HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekman

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

Non-inductive way of proving it (this is more of an extension 2 proof, but it should still be accepted since it says 'otherwise'):

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I know this might be a stupid thing to say but for some reason when I do circle geometry questions, its easier for me to understand it when I load it up on a computer screen then reading it off a textbook. Not sure why that is.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

This is from the Sami El Hosri Paper 7 trials

Would it be ok to say ' angles at the circumference are equal when subtended by the same chord AC' (insteading of saying the word arc'? (to express angle AEC and angle ABC)

Sometimes I see some solution say 'chord' or 'arc'.

Last edited:

_clara24

HSC

could someone please explain this to me, last question from 2010 hsc math 3u.png

thomasdo1

HSC

could someone please explain this to me, last question from 2010 hsc View attachment 32601
i] if you choose one ball, there are two possibilities, a red ball or a blue ball
if you choose two balls, there are three possibilities, 2 reds, 2 blues, or 1 red 1 blue
if you choose three balls, there are four possibilities, 3 reds, 3 blues, 2 red 1 blue, or two blue 1 red

following the pattern, choosing r balls, there are r+1 possibilities

ii] choosing (n-r) balls from n balls is nC(n-r) because groups of balls doesn't work on arrangements

using the rule, nC(n-r) = nCr we get the desired result

iii] the question asks n red balls and n blue balls (identical) and the labelled white balls

a selection of 'r' identical red and blue balls can be chosen in (r+1) ways, form part i]

therefore there are n-r white balls left, chosen in nCr ways part ii]

therefore selecting both can be made in (r+1) * nCr ways

the number of red or blue balls can go from 0 to n, so the total is sum from 0 to n [ (r+1) nCr ]

split that up into two different sums and use the answer from part b

Would it be ok to say ' angles at the circumference are equal when subtended by the same chord AC' (insteading of saying the word arc'? (to express angle AEC and angle ABC)

Sometimes I see some solution say 'chord' or 'arc'.
Yes, arc or chord, same concept

Last edited:

_clara24

HSC

i] if you choose one ball, there are two possibilities, a red ball or a blue ball
if you choose two balls, there are three possibilities, 2 reds, 2 blues, or 1 red 1 blue
if you choose three balls, there are four possibilities, 3 reds, 3 blues, 2 red 1 blue, or two blue 1 red

ii] choosing (n-r) balls from n balls is nC(n-r) because groups of balls doesn't work on arrangements

using the rule, nC(n-r) = nCr we get the desired result

iii] the question asks n red balls and n blue balls (identical) and the labelled white balls

a selection of 'r' identical red and blue balls can be chosen in (r+1) ways, form part i]

therefore there are n-r white balls left, chosen in nCr ways part ii]

therefore selecting both can be made in (r+1) * nCr ways

the number of red or blue balls can go from 0 to n, so the total is sum from 0 to n [ (r+1) nCr ]

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

_clara24

HSC

ii] choosing (n-r) balls from n balls is nc(n-r) because groups of balls doesn't work on arrangements

using the rule, nc(n-r) = ncr we get the desired result

therefore there are n-r white balls left, chosen in ncr ways part ii]

therefore selecting both can be made in (r+1) * ncr ways

the number of red or blue balls can go from 0 to n, so the total is sum from 0 to n [ (r+1) ncr ]

yes, arc or chord, same concept
thank you so much !!!

thomasdo1

HSC

ohhh, since we're assuming that for n=k, fk[x] has roots -1,-2,....-k, we can put 'a' as anything? For example a = 2 , because it still has roots -1,-2,...-k. Is this what you're saying?

thomasdo1

HSC

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think polynomials can not have negative indices. So since you know P(x)=0, you should times through by x3 at the end to leave only positive indices.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)