HSC 2012-14 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanieg89

HSC
Re: MX2 Integration Marathon

Here are some more from me as well:

The third one is a little different in flavour.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Here is my attempt for the third one:

Is that correct?
The functional equation 2f(a)=f(a^2) is right, but your subsequent deduction isn't. You aren't far off though.

Last edited:

dunjaaa

HSC

2.Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 9.41.23 PM.png which makes sense cause the positive area cancels the negative area :)

seanieg89

HSC

Taking the seperate cases

?
This isn't the only solution to the functional equation (double it for instance and it's still a solution). More importantly though, this cannot be the correct value for the integral, because f(a) should tend to 0 as a->0.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This isn't the only solution to the functional equation (double it for instance and it's still a solution). More importantly though, this cannot be the correct value for the integral, because f(a) should tend to 0 as a->0.
Oh yes ok, how would you propose finding the constant k in the expression k ln(a)?

Are there more properties of the functions that need to be found?

seanieg89

HSC

Oh yes ok, how would you propose finding the constant k in the expression k ln(a)?

Are there more properties of the functions that need to be found?
I never said that the solution was a multiple of log(a) for a > 0, I just said that any constant multiple of log(a) satisfies the functional equation.

The functional equation itself has many solutions, but by looking at what happens near zero we can make certain deductions about what f does in various places without having to explicitly find f. We can then use another identity coming from the initial integral definition of f to use this partial information to tell us what f does everywhere.

seanieg89

HSC

Just to be clear, when you ask for an indefinite integral like this, do you want people to post a function whose derivative is equal to the integrand on some part of the real line or do you want a function whose derivative is equal to your integrand everywhere on the real line?

I think a lot of the solutions to problems like this have a slightly different expression in different parts of the domain.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad

hey sy or carrot, you were compiling this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)