HSC 2012-14 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanieg89

HSC
Re: MX2 Integration Marathon

In this question we compute the Dirichlet integral using high school methods.

Note: n ranges over the non-negative integers.

seanieg89

HSC

Dayum son
Yep. One of those ones where the difficulty is more mechanical than conceptual. (Worthwhile for any 2014'ers to crunch through the working and compare their answers with wolfram alpha's).

Dayum as in a cool proof or a hard question? I wasn't sure how much leading to do without giving it away.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Dayum as in a cool proof or a hard question? I wasn't sure how much leading to do without giving it away.
Well I mean't that it was cool, not sure if its difficult haven't tried it yet (probably is difficult considering the other questions you post lol)

seanieg89

HSC

Well I mean't that it was cool, not sure if its difficult haven't tried it yet (probably is difficult considering the other questions you post lol)
Lol. It's on the easier side of the ones that I post. There is just one thing that might be slightly difficult to spot (*), but the rest is okay.

Edit: I also take no credit for this proof, just happened to stumble across it the other day whilst reading things on the internet. It's strikingly elementary compared to most evaluations of that integral.

(*) Well, two things actually.

1. I won't spoil, it is something an MX2 student is very familiar with but they may not know it is useful in this particular situation.

2. I am guessing most students will overlook this, but looking at the limit of (1/sin(x)-1/x) as x-> 0+ is not entirely straightforward. It is enough to use x-sin(x) =< x^3/6 for positive x, which can be proven by repeated integration of (1-cos(x)) >= 0.

Last edited:

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad

Hey does anyone have the compiled copy of all these questions. Rumour was spread that int. marathon question copies were being done?

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok, it's by parts twice, letting primitive be e^x in both times.too much tex to type...

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A

Just wondering ... in uni maths, do they write infinities in the limits like this, or do they write these integrals using limit notation (different usage of the word 'limit')?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Just wondering ... in uni maths, do they write infinities in the limits like this, or do they write these integrals using limit notation (different usage of the word 'limit')?
We write infinities in the limits, very popular in Contour Integration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_contour_integration

The only time you would make the limits say 0 to N, and then make N -> infinity, is if you're analysing the limit as a value that the sequence (the integral from 0 to N) approaches. So this approach would be used say if you're finding the limiting area under the curve y=1/x^2 from 1 onwards.

But there are methods of integration where you evaluate from - infinity to infinity directly, so the whole limit to N thing is unnecessary.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

The meaning of infinities in the limits of the Riemann integral (ie improper integrals) is defined by the the limit notation you speak of braintic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)