HSC English --> Ask your questions (1 Viewer)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Okay thank you and if I could clarify just one more thing about creative, it is okay to end the piece sadly ie the person doesn't belong right?
It should be fine, but most stories that I've read focus on a character belonging at the end, but by all means it should be fine... but I reckon you should have an idea for a creative wear your character does belong at the end!

Aindan

HSC
hi ace thanks for your time in helping 2011'ers
in regards to your approach of adapting your memorised essays to the question? (i may be wrong assuming that you have memorised but i read somewhere that you wrote 1500 words an essay so if you didn't have a preprepared essay bravo!)
how much did you change?
i.e. right now when I practise I make a brand new thesis, topic sentences and linking back sentences but I keep all my textual evidence and analysis pretty much the same, maybe changing a few words here and there. is this the right approach?
thanks

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
hi ace thanks for your time in helping 2011'ers
in regards to your approach of adapting your memorised essays to the question? (i may be wrong assuming that you have memorised but i read somewhere that you wrote 1500 words an essay so if you didn't have a preprepared essay bravo!)
how much did you change?
i.e. right now when I practise I make a brand new thesis, topic sentences and linking back sentences but I keep all my textual evidence and analysis pretty much the same, maybe changing a few words here and there. is this the right approach?
thanks
as much as I'd like to say I didn't memorise my essays, truth be told I memorised mod A, mod C and belonging + creative. (basically everything except module B)
as for me, the questions worked well, so I only had to add in some stuff to my introduction and conclusion and I made sure I made a sound link to the question at the beginning and end of each paragraph, even if that meant I changed my entire topic sentence at times. Your approach seems fine, sometimes you might be able to use your same thesis and that's what happened to me for all my questions except the belonging one, which I had to change... as long as you make links to the question and you make it seem as if though your response was written for the question asked, you're safe. that said, some of my friends never memorised essays but did really really well.. so it comes down to the person I guess.
also I did have few spare paragraphs written, just in case I couldn't work with my pre written essay! all the best!

Jokar

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey ace, How would I go about splitting a Mod C (justice game-Conflicting perspectives) essay, cause I'm trying to use the structure essay1 Related Essay 2 related. My thesis is along the lines of, how conflicting perspectives widens our ability to gain insight although it can become limited by the author. Right now I'm having trouble splitting my essay into 2 points(each consisting of an essay and related) cause my prescribed argues a issue while my related argue another issue. Thanks, Jokar

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Hey ace, How would I go about splitting a Mod C (justice game-Conflicting perspectives) essay, cause I'm trying to use the structure essay1 Related Essay 2 related. My thesis is along the lines of, how conflicting perspectives widens our ability to gain insight although it can become limited by the author. Right now I'm having trouble splitting my essay into 2 points(each consisting of an essay and related) cause my prescribed argues a issue while my related argue another issue. Thanks, Jokar
with conflicting perspectives it becomes very messy if you alteranate

so do:
prescribe 1st and complete it and then move on to your related.. that should solve the problem, but however draw on the similarity that they both present conflicting perspectives on the same topic but may be privilege one more that the other. (you can use this statement as a linking device so that your additional texts doesn't sit in your essay awkwardly with no connection to ur prescribed text)

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
For AoS, would we need to provide about 3-4 sentences giving a short synopsis of the prescribed text [poems]? (I'm choosing two poems from my prescribed text, so a short synopsis for each paragraph I introduce these poems?). Do we assume the marker does not know the PT?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
For AoS, would we need to provide about 3-4 sentences giving a short synopsis of the prescribed text [poems]? (I'm choosing two poems from my prescribed text, so a short synopsis for each paragraph I introduce these poems?). Do we assume the marker does not know the PT?
3- 4 seems too long, may be do one line summarising very briefly the plot outline. yes, the markers would no your prescribed texts, so don't do the whole retelling thing!

HSC
Last question I promise! How many marks is usually deducted for say an essay that doesn't exactly answer the question or a creative story that doesn't incorporate the stimulus?

uirate

HSC
For the belonging essay, my prescribed is romulus my father. The generic essays focus on Romulus and Raimond as the two main characters in relation to belonging. Is anyone here not doing this and is instead focusing on raimond and christine, or romulus and christine? Should i include all 3 characters in my essay?? i'm a little lost please help

Tacitus

HSC
For the belonging essay, my prescribed is romulus my father. The generic essays focus on Romulus and Raimond as the two main characters in relation to belonging. Is anyone here not doing this and is instead focusing on raimond and christine, or romulus and christine? Should i include all 3 characters in my essay?? i'm a little lost please help
All three should probably be acknowledged in your essay, but you don't need to provide a comprehensive analysis on all three. Hell, you could focus exclusively on one character and explain how the other two play a role in his/her belonging process.

Tacitus

HSC
Last question I promise! How many marks is usually deducted for say an essay that doesn't exactly answer the question or a creative story that doesn't incorporate the stimulus?
If it's an obviously memorized response, your best bet is about 15-16/20. That would be a mind-blowingly good irrelevant essay though.

im a nerd

HSC
Hi Ace,

Im so lost for Module C :( Im doing Denise Levertov poems, and I dont quite get what they markers are looking for in relation to form. In the marking guidelines, this came up " Evaluates skillfully the relationship between representation and meaning" What exactly does this mean? How the poems allow for the composer to get her message across of ?

Also, my related is a memoir and im not quite sure how to explain the importance of a memoir in relation to the module :(
Thank you so much for your time !

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
14 -15? my guess is a low B - because high B's and A's engage with the question effectively

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Hi Ace,

Im so lost for Module C :( Im doing Denise Levertov poems, and I dont quite get what they markers are looking for in relation to form. In the marking guidelines, this came up " Evaluates skillfully the relationship between representation and meaning" What exactly does this mean? How the poems allow for the composer to get her message across of ?

Also, my related is a memoir and im not quite sure how to explain the importance of a memoir in relation to the module :(
Thank you so much for your time !
form basically means how the poetic devices used in the poem allow the poem to convey a particular meaning.. as in the metaphor in a poem, allows this ____________ and a smile shows ____________point of view. so basically they get their message across through the use of poetic devices (such as metaphors, similes, imagery, alliteration etc) to privilege a particular perspective/viewpoint.

Jesseth

HSC
If I have a creative story that fits under the catergory of both belonging for advanced and crime writing for extension, can I use it for both?

E

Effekt

Is it best to write a creative writing piece from first person? or engage the marker into the story by using a collaboration?

jung1239

HSC
Lol, do you have any techniques or things i should do in the Comprehension? I'm not doing so well in it :(

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
If I have a creative story that fits under the catergory of both belonging for advanced and crime writing for extension, can I use it for both?
not sure with this scenario.. sorry. but my guess would be no

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Is it best to write a creative writing piece from first person? or engage the marker into the story by using a collaboration?
first or third person is both OK. 2nd person is a NO NO!
third person can be harder to do, but if used well, works at ur advantage.. first person is relatively easy to do and will definitely provides engagement!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)