HSC can give you a hard time. Advise reading this. (1 Viewer)

MrTammoth

HSC
So on the last day of school i received my devastating chemistry, mathematics and maths ext1 results. It was literally that bad that i wanted to kill myself. I completely went depressed and ignore everyone around me even my friends. I've never had such poor marks in my life. It had to be during the HSC where everything goes down hill T_T.

Chemistry: 32/75 not sure what even happened. Probs just dumb as fuck and can't handle chem. Oh forgot to mention ranked 20/25 (i laughed because i failed). I was utterly terrified because i haven't ranked that low since year 7. I used to be ranked 8th.
Mathematics: 39/70 not sure wtf happened here. Ranked 38/68. So pathetic because the funny thing is i ranked top 10 last year but no that shit doesn't count of course. This just had to hit when HSC starts.
Maths ext1: BAHAHAHA dis not even gud. 31%. ferk lyfe bro. Used to rank top 10 out of 30 people. Guess what my rank is now? 27/30

It's so sad how my teachers thought i was smart as. They had so much faith in me. Even my mum thought i was doing good after parent teacher interviews. Haven't even told her my results. Once school reports come out ohhhhh man i'm soooooo dead.

Funny thing is after the last day of school i was a bloody maniac. I even went up to the head maths teacher and said if you did bad in your half yearlies am i able to rectify my marks?

Teacher replies "Nope, never seen anyone do it and you probably won't be able to cope with 3 unit maths. You should consider dropping 3 unit maths"

It's the holidays, oh hurray. NOT! Haven't communicated with anyone since this tragic event has happened. It just totally disheartened me in every way. The sense of despair crushes me.

Few days past and in the mail my mum received a mail from my school. It read that i did absolutely poor in the maths 3 unit exam. My mothers face was upset. I was speechless. She was so worried after seeing that letter. All i could think of right now is that if she is so worried right now what will happened once she see my report where it contains my poor results.

I weep everyday since last Friday and will continue to weep. I will keep telling myself that i'm the most useless person in the world that i shouldn't even exist. I have now realised after Half Yearlies how stressful the last year of school is. It can be quite devastating and sometimes you can be very selfish with your life.

I'm not sure how I'm going to rectify myself from here. I know at the end of this thread everyone will comment about how i should have better time management and organise myself better. Yes i know all this already. But it is just so hard. No words an explain how much pain and effort is needed to achieve your desired goals. My body can not operate after seeing such poor marks and disheartening advice. It just traumatises me and gives me 0 motivation.

Enjoy reading this story that i will remember forever in my life. For those who are also suffering as well you're not alone.

ps. i cried while typing this. I just needed to share and express my feelings and stories to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sorry to hear about that, but you still have >50% of your internal assessments to go, PLUS EXTERNAL HSC EXAMS

Head teachers are morons.

Read up on motivational stories, there are plenty of situations where someone has pulled it around from similar results. Use this to spur on study for the rest of the holidays, and start fresh next term, in prep for trials.

Good luck bro, if you want to talk, feel free to inbox me :)

Elise8842

HSC
N/A
What we can say probably wont make you feel too much better but I just wanna let you know: it's not the end if its not a happy ending. Just keep this in mind.

~

J280

HSC
I'm sorry to hear about that, but you still have >50% of your internal assessments to go, PLUS EXTERNAL HSC EXAMS

Head teachers are morons.

Read up on motivational stories, there are plenty of situations where someone has pulled it around from similar results. Use this to spur on study for the rest of the holidays, and start fresh next term, in prep for trials.

Good luck bro, if you want to talk, feel free to inbox me :)
Totally agree with this advice, try and consider next term a fresh start and use the holidays to your advantage :)
Remember at the end of the tunnel there is light :)
Good luck and all the best. Never give up!

kden

HSC
N/A
there is still term 2 internal assessments, TRIALS and the HSC FINALS; that's a big chunk of assessments to get your shit together, you can definitely still get a fairly high atar

everyone says it but yes you are just going to have to commit to the next exams, why don't you just tell you just talk to your mum about how nothing came together in these assessments or whatever
the HSC is definitely not over yet, people have gone from a 16/20 first assessment in english advanced to state rank... how about that

oh and i failed my first english asessment.... don't get too down

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I failed my first English Inclass essay. I worked out my major issue was timing, next essay I worked on time spent on next paragraph. Next in class essay I did a lot better.

You still have a lot of assessments left! The importance thing is to learn where you went wrong, and take as a challenge to do better in your upcoming assessments/trials etc.

buriza

conviction
HSC
So on the last day of school i received my devastating chemistry, mathematics and maths ext1 results. It was literally that bad that i wanted to kill myself. I completely went depressed and ignore everyone around me even my friends. I've never had such poor marks in my life. It had to be during the HSC where everything goes down hill T_T.

Chemistry: 32/75 not sure what even happened. Probs just dumb as fuck and can't handle chem. Oh forgot to mention ranked 20/25 (i laughed because i failed). I was utterly terrified because i haven't ranked that low since year 7. I used to be ranked 8th.
Mathematics: 39/70 not sure wtf happened here. Ranked 38/68. So pathetic because the funny thing is i ranked top 10 last year but no that shit doesn't count of course. This just had to hit when HSC starts.
Maths ext1: BAHAHAHA dis not even gud. 31%. ferk lyfe bro. Used to rank top 10 out of 30 people. Guess what my rank is now? 27/30

It's so sad how my teachers thought i was smart as. They had so much faith in me. Even my mum thought i was doing good after parent teacher interviews. Haven't even told her my results. Once school reports come out ohhhhh man i'm soooooo dead.

Funny thing is after the last day of school i was a bloody maniac. I even went up to the head maths teacher and said if you did bad in your half yearlies am i able to rectify my marks?

Teacher replies "Nope, never seen anyone do it and you probably won't be able to cope with 3 unit maths. You should consider dropping 3 unit maths"

It's the holidays, oh hurray. NOT! Haven't communicated with anyone since this tragic event has happened. It just totally disheartened me in every way. The sense of despair crushes me.

Few days past and in the mail my mum received a mail from my school. It read that i did absolutely poor in the maths 3 unit exam. My mothers face was upset. I was speechless. She was so worried after seeing that letter. All i could think of right now is that if she is so worried right now what will happened once she see my report where it contains my poor results.

I weep everyday since last Friday and will continue to weep. I will keep telling myself that i'm the most useless person in the world that i shouldn't even exist. I have now realised after Half Yearlies how stressful the last year of school is. It can be quite devastating and sometimes you can be very selfish with your life.

I'm not sure how I'm going to rectify myself from here. I know at the end of this thread everyone will comment about how i should have better time management and organise myself better. Yes i know all this already. But it is just so hard. No words an explain how much pain and effort is needed to achieve your desired goals. My body can not operate after seeing such poor marks and disheartening advice. It just traumatises me and gives me 0 motivation.

Enjoy reading this story that i will remember forever in my life. For those who are also suffering as well you're not alone.

ps. i cried while typing this. I just needed to share and express my feelings and stories to everyone.
I can understand your grave disappointment and perhaps even devastation in response to your marks, however try to remind yourself that you do still have another half of the year left, which does include the trials and the HSC. Look at it this way: either you do not give yourself a chance and you return to this emotional state of crisis six months later or you pick yourself up and improve. It is alright to be selfish and prioritise yourself during this academic year, after all a good well-being will be likely to maximise your results.

With that said, please do not determine your worth as a human being by the marks you receive. You are worth far more than that at the end of the day and I hope that you do not continue to experience suicidal/aggressive tendencies as a result of school. You are not useless. You do deserve to exist. I believe that you do have the strength to recover from this. Just give yourself some time and if even needed, you can talk to your school about helping you with this as well, i.e. considering your academic marks in light of your emotional state or giving you extensions for further tasks. Your mother should help you as well regardless of whether or not you have met expectations.

Good luck. :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Results are only devastating in a long lasting way if you leave them as they are and don't take some action to improve your study method or identify factors that have contributed to these results. There is nothing in this world worth killing yourself for-NOTHING. You were born for a reason-at the minimum, give the HSC your very best shot. Those who fail and give up is far weaker than those who fail and keep going.

I will strongly give you one piece of advice, don't compare yourself with other people-compare yourself with YOURSELF. I learnt this the hard way in year 9 and 10 where I suffered some severe depression because I was constantly comparing my self according to how others was performing.

The best thing to do is to transform this into motivation and work even harder. Transform your perspective-you are empowered to be happy and to keep going regardless of what others think!

Stop weeping, start studying! http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html -have a look at this senior study guide I have compiled-it will give you some much needed study tips. Just one last motivational boost, I got less than 50% for my first maths extension one test and it was the first test I have literally failed in highschool, you can imagine my shock at that point, but I never gave up-I didn't let these small results define me, I just kept going and keep trying.

A motto I live by is when one fails, they just pick themselves up, dust themselves off and try again. DON'T GIVE UP. I wish you all the very best in your HSC studies. If you have any questions about anything, please ask on bored of studies or consult with a trustworthy person:)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

No, you're not ''dumb as fuck'' and it's not like you ''can't handle Chem''. You used to be 8th, remember? (not sure if that's your Year 11 rank or Year 12 rank before the exams but either way, you're clearly capable at it).

Look at the exam again. Where did you go wrong? Did you not know the syllabus well enough to answer the questions? Did you stuff your calculations? Did you stuff up prac questions? Did sillies cost you too many marks?

As for 2U/MX1 - look, your year 11 and year 12 won't be directly related. Things can go downhill for people (it happens more often than you think) but the question is whether you'll keep going downhill or will you rectify the problem?

By the end of Year 11, I was ranked 5th out of like... 100+ kids for MX1.

My first Year 12 MX1 exam, I got 69% (which was my lowest mark in maths - whether it be 2U/3U/4U - in both Years 11 and 12 in the end) and started off with a rank of 51st. So I dropped by 45~ ranks for MX1.

So it all went wrong. In the end, I could never recover my Year 11 2U/MX1 standards for MX1 or MX2 (I knew I couldn't due to the competition) BUT for MX1, I ended up being in the top 25 by the end for Year 12 internally (point is... I didn't give up).

For MX1 and MX2, I scored an E4 HSC mark for both (HSC mark 94 for MX1 - 92 exam mark/95 assessment mark and HSC mark 90 for MX2 - 91 exam mark/88 assessment mark) which eventually helped me attain my goal of all-rounders.

Don't let those 5 units of subjects (Chem, 2U, MX1) defeat you. The HSC is about an overall performance of 8 units + 2 units of English.

Like many people will tell you, 'you can make a comeback in the following assessments' --> sometimes it happens, other times it won't (thats reality), But as long as you stay in the marathon mentally, there's always a chance something might happen. I could never gain back my Year 11 MX1 rank but in the end, I achieved my more important goals anyways (through being consistent across all my subjects rather than pouring all my effort into MX1 and neglecting my other subjects).

And since I've been through that same crushing 'sense of despair' (after receiving my first Year 12 MX1 result), I know how you feel. But in the end, you'll eventually get over it.

As for your mum, I believe she'll understand that you just had a bad exam week. She's worried about you (how you feel about it), not the results.

I weeped as well (for a few days as well) for that first Year 12 MX1 exam result (it was only 10% weighting...). It's all human, buddy.

And don't bloody say you are useless and shouldn't exist over some exams.

As for low motivation, I'll be honest - I was never the same for maths (MX1/MX2) after the Year 12 first MX1 exam. I continuously underperformed for Year 12 maths (relative to Year 11) in terms of my expectations and only made 1 inspiring performance internally (Year 12 MX1 trials where I got 67/70 to boost myself into the top 25). This shit can dishearten and traumatise you.

However, my maths disappointment(s) never affected my other subs. I didn't let it prevent me from doing well in my other subjects like Advanced English (91 HSC mark), internally 3rd in Economics (93 HSC mark), internally 2nd in Business Studies (96 HSC mark).

It's going to be bloody hard to get your goals with these setbacks. By the odds, you probably won't achieve them. That's the harsh reality. But in the end, don't stop believing. Keep going to the bitter end. It could very well be a nice ending.

''Maybe there isn't (any hope left). But facing the impossible odds isn't enough to make me give up!''

HSC_killer

HSC
N/A
Bro trust me, heateachers are moron especially the maths & science ones! Me too in yr 11 I was smashing tight with this wanna be doctor kid and at the end of yr 11 i dropped from being first or second in all my subjects (maths and 3 science) to the bottom 1% of all subjects! I was so pissed and devastated, but hey HSC is a marathon, not a sprint, so you have got the chance to beat everyone! If you believe in yourself and work hard to your best max ability, there is no chance than you would fail this and trust me, you are capable to achieving whether you believe me or not. Currently Im ranked second in chem, second in phys, 5 in bio and about 6 in maths and english about 5th i think (standard) and you know what? Im competing against wannabe doctors and even though they do the asian combo (4U&3U, chem, phys and adv eng) and they are topping it, I am not giving up, in fact I am aiming to beat them. IT ALL ABOUT THE MOST CONSISTENT, pull yourself up and use this as an experience of what to do's and what to not do's and ameliorate yourself everyday because the only difference between those 99.95 kids and you, is only the hard work input and the consistency and their motivations. Find a motivation, use it, and you will do fine trust me

MrTammoth

HSC
Thanks guys. You're all very supportive and you have all changed my life.

I still can't believe i went through such depression that it actually really affected my ability to concentrate.

I have now overcome my depression and anxiety that has been hindering me for a long time.

After my half yearlies i was actually considering dropping school as i thought i would under perform again in my trials.

But actually putting my head down during the time between, was actually very worth as i segregated from my peers and worked my butt off every break and lunch in the library. I now can officially say that i love the library and it will be called my second home.

Without your advice and support i would not have been here! I am so close to finishing HSC now only 9 weeks!

MrTammoth

HSC
Thanks I love you guys. You guys are my real friends.

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Well done, bro! The HSC never defines you as a person, and is absolutely no reliable indicator of your true inner ability. For me, the best way to overcome my (many) failures is to leave the past in the past, and go conquer the future. Too much worrying over 'what I could have been' takes time away from moving towards what I can be in the future!

GL with the next few weeks, which we all are certainly looking forward to finishing with, and good luck with UNI. And excuse my ignorance... what is diagnostic radiography? It sounds interesting!

MrTammoth

HSC
Well done, bro! The HSC never defines you as a person, and is absolutely no reliable indicator of your true inner ability. For me, the best way to overcome my (many) failures is to leave the past in the past, and go conquer the future. Too much worrying over 'what I could have been' takes time away from moving towards what I can be in the future!

GL with the next few weeks, which we all are certainly looking forward to finishing with, and good luck with UNI. And excuse my ignorance... what is diagnostic radiography? It sounds interesting!
Cheers man!

Diagnostic radiographers work closely with radiologists to employ a range of technologies, according to the information provided in a medical practitioner's request, to create images that can help to provide an accurate diagnosis. They work closely with cardiologists in imaging heart disease, with surgeons during a range of operations, and with emergency doctors in the emergency room.

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Cheers man!

Diagnostic radiographers work closely with radiologists to employ a range of technologies, according to the information provided in a medical practitioner's request, to create images that can help to provide an accurate diagnosis. They work closely with cardiologists in imaging heart disease, with surgeons during a range of operations, and with emergency doctors in the emergency room.
Right, thanks!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)