6334624"]Here's a nice one, It's part 2 that's giving me trouble. Anyone wana give it a shot?
[ATTACH]28104[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

[tex]$First denote from the previous part$ [/tex]

[tex]I_k = \int_0^{\pi/2} \cos x \sin^{2k}x \ dx = \frac{1}{2k+1} [/tex]

[tex]$ii)$ [/tex]

[tex]J = \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \cos x \cos^{2n}x \ dx = \int_0^{\pi /2} \cos x (1-\sin^2 x)^n \ dx [/tex]

[tex]$By the binomial theorem$ [/tex]

[tex]J = \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \cos x -\binom{n}{1} \cos x \sin^2 x + \binom{n}{2} \cos x \sin^4 x - \dots + (-1)^n \binom{n}{n} \cos x \sin^{2n}x \ dx [/tex]

[tex]J = I_0 - \binom{n}{1} I_1 + \binom{n}{2} I_n - \dots + (-1)^n \binom{n}{n} I_n [/tex]

[tex]J = \sum_{k=0}^{n} (-1)^k I_k \binom{n}{k} \equiv \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{(-1)^k}{2k+1} \binom{n}{k} [/tex]

==========================

[tex]$Prove that$ [/tex]

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{x^4 (1-x)^4}{1+x^2} = \frac{22}{7} - \pi [/tex]

[tex]$Hence prove that$ \ \ \frac{22}{7} \ \ $exceeds$ \ \ \pi [/tex]

Last edited:
HSC

What's even easier is make a substitution u=sinx and then you'll end up with bound of 0 and 1, with (1-u^2)^n which is easier to see where the binomials come in.

ayecee

HSC

What's even easier is make a substitution u=sinx and then you'll end up with bound of 0 and 1, with (1-u^2)^n which is easier to see where the binomials come in.
That's what I did, then I didn't know what to do, havnt done binomial yet... I had a feeling it did due to the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)